Live From Viking Star -- 18 March 2024 to 01 April 2024 -- Transatlantic FLL/BCN

FetaCheese

I’ve really been enjoying reading your Live thread! 🧵 🪡

I’ll miss you all even though I’m not on the ship! 

Wishing you all an abundance of traveling mercies on your way home or on your further adventures! 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

What happened to the lady that had a mishap in the World Cafe that required major medical attention?  Heard about it on the bus today.

Edited by hutch1994

Don't know how they transported the luggage today from the ship, but my purple Travelpro looks like it was dragged front side down on the ground for some distance.  Took a beating.  Very disappointed in the handling of luggage.

1 hour ago, hutch1994 said:

Don't know how they transported the luggage today from the ship, but my purple Travelpro looks like it was dragged front side down on the ground for some distance.  Took a beating.  Very disappointed in the handling of luggage.

Yeah - hard to hire good help these days, even in foreign countries!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

What happened to the lady that had a mishap in the World Cafe that required major medical attention?  Heard about it on the bus today.

Ref. post #147. 🍺🥌

On 3/31/2024 at 7:25 PM, Liz Masterson said:

I’ve really been enjoying reading your Live thread! 🧵 🪡

I’ll miss you all even though I’m not on the ship! 

Wishing you all an abundance of traveling mercies on your way home or on your further adventures! 

@Liz Masterson

Thanks for your kind comments.  I enjoyed posting.  I've learned a lot from CC regulars and hope my live from will help pax, both newbies and repeaters.

• Like 3

We arrived into Barcelona a little earlier than planned, due to medical emergency.  However, Tours ran at scheduled times.  All pax - even if staying onboard - were required to disembark for face to face passport control in term., which was very efficient.

We had purchased timed independent tkts to La Sagrada Familia from home, on-line only.  After morning packing and lunch, we took a taxi to LSF.  Driver told me taxis have a surcharge for pickup/drop-off at cruise term.  Again, I thought we tourists were taken the long way to ship from LSF, as fare was €5 more than going there.

Unfortunately, the rain started just as we arrived, and had to wait across from entrance, as they don't let you in until either 20 or 30 min earlier than time on tkts. (different guards, different answers - just like V telephone reps!)

We had purchased guided tkts , and met our guide at appropriate time.  Excellent English, and a very knowledgeable guide.  They use Q Vox like devices.  Would have liked to stay downtown after tour, but was raining very hard, so taxied back to ship.  Then Had a coffee at LR, when we saw @stretchcruz , and invited them to join us for a nice chat.

After a nice dinner in Restaurant, went to aforementioned 8 pm Dest Performance, which was really entertaining.  Then back to cabin, as we had a 7:15am airport transfer.

Our group was called on time, and was led to disembark ship.  Luggage was all grouped by color, and we found our bags.  Lots of ground reps and porters available. (In my opinion, it amazes me that so many pax don't use porters - after spending many thousands of dollars for the cruise - a couple dollars per bag tip - makes luggage handling so easy.)

About a half hour ride to BCN, Coach unloaded at term 1.  Bags offloaded and identified, handed over to Viking provided porters, to take to check-in counter.  A V rep was with our group to lead us to appropriate airline counter.

I must emphasize that I was quite impressed with the efficiency of the entire disembarkation and airport transfer operation.  Thank you Viking.

After check-in, we were fortunate to be able to use the fast lane security line and then on to the "Joan Miro" lounge.  This was by far the finest airport lounge we've been to.  

After a short visit we then walked, and walked, and walked to our gate, the last gate in area E.  Was hard to believe, but AA plane was not there.  Pax were bussed to Plane at  different term (2).  We did not want to use escalator to tarmac level, so asked if elevator was available.  Yes, so We were then asked to wait aside.  The adventure began.

We were part of a group of 6 pax, who took elevator down, where a special transfer vehicle was waiting to transfer us to board aircraft.  Elevator platform to load us in.  Drove to plane, then vehicle elevated to starboard side where we just walked into plane from front of vehicle. (I do not like to use escalators with carry-on luggage, and not handicapped, so that's why I requested elevator To tarmac.  Didn't know that we would be transferred the above way.).

An airport rep accompanied us the entire time, checking manifest, passports, and boarding passes multiple times.  Again, hard to understand why sometimes, pax have to walk up stairs to board aircraft, when jetways have been standard for decades.  

• Like 4

Again, a wonderful cruise experience on Viking.  Met many interesting, well traveled and friendly pax.  Enjoyed many of the 4 lecturers' presentations, especially the CIA agent, Don Wyman. 

Meals were very nice.  Always many choices available in both Restaurant, WC and Manfredi's.  (Didn't dine in CT).  Yes, a few misses, but nothing about which to complain.  Included Wines were satisfactory to very fine.  A different red or white was always available when asked.

Crew and staff were uniformly friendly, hard working, and always eager to accommodate any wishes. Our Cabin Stewards were very efficient and friendly, and maintained our cabin in excellent condition every day. ( Cabin had a couple maintenance issues, and once reported, were quicky addressed to our satisfaction.)

Was pleased with entire entertainment team, especially cast of 4 vocalists, and John, guitarist/singer, and Simina, pianist.  CD Damian was always visible, and took time to chat with us, and many other pax.  One of the finest CDs we've encountered in over 40 years of  around 50 cruises.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Again, a wonderful cruise experience on Viking.  Met many interesting, well traveled and friendly pax.  Enjoyed many of the 4 lecturers' presentations, especially the CIA agent, Don Wyman. 

Meals were very nice.  Always many choices available in both Restaurant, WC and Manfredi's.  (Didn't dine in CT).  Yes, a few misses, but nothing about which to complain.  Included Wines were satisfactory to very fine.  A different red or white was always available when asked.

Crew and staff were uniformly friendly, hard working, and always eager to accommodate any wishes. Our Cabin Stewards were very efficient and friendly, and maintained our cabin in excellent condition every day. ( Cabin had a couple maintenance issues, and once reported, were quicky addressed to our satisfaction.)

Was pleased with entire entertainment team, especially cast of 4 vocalists, and John, guitarist/singer, and Simina, pianist.  CD Damian was always visible, and took time to chat with us, and many other pax.  One of the finest CDs we've encountered in over 40 years of  around 50 cruises.

Yes thanks for your wonderful reports and taking all that time to inform us of your wonderful adventures!  We do appreciate it.   And glad you got to meet Dobie as well.

Where and when's the next big adventure?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes thanks for your wonderful reports and taking all that time to inform us of your wonderful adventures!  We do appreciate it.   And glad you got to meet Dobie as well.

Where and when's the next big adventure?

@CCWineLover

Thank you for your appreciation.  Yes, met Dobie, and had a few meals together.

Nothing booked yet.  Considering an O cruise for Nov 2024.  I had purchased a Future Cruise Deposit Certificate last Sept, when on Regatta Alaska cruise, so focusing on O now, which we really enjoy.  Similar to V in many ways.

• Like 1

@shipboy

A funny story I didn't mention about my time in Deck 1 bubbler pool:

I was on the Star in Dec 2023/Jan 2024 for Hawaiian Islands Sojourn.  While in this pool 1 day, my ship card escaped from my bathing suit, floating to the bottom under the tubular bars.

I could see it it, and tried to retrieve it myself, to no avail.  Embarrassed, I went to GS to request the pool attendant to retrieve it, and they said they would get it when they empty the pool for cleaning. They made me a replacement card.

Guess what?  It was still there at the bottom on this voyage !

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

@shipboy

A funny story I didn't mention about my time in Deck 1 bubbler pool:

I was on the Star in Dec 2023/Jan 2024 for Hawaiian Islands Sojourn.  While in this pool 1 day, my ship card escaped from my bathing suit, floating to the bottom under the tubular bars.

I could see it it, and tried to retrieve it myself, to no avail.  Embarrassed, I went to GS to request the pool attendant to retrieve it, and they said they would get it when they empty the pool for cleaning. They made me a replacement card.

Hey Feta....

We forgot to exchange contact information. I'm dobiev at comcast dot net. Send me an email when you get a chance!! I'm sure I'll have questions in the future about stuff. I really enjoyed my time in Madrid. My private guide was absolutely awesome and really took care of me because I killed my back that morning. He had me hold his arm climbing stairs etc and he was so smart and informative! Best thing I did was hire him!

3 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

How lovely! A part of you is always cruising with Viking. 

On the other hand, that makes me wonder about the cleanliness of the pool... 

• Like 2

Got hit with a false charge from the Intercontinental Madrid post extension stay.  Be careful when checking out of hotels.  Protesting it now.  Very disappointed in this.  Thought it was a better caliber of hotel than this.

57 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Got hit with a false charge from the Intercontinental Madrid post extension stay.  Be careful when checking out of hotels.  Protesting it now.  Very disappointed in this.  Thought it was a better caliber of hotel than this.

Thanks for the heads up- we’ll be there for our post extension stay in May. 

6 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

This is the usual way it is done. If you have no charges, it will disappear in a few days. Hotels do this to cover themselves in case you charge something that shows up later. No big deal, but the first time it happens to you, it is scary.

• Like 1