NEXUS Status Upon Passport Renewal

lx200gps

I just came from a wonderful sit-down at a Service Canada office where I submitted my passport renewal paperwork. No waiting, in and out in 10 minutes. All's well, I should have it by the end of April. The new passport will have a different number than my old one.  How will this affect my NEXUS card, which presumably is linked to my old passport?  Since my current NEXUS card (expiring next year) has an "old" passport number linked to it, what would I have to do to ensure my two documents are properly linked? 

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

I just came from a wonderful sit-down at a Service Canada office where I submitted my passport renewal paperwork. No waiting, in and out in 10 minutes. All's well, I should have it by the end of April. The new passport will have a different number than my old one.  How will this affect my NEXUS card, which presumably is linked to my old passport?  Since my current NEXUS card (expiring next year) has an "old" passport number linked to it, what would I have to do to ensure my two documents are properly linked? 

You go online in the same way you renew your NEXUS card and change the passport number in your file. 

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

You go online in the same way you renew your NEXUS card and change the passport number in your file. 

Perfect, thanks. I'll get on it as soon as the new passport arrives.

12 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I just came from a wonderful sit-down at a Service Canada office where I submitted my passport renewal paperwork. No waiting, in and out in 10 minutes. 

Is this a new service?  Did you book an appointment?  How does this work?

We will be renewing mid next year and have not done so for almost 10 years so the process is a distant memory for us now.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Is this a new service?  Did you book an appointment?  How does this work?

We will be renewing mid next year and have not done so for almost 10 years so the process is a distant memory for us now.

I don't know if it's new or not, but it was a very easy and painless process easy. I went to:

https://eservices.canada.ca/en/reservation/

made all the selections for a passport renewal and selected my desired time, date and location from the offerings that came up. Knowing how slammed the passport system is these days, I made a point of selecting the most out of the way Service Canada office I could find near me, correctly assuming that it would not be as busy as a main Passport office. It sure wasn't, the office was almost empty. Note that you don't have to go to a busy Passport office, I went to a basic Service Canada outlet and they handled everything. Once I checked in at the front desk and sat down in the waiting area, it was no more 5 minutes until the lady called me in to her office, went through my application paperwork and photos, and took my $168 fee. I was in and out of the office in about 20 minutes total elapsed time. She handed me back my now cancelled old passport and confirmed I should have the new one NLT the end of April. Sad side note, we got to chatting about NEXUS and she told me that, as a new applicant, her application has been in the system for a YEAR and she was told it could be another year before she gets her NEXUS card.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

I don't know if it's new or not, but it was a very easy and painless process easy. I went to:

https://eservices.canada.ca/en/reservation/

made all the selections for a passport renewal and selected my desired time, date and location from the offerings that came up. Knowing how slammed the passport system is these days, I made a point of selecting the most out of the way Service Canada office I could find near me, correctly assuming that it would not be as busy as a main Passport office. It sure wasn't, the office was almost empty. Note that you don't have to go to a busy Passport office, I went to a basic Service Canada outlet and they handled everything. Once I checked in at the front desk and sat down in the waiting area, it was no more 5 minutes until the lady called me in to her office, went through my application paperwork and photos, and took my $168 fee. I was in and out of the office in about 20 minutes total elapsed time. She handed me back my now cancelled old passport and confirmed I should have the new one NLT the end of April. Sad side note, we got to chatting about NEXUS and she told me that, as a new applicant, her application has been in the system for a YEAR and she was told it could be another year before she gets her NEXUS card.

In Toronto at least the passport office has been rolled into the service Canada office in the same building.

9 minutes ago, broberts said:

In Toronto at least the passport office has been rolled into the service Canada office in the same building.

Same around here as well. They moved the Passport Office a few months ago from inside a Cadillac Fairview mall to a dedicated Service Canada building nearby. Since I well remembered the massive lineups when the Passport Office was in the mall, I decided to absolutely not go to the office they moved to, hence my suggestion to find as obscure a Service Canada office as possible. The one I went to was virtually a ghost town when I arrived for a 2PM appointment on a Friday afternoon.

I did a walk-in at the Service Canada office last Friday.  Boy, was that a mistake!  Stood in line for 1.5 hours just to get to the registration desk!  It turns out that it was March break and everyone who was not out of town was taking care of Service Canada related stuff.  I no longer pay attention to when March break is so mea culpa.  

Since I had a lot of time to listen to the goings-on around me, I learned that the office only took regular passport applications.  Those who were coming in requesting expedited service were referred to the passport office in Hamilton for the fastest service.  (This was in Oakville.)  The registration desk person (who was excellent, I might add; definitely knew his stuff) was telling people they don’t do expedited passports at Service Canada offices.  Whether this is across the board or specific to certain locations, I don’t know.