Cabin door and or wall decorations

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The condo that I live in will fine a resident $750.00 if the color of their deck and or terrace is not a dark brown.

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Our HOA (22 free- standing houses on about 10 acres total - about 8 of which are nature preserve, so each house has a shade over 1/4 acre “limited element”) has specified requirements - but provides a good palette of colors for houses, trim decks, etc. to choose from - and is generally open to variances - I am on the House and Grounds Committee - and cannot recall any requests for approval turned down . No one has asked for a purple house with yellow hexagons - but I suspect they might be disappointed if they tried.

Strict limit of two can be rented out at any time.

Our HOA asks that the homeowner get two neighbors to sign off on house color selection.  The intent is to keep the peace more than to limit house color choices.   I suspect few homeowners actually do this.   

Edited by ldubs

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Our HOA asks that the homeowner get two neighbors to sign off on house color selection.  The intent is to keep the peace more than to limit house color choices.   I suspect few homeowners actually do this.   

The Tahoe Agency Planning Agency (TRPA) has a double page folder with the "allowed" colors. If your house can be seen from the lake or the highway there's a second more restrictive set of colors. Here's our (former) place. Those colors were on the 'list.

Tahoehouse colors.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Everything in our condo complex is supposed to be the same color yet many of the homes are different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

The Tahoe Agency Planning Agency (TRPA) has a double page folder with the "allowed" colors. If your house can be seen from the lake or the highway there's a second more restrictive set of colors. Here's our (former) place. Those colors were on the 'list.

Tahoehouse colors.jpg

Classic cabin in the woods -- looks good.  

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Everything in our condo complex is supposed to be the same color yet many of the homes are different.

Neighbors across the street mentioned our house and landscaping was nice.  Good thing because they will probably have to look at it more than I do.  😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Neighbors across the street mentioned our house and landscaping was nice.  Good thing because they will probably have to look at it more than I do.  😀

I assume you are familiar with the East Bay Express.Many years ago they did a story on the house that a friend of mine lived in as the most unusual house because of the views from the windows as well as the landscaping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Reminds me of an old joke that many cities have a version of: The best views of Boston are from the Pru Tower. Because it’s the one place where you can’t see the Pru Tower. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Classic cabin in the woods -- looks good.  

Thanks.. I'd like to reply more but OT only goes so far 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Thanks.. I'd like to reply more but OT only goes so far 😉

Well, that could easily be called a cabin and it is about cabin door and wall decor.  😀

6 hours ago, wcook said:

Reminds me of an old joke that many cities have a version of: The best views of Boston are from the Pru Tower. Because it’s the one place where you can’t see the Pru Tower. 

Sort of like the reason why one should not stay at Chateau Frontenac when in Quebec - not only will you pay a lot more than at less well known hotels, but you will not get to look at the Chateau from where you stay-  missing one of the big attractions of Quebec.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 6:33 PM, navybankerteacher said:

No one has asked for a purple house with yellow hexagons - but I suspect they might be disappointed if they tried.

I have a good example of why well-meaning rules often don't work. In a community near mine that has certain "neighborhood standards" to retain historic character, a man failed to get approval for a renovation that included a rounded front stoop (a relatively modest change).

His request was rejected and the man apparently went bonkers. I guess he realized somehow that paint colors were not covered in the rules, so he decided to paint his house lime green with purple polka dots as a protest

There were pics in the local rag at the time. The story also got national coverage. Lots of traffic down a small street to see the place. I'm not sure what the resolution was -- lost interest in following the story, I guess.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-may-21-na-dots21-story.html

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have a good example of why well-meaning rules often don't work. In a community near mine that has certain "neighborhood standards" to retain historic character, a man failed to get approval for a renovation that included a rounded front stoop (a relatively modest change).

His request was rejected and the man apparently went bonkers. I guess he realized somehow that paint colors were not covered in the rules, so he decided to paint his house lime green with purple polka dots as a protest

There were pics in the local rag at the time. The story also got national coverage. Lots of traffic down a small street to see the place. I'm not sure what the resolution was -- lost interest in following the story, I guess.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-may-21-na-dots21-story.html

Of course there are exceptions - but gensrally a community (of any sort) functions  better if there are reasonable rules, reasonably applied, than if you have an anything goes approach.   When it comes to HOA’s, it is important to know what the rules are before buying, and to get involved in the running of things once in— fending off wannabe dictatators is as important as applying reasonable standards.  In my area a number of HOA’s have devolved into mini-slums because there were no limits on rentals - once you have absentee owners managing cash cows rather than residents maintaining homes you often wind up with minimal community maintenance.

On 4/1/2024 at 3:13 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Of course there are exceptions - but gensrally a community (of any sort) functions  better if there are reasonable rules, reasonably applied, than if you have an anything goes approach.   When it comes to HOA’s, it is important to know what the rules are before buying, and to get involved in the running of things once in— fending off wannabe dictatators is as important as applying reasonable standards.  In my area a number of HOA’s have devolved into mini-slums because there were no limits on rentals - once you have absentee owners managing cash cows rather than residents maintaining homes you often wind up with minimal community maintenance.

I have a friend who lives in South Carolina (if that matters) and their HOA requires lawn in front and only two specific grasses.

2 hours ago, clo said:

I have a friend who lives in South Carolina (if that matters) and their HOA requires lawn in front and only two specific grasses.

Before committing to a HOA it is important to know (and be comfortable with) its bylaws - and to have a sense of the people who already live there.  I would be reluctant to move to a large one - generally the larger they are the more regulation there is.  Ours is just 22 houses, in a larger town right next to the small (rather costly)  town which had no HOA’s until very recently.  All but one of our 21 neighbors here are “downsizers” from that smaller town - and many already knew each other (I knew seven of my current neighbors years ago).

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Before committing to a HOA it is important to know (and be comfortable with) its bylaws - and to have a sense of the people who already live there.  I would be reluctant to move to a large one - generally the larger they are the more regulation there is.  Ours is just 22 houses, in a larger town right next to the small (rather costly)  town which had no HOA’s until very recently.  All but one of our 21 neighbors here are “downsizers” from that smaller town - and many already knew each other (I knew seven of my current neighbors years ago).

I can only speak for my general area, but I would bet money 95% of those buying a home in an HOA don't even look at the CCRs.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I can only speak for my general area, but I would bet money 95% of those buying a home in an HOA don't even look at the CCRs.   

Do they also buy cars without knowing if they were gasoline powered or electric - or boxer shorts without checking the waist size?  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I once asked a mortgage broker what they do if a buyer actually wants to read all those pages. They said they put them in a room and tell them to let them know when they're done.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Do they also buy cars without knowing if they were gasoline powered or electric - or boxer shorts without checking the waist size?  

Not that I know of.   

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, clo said:

I once asked a mortgage broker what they do if a buyer actually wants to read all those pages. They said they put them in a room and tell them to let them know when they're done.

Anyone who buys a home (generally the largest expenditure/commitment he will ever make) without bothering to to know what he is buying - or at least having a trusted attorney to find out and inform him - deserves whatever unpleasant surprise awaits him.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Anyone who buys a home (generally the largest expenditure/commitment he will ever make) without bothering to to know what he is buying - or at least having a trusted attorney to find out and inform him - deserves whatever unpleasant surprise awaits him.

I think another home buying difference between our respective regions is buying a home in my neck of the woods does not involve an attorney.  

As an aside, in my state HOA rules relating to single family occupancy and/or additional living structures on single family lots are no longer enforceable.   

We have kind of drifted here, but I guess there is some relationship between HOA CCRs and rules folks might want about cabin door decorations.  Or not.  😄

Edited by ldubs

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think another home buying difference between our respective regions is buying a home in my neck of the woods does not involve an attorney.  

As an aside, in my state HOA rules relating to single family occupancy and/or additional living structures on single family lots are no longer enforceable.   

We have kind of drifted here, but I guess there is some relationship between HOA CCRs and rules folks might want about cabin door decorations.  Or not.  😄

In CT no attorney is required for personal real estate transactions - but it is advisable —- it certainly reduces the likelihood of needing much more expensive legal assistance further down the road.

It’s tempting to favorably consider not having rules - until……….

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

In CT no attorney is required for personal real estate transactions - but it is advisable —- it certainly reduces the likelihood of needing much more expensive legal assistance further down the road.

It’s tempting to favorably consider not having rules - until……….

Don't get me wrong, I support reasonable rules that are reasonably enforced.   However, I have to admit I'm probably the last person anyone would want on my HOA BOD.  The power would probably go to my head!  haha.  

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Don't get me wrong, I support reasonable rules that are reasonably enforced.   However, I have to admit I'm probably the last person anyone would want on my HOA BOD.  The power would probably go to my head!  haha.  

We rotate on and off our Board -per our by-laws.   I was Treasurer for three years until a year ago - now I’m on a non-Board committee reviewing owners’ House and Grounds requests and making recommendations to the Board regarding them.  Best way to have reasonable enforcement is to have fresh talent doing it.  The implied threat of increased common charges if we were to hire a management company maintains the supply of volunteers to handle the nuts and bolts.

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

We rotate on and off our Board -per our by-laws.   I was Treasurer for three years until a year ago - now I’m on a non-Board committee reviewing owners’ House and Grounds requests and making recommendations to the Board regarding them.  Best way to have reasonable enforcement is to have fresh talent doing it.  The implied threat of increased common charges if we were to hire a management company maintains the supply of volunteers to handle the nuts and bolts.

Sounds good.  Our BOD is elected by the membership.  We do have a management company.  Communication to/from membership is via the management company.