Cabin door and or wall decorations

Been thinking about this for about a month - Are there any websites that specialize in cabin door or wall decorations? Is it just Amazon, since they literally have everything? I was thinking about baseball decorations, since my boys and I are all Braves fans, but I just looked and our cruise starts on the last day of games before the All-Star break, so it doesn't seem like it would be very "fitting". I'm actually kinda bummed that we won't get to watch more than 1 game during our cruise, but I digress... I'm thinking the answer is likely Amazon, but I wasn't sure if there was a niche website for decorations. Thanks, y'all!

44 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I understand that some cruise lines may object to this practice citing fire / safety issues. It could be worth some research?

Perhaps, I do know that it’s common on Royal Caribbean 

I hadn't thought about it being a fire hazard. Then again, it wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't accepted and even encouraged. Tons of cruising tips and info videos mention decorating your cabin door. And, God forbid the cabin has a fire in it, I seriously doubt it'll be from the decorations.

I found some stuff on Amazon, I'll point the wife to Etsy. She'll probably just say "Why can't we just make our own?" and my response will be "Because the cruise is this summer, and if we wait for you to do it, it won't get done." and then I'll run and hide until July.

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, CHPURSER said:

On one of the ships I managed, some guests put up some cheap (Dollar Store) decorations all over the walls of their cabin. The color from the decorations bled into the wall covering and permanently stained all the walls with big red and green splotches. We had to take the cabin out of service for 2 weeks to repair it. The ship was fully booked, so the future guests who were scheduled for that cabin were cancelled. They were not happy.

The guests who inadvertantly ruined the wall covering were charged $20,000 for repairs and lost revenues.They were REALLY not happy.

Yikes! That doesn’t sound like magnets on doors, though. I would never tape decorations on cabin walls or really add any kind of hangings. I use magnets on cabin walls for organization but that’s it. I wonder if those guests were also banned from future cruises? 

On 3/22/2024 at 8:55 AM, CanobieFan said:

It's definitely a thing on Carnival too

And is huge on Disney. Here’s their official rule:

Q:

Can I decorate my stateroom door or hang items over the doors?

A:

To ensure an enjoyable cruise experience for all our Guests, we ask that you take note of the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

You are welcome to place magnetic signs on your stateroom door. Though, please note that Concierge staterooms on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy have wooden doors. You may not affix items to your stateroom doors using tape or any adhesive, including removable gel adhesives, as this can damage the doors’ finish.

• Thanks 1

We love our door decorations.  Our artist daughter painted two kissing goldfish for us (just cheap paint she already had + a piece of poster board).  I cut up some freebie sheet magnets and put them on the bottom side, then laminated the two fish.  We keep them in a manila envelope, and they're easy to slap on the door.  

Some people go "all out" and cover their whole door + garlands around the edges.  Other people just have a plain little magnet or something to identify their door.  Most fall somewhere in between ... our fish are pretty average.  

Magnets really are best.  No way they're going to harm the metal doors.

As for cheap Dollar Store stuff, yeah, they can be bad.  When our oldest finished high school I bought some graduation "clings" for our glass front door.  Maybe from Target's dollar section?  They looked and felt a bit like Jello.  I kept the page they came on, thinking I'd peel them off our door and save them for future graduations ... nope.  They came off in bitty pieces and left a color tinge on my glass door, which wasn't easy to wash off.  Avoid, avoid, avoid!  

I do not believe door decorations are a fire hazard.  

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately it is not what you or I believe that counts .... it is what the company safety officers perceive the risk to be. 🙂 Having been there and worn the tee-shirt I will concur with their decision to ban them.🫡

Edited by MBP&O2/O
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Unfortunately it is not what you or I believe that counts .... it is what the company safety officers perceive the risk to be. 🙂 Having been there and worn the tee-shirt I will concur with their decision to ban them.🫡

Most cruise lines offer packages to celebrate birthdays, anniversaires and weddings. These include cabin decorations, such as streamers, banners and a door magnetic. 🤷🏼‍♀️

IMG_3150.jpeg

19 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

it is what the company safety officers

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with safety (even if they use that as an excuse.) probably more about not wanting to police content or just thinking it looks tacky. But as always, their ship, their rules. 

PS: My favorite door sign

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXMF1_8a_2IhDo-iViHSXH9ume7JbCNcjVj_V_cy5uXA&s

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Don’t put anything on your cabin door that you don’t mind having stolen. That seems to be a thing now also. 😎

I hate thieves.  Stealing something like someone's cabin door decoration is really low life.  Who would do that I wonder.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ldubs said:

I hate thieves.  Stealing something like someone's cabin door decoration is really low life.  Who would do that I wonder.  

You can never tell, but depending on the cruise line and time of year there have been very recent reported incidences that could involve just about anyone: a passerby may like your magnets or fancy your dry erase board, they may want to the take your things just for spite,  or as a ‘joke’ destroy it all. It does happen, and recent threads of cruise lines banning door decorations and people stealing your things have surfaced.

Yes, it’s your vacation, but also the vacation of everyone in your passageway that has to look at that display on your cabin door. I know it may be ‘cute’ to you, but others also look at it as an unsightly blight, low-class, tacky, and an all-together visual irritant that needs to disappear. 

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Yes, it’s your vacation, but also the vacation of everyone in your passageway that has to look at that display on your cabin door. I know it may be ‘cute’ to you, but others also look at it as an unsightly blight, low-class, tacky, and an all-together visual irritant that needs to disappear. 

😁

Hmmmm, that seems unnecessarily harsh! I mean, we don’t leave in a beige world where the main objective is to never have anyone else offended/confronted by our own personal preferences. If door magnets are not your thing, that is fine. But no need to be so judgmental about those who do put up a magnet, even if it’s only to find their cabin! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

Hmmmm, that seems unnecessarily harsh! I mean, we don’t leave in a beige world where the main objective is to never have anyone else offended/confronted by our own personal preferences. If door magnets are not your thing, that is fine. But no need to be so judgmental about those who do put up a magnet, even if it’s only to find their cabin! 

Not pulling any punches by telling someone that it’s all rainbows and kittens. Even on a cruise ship, in the real world, people can resort to their primal instincts (especially when they’ve had a few drinks). 

If someone has that much trouble finding their cabin that they need to cover it with graffiti - and some of the pictures I’ve seen look like a hot mess - maybe look into something more subtle like a strip of international orange painters tape on the door number plate. It’s easily removable and won’t stick. But a cute little fridge magnet or personalized door hanger is equally subject to every onlooker strolling by desiring it for themselves.

😁

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

But a cute little fridge magnet or personalized door hanger is equally subject to every onlooker strolling by desiring it for themselves.

Well, OK.  This sort of addresses the unfortunate fact that some people just steal stuff.

I believe the original objection was more related to the implied inclusion of a small door magnet in the class of 'but others also look at it as an unsightly blight, low-class, tacky, and an all-together visual irritant that needs to disappear.'

Although, to be fair, others (not you) may very well consider a small door magnet as being that way.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Don’t put anything on your cabin door that you don’t mind having stolen. That seems to be a thing now also. 😎

Sadly, yes.  I was recently on a themed cruise that was HUGE into decorated cabin doors (they even had a contest awarding $$$ to the winners).  I heard multiple reports on their FB page that the decorations of others had been damaged, vandalized, stolen, or destroyed. 🤬

Just now, d9704011 said:

Well, OK.  This sort of addresses the unfortunate fact that some people just steal stuff.

I believe the original objection was more related to the implied inclusion of a small door magnet in the class of 'but others also look at it as an unsightly blight, low-class, tacky, and an all-together visual irritant that needs to disappear.'

Like I said. Not pulling any punches. A small door magnet is not ‘all of that’, the description I offered was for covering cabin doors in steamers and assorted Etsy or dollar store decorations. You’re just renting the space for a week, not decorating a home. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Sadly, yes.  I was recently on a themed cruise that was HUGE into decorated cabin doors (they even had a contest awarding $$$ to the winners).  I heard multiple reports on their FB page that the decorations of others had been damaged, vandalized, stolen, or destroyed. 🤬

That’s a true shame. But it just goes to show, that even ‘sanctioned’ activities can fall victim to the malicious mischief  of others. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Like I said. Not pulling any punches. A small door magnet is not ‘all of that’, the description I offered was for covering cabin doors in steamers and assorted Etsy or dollar store decorations. You’re just renting the space for a week, not decorating a home. 

Yes, I understood that's what you originally had in mind.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

5 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

That’s a true shame. But it just goes to show, that even ‘sanctioned’ activities can fall victim to the malicious mischief  of others. 

This also may be why some cruise lines have turned to banning door decorations - to prevent this sort of outcome and restore some since of discipline to the people that just can’t help themselves. 

• Like 1