What Does Cunard do Differently on a World Cruise

tgetz

What are some of the things that Cunard does "special" on a world cruise that is extra from a regular cruise.?

We have sailed on a Holland World Cruise and they had several special dinners,  some in the alternate dinning venues, some not. They had various gifts throughout the cruise. There was a bridge instructor, a crafts class, etc. 

Does Cunard have various wine dinners or maybe dinners with regional chefs or??????

Any input would be wonderful.

We will be in a queens grill cabin but assume we might still do an occasional alternate restaurant.

Thanks in advance.

Cunard does 'exactly the same as HAL' to make their 'full world cruise guests' to feel valued, in fact even better !

There are various cocktail receptions ( full world cruise guests only) several times throughout the itinerary with Caviar & Fizz on tap! 

Dedicated lounge area, dedicated concierge desk , commemorative gifts throughout the cruise.

A special evening & dinner at a high end hotel shoreside  

Bridge instructors , craft classes etc are standard on Cunard .

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, floatymcboatface said:

As I understand it, typical Cunard cruises do not go completely around the world, this one however does.

To have two ships going right the way round could be seen as a little excessive. One per year, world events permitting, seems adequate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Indeed, @roscoe39 was the intended tagee, I would have linked his and @safarigal's blogs directly, but I thought they would be better placed to.

You beat me to it on both counts.

I'm an avid reader of both their blogs, and yours too. 🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, floatymcboatface said:

As I understand it, typical Cunard cruises do not go completely around the world, this one however does.

One Cunard ship performs every year a full world circumnavigation, while another goes a 'four continents' world cruise (Europe, Asia, Oceania and Africa).

So far the full circumnavigation has been done for many years by Queen Victoria, but next year this role goes to the brand new Queen Anne. Similarly, the 'four continents' cruise has been done by Queen Mary 2.

However, there will be a 'reverse' in 2026. QM2 will tackle the full circumavigation - a historic point for her, as for the first time ever she will transit the Panama Canal. Anne will undertake the 'four continents' cruise - a first for her, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2024 at 6:23 AM, tgetz said:

What are some of the things that Cunard does "special" on a world cruise that is extra from a regular cruise.?

We have sailed on a Holland World Cruise and they had several special dinners,  some in the alternate dinning venues, some not. They had various gifts throughout the cruise. There was a bridge instructor, a crafts class, etc. 

Does Cunard have various wine dinners or maybe dinners with regional chefs or??????

Any input would be wonderful.

We will be in a queens grill cabin but assume we might still do an occasional alternate restaurant.

Thanks in advance.

hi Tgetz,

Im currently on the World Voyage, Singapore today, and I have as it happened been blogging about it, warts and all,  if you want to take a look

http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.com

. If you scroll right back you will find the complete 2016 world voyage 

http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.com/2014/12/is-earth-really-round.html

I personally am a fan of Cunard's World Voyages, although this year there have been lots of changes noticelably the dumbing down of the formality which isn't sitting well with most doing the full world but it is still a great experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/23/2024 at 7:56 PM, tgetz said:

Thank you .I couldn't see to find any world cruise blogs to read. 

My blog from the Queen Victoria 2017 world cruise is at www.whereissafarigal.com. The trip is "Across the World in 80 Days".World cruises are the best. We are currently on a 50 day cruise which is fine, but give me over 90 days any day!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, over the last ten to twelve years,  there is not as enticing additional features on the World Cruises as Cunard once included.

Even at Grills level the 'experiences' have been somewhat bypassed. I would hazard a guess that @Bell Boy would support me on this as we experienced how it used to be.

Including the Governor's House Reception on our call to Hawaii...

HawaiiGovernorsHouseReceptionwithPaulC.jpg.7f2474080255ccd8ec1b2f70644f2d20.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. The pictures and blogs were very helpful.

Since Covid all the cruise lines have had to cut back. Holland no longer leaves a chocolate each night on your pillow and there is no Yum Yum man handing out ginger after dinner. 

Even Regent seems to be cutting back on their world cruise and not offering free medical service but free consultation next year.

And I can appreciate that they must make money or they won't be able stay 'afloat' and we won't be able to go on cruises. 🙂

But since i have not done a world cruise on Cunard, only a regular cruise, are there  things they still do? I noticed on the  Queen Victoria they were offering something in Hong Kong I think it was.

Everyone mentions they are not as formal as before. I don't think any of the ships are. But what does that mean. We will be in the Queens Grill. Will most men wear a tux on the Gala nights they do have? Do the ladies all wear long gowns?

thanks for any input

12 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

hi Tgetz,

Im currently on the World Voyage, Singapore today, and I have as it happened been blogging about it, warts and all,  if you want to take a look

http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.com

. If you scroll right back you will find the complete 2016 world voyage 

http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.com/2014/12/is-earth-really-round.html

I personally am a fan of Cunard's World Voyages, although this year there have been lots of changes noticelably the dumbing down of the formality which isn't sitting well with most doing the full world but it is still a great experience.

Your observations about plastics in the oceans of East Asia hits the mark. So many blame cruise ships for the plastic problems at sea (and that industry can certainly improve) but seeing the pictures showing everything in the store wrapped in plastic tells more of the story. 

Also, please elaborate on what you sense as the dumbing down of formality - is it passengers not caring or Cunard not enforcing a dress code?
Keep on writing! You are appreciated!!

57 minutes ago, tgetz said:

thanks Ne John for asking that question. Is it passengers  not caring, or Cunard not enforcing.

Yes, a lot has changed in the world of formality since my first Cunard voyage in 2008. 
Even going to Palm Sunday services yesterday, I see that there is no such thing as putting on one’s “Sunday Best” anymore. Parents allowing their kids in church with short shorts and hoodies and the adults don’t look much better. Maybe I’m getting old and cranky…

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, NE John said:

Yes, a lot has changed in the world of formality since my first Cunard voyage in 2008. 
Even going to Palm Sunday services yesterday, I see that there is no such thing as putting on one’s “Sunday Best” anymore. Parents allowing their kids in church with short shorts and hoodies and the adults don’t look much better. Maybe I’m getting old and cranky…

The world is changing but at least they're there!  🙂

However much 'we' might dislike it, informality is gradually taking over. I do get slightly rattled though when local coffee shop large cups appear. The service isn't usually that bad that caffeine is required in order to stay awake! 😄

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

The service isn't usually that bad that caffeine is required in order to stay awake!

When aged about eleven I would sit on the balcony with a chocolate bar unwrapped and broken in pieces so I wouldn't make any noise. I'd start a countdown when the sermon went over twenty minutes.

Edited by D&N

17 minutes ago, D&N said:

When aged about eleven I would sit on the balcony with a chocolate bar unwrapped and broken in pieces so I wouldn't make any noise. I'd start a countdown when the sermon went over twenty minutes.

The 'educational' spot at our youth club gave us a superficial language lesson...in BSL Finger Spelling.

Came in handy during dreary sermons!  😄

Has seriously come in handy, in life too as I have managed to converse with deaf fellow passengers. I taught it in school too.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, D&N said:

We went to an Anglican sung mass in Bath last summer and the vicar went on waaaayyy too long for his sermon. I wish I chocolate or expresso or something. I very much enjoyed the rest of the service however. 
I plan to go to a Maritime service next time I’m onboard. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Came in handy during dreary sermons!

They weren't usually dreary. It was a big church without a P.A. system. While not quite fire and brimstone, my Dad's delivery from the pulpit was very forceful. There were times it was reported that an old lady in the congregation was upset because she thought he was shouting at her. 🙂

I was getting near the stage of deciding to just stay at home on Sunday mornings so it was all a bit long for me.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 11:56 PM, tgetz said:

. . . or Cunard not enforcing.

I think it’s Cunard not even trying to enforce the dress code.  The other evening on QM2, when it was Red & Gold gala night, one younger gentleman went to the theater in a t-shirt and gym pants, while many many older gentlemen had shorts and Hawaiian style vacation shirts on.  Apparently not a problem for Cunard at all, they just walked in and took some nice seats.  And this was at 8:00pm in the Royal Court Theatre on a gala evening!

Posted (edited)

It seems that some pax go on Cunard to either rebel against the dress code or have the attitude “It’s my vacation/holiday, I’ll dress as I want”. 
Cunard has to better enforce the code or become like the others, a khaki/tan country club casual floating resort…or worse. 

I strongly believe that how one dresses affects the way each feels and acts and when one get dressed up on a ship, the whole place has a different and nicer atmosphere. If you show up after six wearing shorts and an AC/DC, Hawaiian, or muscle shirt, you going to feel much different than when properly suites up and that affects the onboard experience. 
Maybe that’s why there’s not as many headlines from Cunard about fights, etc. (ok, that and the age of many of us affects that part too!) 

Rant over. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2