Live From Viking Star -- 18 March 2024 to 01 April 2024 -- Transatlantic FLL/BCN

FetaCheese

4 minutes ago, Traveling Light said:

So glad they're holding departure. Hope you all make it on board.  The pilot is patiently waiting.

PXL_20240318_223015446.MP.jpg

Is there a large welcome committee hanging over the side?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello all, OP here.

Flight arrived 4 pm with all bags.  V rep was waiting at bag claim with manifest.  Told to wait at seating area with bags until all pax were here, some from ORD.  A short wait, then we were led to coach.

Was disappointed that V did not porter bags, so got our own with 2 pax we knew from PHL gate.

The coach was about half full already, but enough seats for all.  FLL very close to port, but with traffic exiting airport, about a 15 min. ride.  Driver did load and offload bags at term.

Claimed bags and handed off to port porters, who were waiting for us, the last coach to arrive.

Security and check in very quick, and we boarded ship.  Short safety briefing, then went to cabin.  Bags arrived a few min. later.

Unpacked, ordered a room service cheese plate, which is of excellent quality, no feta cheese however!  Getting ready for dinner.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

We're still here. 9:20 PM. But looks like they've pulled in the gangway. 

I just came here to see if there's any word on this further delay ... but everyone seems to be quite happy in the Explorers Lounge for now.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

We're still here. 9:20 PM. But looks like they've pulled in the gangway. 

I was just looking at Cruisemapper to see if you were underway.  Maybe there were more late pax.

Still here. The bug gangway was pulled in before. Just now 2 people got on and they are folding up the sign on the little lower gangway. All pulled in now. 

When sailing out of Ft Lauderdale I always love the condo buildings that wave and scream and yell. It's after 10 PM on a Monday. We'll see, but I'd be in bed!

We love watching the pilot / boat leaving too. It’s a rather poignant moment, especially when having just embarked or about to do a sea crossing - “now alone on the sea, till the next port, and the cruise has really begun” 🙂 

I’m really glad to hear you all made it on time, despite the flight delays.  Now relax and enjoy your cruise.  Thanks for posting. I enjoy following along with these ‘live’ threads 🙂 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Was good to hear John -- singer/guitarist in Explorers last evening.  We remembered his fine, talented performances from Sea in December 2022.  Conversations can be had during his repertoire.

Last night went to Restaurant at 8, waited about 10 min.,  even for share, so went down to Manfredis to enquire if they could take us as walk in.  No problem.  Went back up to get Mrs. FetaCheese, still waiting.

Enjoyed an excellent meal.  Quality seemed better than prior December/January 2024 Hawaiian Islands Sojourn.  Exec Chef Joseph Dabassious is back.

Menu is same as before.  Fried shrimp/calamari app was fabulous, lightly breaded, lightly fried.  A very large quantity.  So delicious.  Shared a salumiere app, good quality and presentation.

Mrs. had beef short ribs entree, with half portion of Spaghetti Carbonara, both excellent.  I will order the Carbonara next time. I had Viking Bistecca, cooked to my preference, also excellent.  Shared a Castanea dessert.IMG_20240318_205338887.thumb.jpg.ba5bb7d8fcbe013b1ff5a8ce7eb076e9.jpgIMG_20240318_205354248.thumb.jpg.68282bd181c5e1d6cda73c01220e3ab2.jpgIMG_20240318_211842738.thumb.jpg.06ee333f926b55604480e5bbcc9cce78.jpg

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 3

Love the video of the pilot boat  and your send off. 

Also love the pictures of Feta's of Manfredi's dinner. 

My sister and I love eating there the first night on board.

It is a great way to start your cruise.

A variety of interesting  lectures await you all  on this lovely TA. Thanks for the lists posted.

How many are on board making this wonderful  Atlantic crossing?

Keep your pictures and videos coming for  us land lock viewers.

• Like 2

It was fun and nice to meet you and Mrs FetaCheese!! I'm at the thalassotherapy pool. Exercised for an hour, now drying off. In my stateroom there was an invitation to a solo cruisers dinner in Manfredi's private dining room at 6. So I'll go to that. Had the solo cruisers meet up this morning at 10:30 in Wintergarden. Was very nice. Slept in until 9:30. Overcast and a bit rainy today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 1:10 PM, stretchcruz said:

It was fun and nice to meet you and Mrs FetaCheese!! I'm at the thalassotherapy pool. Exercised for an hour, now drying off. In my stateroom there was an invitation to a solo cruisers dinner in Manfredi's private dining room at 6. So I'll go to that. Had the solo cruisers meet up this morning at 10:30 in Wintergarden. Was very nice. Slept in until 9:30. Overcast and a bit rainy today.

Off to a favulous start, Dobie!  Enjoy - Carpe Diem !!

Today, arrival to St. Martin has been advanced 1 hour, to 11 am.  Tonight, a BBQ dinner is planned for the pool deck, with roof retracted.  All entertainers are scheduled also, with dancing under the stars.

(Yesterday, pool roof was partially opened in afternoon)

Today, weather is sunny, clear and up to 79 f.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Today, arrival to St. Martin has been advanced 1 hour, to 11 am.  Tonight, a BBQ dinner is planned for the pool deck, with roof retracted.  All entertainers are scheduled also, with dancing under the stars.

(Yesterday, pool roof was partially opened in afternoon)

Today, weather is sunny, clear and up to 79 f.

The weather sounds perfect!  Do you have anything planned?  DH did the America's Cup Regatta and really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Paul Wyman is definitely worth going to listen to😄

hope you all have a great voyage

Attended his CIA museum lecture, presenting  interesting facts about spies and tools of the spies. Also spoke about the spy Moe Berg.  Another lecture is scheduled for today, the CIA museum, what you missed the first time.

• Like 1