SOLO TRAVELER: EATING IN SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS?

SeaNStars4Me

I'm traveling SOLO on MSC for a 7 night cruise. Thinking of buying the 3-Pass Specialty Dining which includes the Steak House, Seafood Restaurant and Taco Joint. Not sure if I will be allowed to go into these SOLO and how awkward it will be.....has anyone done this and can share your experience. Or of not, if you've eaten in these restaurants have you seen anyone in there eating solo? Also, I see the menu is "limited" to certain choices if you buy the dining package. Anyone have insight on that?. Thanks for any input you can provide before I purchase this! 

Nothing akward at all with eating there as solo. I have done this several times. They treat one well.

Yes, there are some items that are available only for a surcharge but the included choice is rather nice, too.

Search for one of the existing threats about this for details.

Have eaten solo in Hola! on two different ships (sorry, cannot comment on steak restaurant as pescatarian).   Never had any issues, felt awkward or treated any differently    Take your phone, a book or the daily program with you.

• Like 1

I have eaten at Butcher’s Cut solo multiple times with no issues. There are usually a few other solo diners there as well. There is a limited menu at the Steakhouse and Seafood restaurant with the dining packages, but there are plenty of options and the amount of food is more than enough.

This link has a good summary and copies of some of the menus: 

https://mytravelingbuddy.net/msc-seascape-dining-packages/

I would not get a dining package because they do not match how I eat or what I like. I am also not sure they save lots of money.

In the dining package you get 1 soup/salad/starter; 1 entree and 1 dessert. I generally don't eat dessert unless there is a something very special and unique or an outstanding cheese offering.

I often get a started and soup or salad, or sometimes even two starters and a salad. In Butcher's Cut, I don't think the Rib Eye is an option.

12 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

I would not get a dining package because they do not match how I eat or what I like. I am also not sure they save lots of money.

In the dining package you get 1 soup/salad/starter; 1 entree and 1 dessert. I generally don't eat dessert unless there is a something very special and unique or an outstanding cheese offering.

I often get a started and soup or salad, or sometimes even two starters and a salad. In Butcher's Cut, I don't think the Rib Eye is an option.

I often won't eat a full entree, having had gastric sleeve surgery several years ago. When I have gone to Butcher's Cut, I have been allowed to swap out my entree for a second soup/salad/appetizer on two occasions. You might be able to ask about swapping out your dessert for a second soup/salad/appetizer.

You are correct that ribeye is not included on the BC tastings menu.

• Like 1

I was solo in January and had the 3 night dining  package. Ate in Butcher's Cut, Ocean cay and the Hibachi place with no issues. Ate in Hola's also but paid my way in there. Everything was really good.

14 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I often won't eat a full entree, having had gastric sleeve surgery several years ago. When I have gone to Butcher's Cut, I have been allowed to swap out my entree for a second soup/salad/appetizer on two occasions. You might be able to ask about swapping out your dessert for a second soup/salad/appetizer.

You are correct that ribeye is not included on the BC tastings menu.

Wow, how generous of them to allow you to get a $15 appetizer instead of a $40+ entrée. Hopefully you're just using your free Diamond meal and didn't actually pay for a dining package, since it would be very poor value if you did.

8 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Wow, how generous of them to allow you to get a $15 appetizer instead of a $40+ entrée. Hopefully you're just using your free Diamond meal and didn't actually pay for a dining package, since it would be very poor value if you did.

Right, I only do that for my free Diamond dinner. We never pay for the dining package, especially now that it dictates which restaurants you have to eat at. We like to just stick to using up our OBC with a la carte items from Hola! and the sushi place, since those a la carte prices are very reasonable. I am happy that we get the free meal in BC, though, because my husband loves steak and we almost never go anywhere he can get a decent steak in real life, due to my dietary restrictions.

I have often dined solo in Butcher's and since I don't really enjoy desserts, I ask (and get) the tomato soup which is delicious in lieu of that course.  But I often forget to tell them not to bring the FULL sized grilled cheese sandwich that comes with it... WAY too much food 😉 

• Like 1