Thematic deck parties

Hello, all! We'll be traveling on the Grand Princess as it relocates from Sydney to San Francisco in April 2024. We've been on several cruises before & noticed there are often thematic deck parties such as tropical, 70s, 80s, etc. We've looked all over the Princess website & also contacted our Princess Vacation Planner but have been unable to find any information regarding possible thematic deck parties so we can make sure to pack properly. Do any of you have any information that could help us plan for thematic deck parties on this 26-day Grand Princess cruise. You help is much appreciated!

• Like 1

We have definitely seen the 80's parties on all of our recent cruises - and they are awesome!

Some people have mentioned White and Gold parties, but we haven't seemed to run into one of those yet.

On our upcoming Norway cruise which goes in to the Arctic Circle, I hear they hold a Midnight Sun deck party at Midnight - so pretty excited about that!

• Like 1

There's usually a party when crossing the Equator, which involves kissing a fish.  Cruise entertainment staff take sign ups.  The theme is usually Greek, meaning togas.  People borrowed bedsheets from their cabin stewards.

• Haha 1

Nothing special to pack. Just show up in clothing you are comfortable with. Any deck party will be most likely in warm climate, so shorts and such are the norm. There was an 80's deck party last week. I did not notice anyone in special clothing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Adding lots of people were dressed up in 80's clothing on our last couple cruises. 

Lots of neon and big hair mullets!

80's trivia, 80's movies (Back to the Future), 80's music all day at the pool and an 80's deck party or party in the piazza (we've had parties both places, due to weather). 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Different people may identify with the 80’s in very different ways. For some, their memory of the 80’s might be hearing Madonna songs in a nightclub. For others it might be Saturday morning cartoons and Super Mario Brothers on the Nintendo. For the average Princess Cruise passenger, their memory of the 80’s may be of the time when they finally became eligible to collect social security 

Edited by mrrom92
  • Haha 3

I don't remember any themed deck parties on any of my Princess cruises... but I have only cruised Princess to Alaska.  They really don't have any deck parties in the evening in Alaska.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

17 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

80's is the definite one this year.

Not sure what other themed deck parties they'll have.

Curious to see if your Princess Vacation Planner mentioned the 80's one?

Thank you for the information, No, the Vacation Cruise Planner did not mention the 80's deck party. After reading the comments on my question it sounds as though an 80's party is definite.

16 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We have definitely seen the 80's parties on all of our recent cruises - and they are awesome!

Some people have mentioned White and Gold parties, but we haven't seemed to run into one of those yet.

On our upcoming Norway cruise which goes in to the Arctic Circle, I hear they hold a Midnight Sun deck party at Midnight - so pretty excited about that!

That sounds perfect. Enjoy your Midnight Sun deck party!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SCX22 said:

There's usually a party when crossing the Equator, which involves kissing a fish.  Cruise entertainment staff take sign ups.  The theme is usually Greek, meaning togas.  People borrowed bedsheets from their cabin stewards.

Thanks for the information. We'll get ready to wear togas and kiss a fish@

At all the 80's dress parties I've seen, no one seems to dress any differently than the clothing they wear to dinner. Many people wearing shorts especially if it's a warm night on deck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 555 said:

At all the 80's dress parties I've seen, no one seems to dress any differently than the clothing they wear to dinner. Many people wearing shorts especially if it's a warm night on deck.

It must differ for different sailings. 

The ones out of Los Angeles have lots of guests donning their 80's wear!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Think the white and gold was the 2022/2023 season. Looks like it's been replaced by the 80's.

We thank Sirius radio for our kids knowing 80's songs and lyrics!  Love Shack, baaay-beeee!  

Midnight Sun is a bucket list for us - your party sounds so cool!

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mrrom92 said:

Different people may identify with the 80’s in very different ways. For some, their memory of the 80’s might be hearing Madonna songs in a nightclub. For others it might be Saturday morning cartoons and Super Mario Brothers on the Nintendo. For the average Princess Cruise passenger, their memory of the 80’s may be of the time when they finally became eligible to collect social security 

If I did my math right, anybody who received their first SS check in the 1980's is now over 100 years old.  I doubt any are still cruising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HotRoot said:

If I did my math right, anybody who received their first SS check in the 1980's is now over 100 years old.  I doubt any are still cruising.

The demographic is shifting - when we first started cruising there was a lot of 50's and 60's music and trivia. But it has evolved to 70's and now 80's as more the focal point which shows the transition to a new generation of late Baby Boomers and Gen Xers moving into our retirement years. But still ever so cool!!

• Like 1

The 80's was the era of the big hair bands and was when MTV actually meant "Music TV" and had lots of music videos. We used to watch them with the kids. Never wore platform shoes or bell bottom pants. Absolutely hated Disco.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

The demographic is shifting - when we first started cruising there was a lot of 50's and 60's music and trivia. But it has evolved to 70's and now 80's as more the focal point which shows the transition to a new generation of late Baby Boomers and Gen Xers moving into our retirement years. But still ever so cool!!

The last time we did 70's music trivia on Princess we were blown away as to how poorly we did. Of course that was due to the trivia being run by the DJ who seemed to think 70's music was almost exclusively disco. GAH!!! Not only did we not listen to disco but didn't know anybody else who liked that dreck. We listened to music pretty much constantly back then but apparently, at least in the mind of the DJ running the trivia, our music wasn't important enough to recognize.