Can I bring this In? If not, suggestions to get some?

I really like my Turkish Pistachio nuts and get them from a company online, Nuts on the net. However I hate customs issues more than anything. I planned on bringing a 5lb bag ( 40 day cruise) of roasted, salted in the shell nuts, sealed from the dealer. I've read different views and trying to make up my mind. If I decide to not pack them, I would declare them, any good recommendations on where I might buy some in the Sydney CBD.

Mahalo

Posted (edited)

I think you can bring these in if you declare them.  They are on the government website as a permitted import. They have to be roasted not raw, and in the original packaging. Just tick yes on the relevant section of the incoming passenger form.  You might get delayed a little while they look at them.

www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/import/goods/plant-products/importing-plant-products-for-human-consumption#nuts

You can also buy them in Australia.  Maybe someone from Sydney can suggest a shop.

Edited by cruiser3775

Should be no problems as above.

I buy them at the supermarket - usually Woolies. I don't know how they compare with what you can get in Hawaii, both on price & taste.

I thought you would be bringing over tins of dry roasted macadamias from Hawaii. We certainly brought a few home last time we were there.

1. Commercial food items are generally ok.

2. Leave everything in originally sealed packaging. 

3. DECLARE anything you can consume. Apart from the forms you will be given, Quarantine agents will ask if you have anything to declare, and then you tell them what you have. They will be very nice and polite about it. You can basically tell them you have half a dead cow in your bag, and they will very politely say "sorry, not allowed ". But since you have declared it and ticked the Yes box, there will be no fine. But try to sneak in a banana, and they could get agro and fine you. (And fines have at long last significantly increased).

4. If you would get upset about having to give up your food items at Quarantine, don't bring it. (Unlikely, judging by what you describe).

5. We DO sell nuts in Australia.

(and bubble gum and nylon stockings)

😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

Should be no problems as above.

I buy them at the supermarket - usually Woolies. I don't know how they compare with what you can get in Hawaii, both on price & taste.

I thought you would be bringing over tins of dry roasted macadamias from Hawaii. We certainly brought a few home last time we were there.

I eat a lot of nuts, mainly Macadamias, pistacchios and cashews, usually from Coles. The macadamias seem to taste better, to me, than those from Aldi or Woolworths.

Mahalo for all the replies. 

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

Eat a lot of those at home also. 

3 hours ago, buchhalm said:

5. We DO sell nuts in Australia.

Looking specifically for Turkish pistachios which are smaller and tastier.

6 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I eat a lot of nuts, mainly Macadamias, pistacchios and cashews, usually from Coles. The macadamias seem to taste better, to me, than those from Aldi or Woolworths.

I'll have to check Coles if I decide not to bring them.

8 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Mahalo for all the replies. 

Eat a lot of those at home also. 

Looking specifically for Turkish pistachios which are smaller and tastier.

I'll have to check Coles if I decide not to bring them.

I didn't notice Turkish pistacchios when I've been in Turkey. I did like their walnuts and dried apricots which we bought from roadside vendors. A walnut wrapped in an apricot was a great travelling snack.

In addition to the advice above, we always take a photo of all food stuff we're planning to pack in a group so each item can be clearly seen.

When they asked us re food declared we showed them the photo and indicated the bag it was in.

Always got excellent feed back from them.

image.thumb.jpeg.a34f6ab60a414a55b500018a5bf2a77d.jpeg

These we took to Norfolk, as we grocery were difficult there, at the time.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

In addition to the advice above, we always take a photo of all food stuff we're planning to pack in a group so each item can be clearly seen.

When they asked us re food declared we showed them the photo and indicated the bag it was in.

You're always sooooo organised, John!🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Earlier I decided to take the nuts along with a low sugar snack my wife likes and took pictures of them and made sure they were in a convenient place in one case for inspection. Good to hear it might be well received.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 10:45 AM, Ozwoody said:

Mahalo for the tip. Handed the picture I had to the customs agent and she said "Oh I thought you very declaring this picture". Bags scanned, nothing opened very easy. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Mahalo for the tip. Handed the picture I had to the customs agent and she said "Oh I thought you very declaring this picture". Bags scanned, nothing opened very easy. 

maʻalahi wale, enjoy your snacks.😁 and you trip.

Regards

John

On 3/23/2024 at 10:45 AM, Ozwoody said:

Baked Beans - a concealed weapon? 😉

For Norfolk Island as an Aussie, is this more of a quarantine thing vs a customs requirement?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Baked Beans - a concealed weapon? 😉

For Norfolk Island as an Aussie, is this more of a quarantine thing vs a customs requirement?

Yes & No & Both😁

The photo was an example of what I do.

Going both ways regards Norfolk island is an internal thing no passport require for Australians.

But going and coming back there is a customs quarantine requirement.

However if your an international traveller its still not a customs thing, the customs part of the check is to see if your bring prohibited things and/or excess in duty free allowances, during your customs check they also check for quarantine items if any found they have quarantine personnel on hand to check out suspect items.

So either way its a quarantine thing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Yes & No & Both😁

The photo was an example of what I do.

Going both ways regards Norfolk island is an internal thing no passport require for Australians.

But going and coming back there is a customs quarantine requirement.

However if your an international traveller its still not a customs thing, the customs part of the check is to see if your bring prohibited things and/or excess in duty free allowances, during your customs check they also check for quarantine items if any found they have quarantine personnel on hand to check out suspect items.

So either way its a quarantine thing.

True,

I was getting muddled-up a bit about the medications topic, which is a custom restriction and not a quarantine thing. 

Norfolk Island not needing a passport seemed a bit weird with the restrictions, but it makes sense. Once upon a time we were not allowed to carry fruit across state borders, and it was most fun watching inspectors walking the train and getting off looking like Santa Claus.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

Once upon a time we were not allowed to carry fruit across state borders, and it was most fun watching inspectors walking the train and getting off looking like Santa Claus.

Not "once upon a time". It's never changed. Haven't you seen the AQIS bins at airports? And the sniffer dogs. And border stations ? All normal everyday situation for Aus border crossings. 
https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/policy/biosecurity-matters/domestic-travel

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Not "once upon a time". It's never changed. Haven't you seen the AQIS bins at airports? And the sniffer dogs. And border stations ? All normal everyday situation for Aus border crossings. 
https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/policy/biosecurity-matters/domestic-travel

All true, except by car, at least on the east coast, and SA.

No border check points now, there was when I was a young fella, but a half century later, and everything is changed.

Not sure about WA; Tas; and NT, but can't imagine they would have road border check points these days.

ps: yes I know there is a little water between Tas and Vic, but you can still drive via the ferry😁

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

All true, except by car, at least on the east coast, and SA.

No border check points now, there was when I was a young fella, but a half century later, and everything is changed.

Not sure about WA; Tas; and NT, but can't imagine they would have road border check points these days.

Yep, used to be one on the border of NSW/Victoria - Albury and Wodonga. Stop it! I'm not THAT old!!!!! Well, comparatively.............. then again .............😒😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Yep, used to be one on the border of NSW/Victoria - Albury and Wodonga. Stop it! I'm not THAT old!!!!! Well, comparatively.............. then again .............😒😂

There was a funny story told to me by a border guard on that border stop, it seemed a big American car was stopped a few months earlier with three guys in it, who were acting quite suspicious, not very co-operative at all.

Very reluctant to allow the boot to be opened, a guard insisted on having the boot opened, the drive finally released the boot lid, and the office lifted the lid, as he lifted it up there was a forth guy in it, who popped up and yelled "I'm a fruit fly", the guard got such a fright he jumped back slamming the lid down as he did.

The guy in the boot had to be taken to the local hospital for concussion.

Moral of the story, Don't Mess with the border guards.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

I know they are supposed to exist, but I haven't seen a sniffer dog in an Australian domestic airport in over a decade, and there is very little info around disposal bins or interstate restrictions when flying between eastern states. Not much of a deterrent hey, but things look to be more efficient in Perth. After looking at the link, it would appear that fruit isn't a restricted item in domestic quantities between any of the eastern states, and that could have much to do with our lower levels of AQIS interaction. I don't travel with fruit anyway, a habit formed when those protocols were more active over here.

Thanks for the link. Apparently I leave near the edge of a bio-zone saying that I can't move citrus plants out of my area due to Citrus Red Mite. Until now, I had heard nothing about it, even though it was tabled nearly 7 years ago.

Edited by arxcards

I certainly remember the car stopping and inspections coming into Victoria when I was young.  Obviously they have given up now. I was surprised to find out that fruit fly is in Melbourne.  I spent last week destroying a very abundant crop of mandarins because each ripe mandarin I peeled had several worms crawling through it.  Hours of work harvesting fruit and microwaving kilo after kilo of mandarins to kill the little buggers. Now I know that I need to be vigilant next year and use fly traps and netting etc.😢

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

I certainly remember the car stopping and inspections coming into Victoria when I was young.  Obviously they have given up now. I was surprised to find out that fruit fly is in Melbourne.  I spent last week destroying a very abundant crop of mandarins because each ripe mandarin I peeled had several worms crawling through it.  Hours of work harvesting fruit and microwaving kilo after kilo of mandarins to kill the little buggers. Now I know that I need to be vigilant next year and use fly traps and netting etc.😢

Being sub tropical, qld seems to attract all sorts of pests, fruit flies, cane toads, root knot nematodes, flying foxes; bipoded denisons from south of the qld border.

I must admit at lease the last ones don't attack my garden, so their sort of accepted up here.😏

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Haha 1

The sniffer dogs do exist, have seen them regularly in the airports both domestic and international and rest assured they are working over the bags before they get onto the carousel as well. It may not be every bag off every plane load but they are screening plenty.