Closed Loop from Seattle to Alaska- Enhanced DL

Hello! 
My MIL is a first time cruiser and her passport is expired. In NCL info they say that you can use an Enhanced Driver’s License from Michigan as proof of citizenship my question is can an EDL be used as Proof of Citizenship and Proof of ID? NCL states proof of citizenship and proof of identification. CBP.gov for WHTI states

What is an enhanced driver’s license?

State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs)provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. 

The verbage on NCL is just confusing. Someone please provide help with their experience or knowledge of NCL. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Pepohwin said:

My MIL is a first time cruiser and her passport is expired. In NCL info they say that you can use an Enhanced Driver’s License from Michigan as proof of citizenship my question is can an EDL be used as Proof of Citizenship and Proof of ID? NCL states proof of citizenship and proof of identification

Are you sure she has an EDL and not a Real ID license? I know since she lives in Michigan she could have a Real ID license but a lot of people confuse the two. Since it is a closed loop cruise she could use her birth certificate and DL. Also she probably has time to get her passport renewed. @Ferry_Watcher

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Renew her passport.

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Are you sure she has an EDL and not a Real ID license? I know since she lives in Michigan she could have a Real ID license but a lot of people confuse the two. Also she probably has time to get her passport renewed. @Ferry_Watcher

We are leaving in 31 days. And passport renewals have been luck of the draw even if expedited. Yes it’s 100% an Enhanced Drivers License. 

Edited by Pepohwin

2 minutes ago, Pepohwin said:

We are leaving in 31 days.

Did you just book, or what? The EDL will work, but I would also bring her birth certificate. It's closed loop. You should be fine.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pepohwin said:

We are leaving in 31 days. And passport renewals have been luck of the draw even if expedited. Yes it’s 100% an Enhanced Drivers License. 

An EDL will work but I would bring her birth certificate. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

One catch is your MIL will not be able to go on the White Pass train in Skagway without a passport. 

There is one White Pass train excursion that does not require a passport. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nordicacres said:

I have an enhanced driver’s license. In order to qualify you have to show just as much proof as you do to obtain a passport, at least in my state. I would ask NCL.

36 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Did you just book, or what? The EDL will work, but I would also bring her birth certificate. It's closed loop. You should be fine.

29 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

One catch is your MIL will not be able to go on the White Pass train in Skagway without a passport. 

Yes. It was a last minute decision and the price was right. This is the cruise we are going on

7-DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN BLISS

Alaska: Dawes Glacier, Juneau & Ketchikan

from Seattle, Washington

There’s no Skagway stop, so not an issue. She has her expired passport to show proof. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pepohwin said:

She has her expired passport to show proof.

That won't buy her a cup of coffee. Bring the EDL and birth cert. No problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I check-in passengers at Pier 91 in Seattle, and as long as your MIL has the Enhanced DL from Michigan, that all that she needs.  The Enhanced DL clearly states "Enhanced Driver's License" at the top of the license.  I only point that out as I have sadly dealt with a number of folks who will argue that their DL is an Enhance DL, when it isn't.  

When you are doing the online registration,  you can enter/scan in the EDL info.

As for bringing her BC, she shouldn't need it, but if it is located, if might be worth the peace of mind.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I check-in passengers at Pier 91 in Seattle, and as long as your MIL has the Enhanced DL from Michigan, that all that she needs.  The Enhanced DL clearly states "Enhanced Driver's License" at the top of the license.  I only point that out as I have sadly dealt with a number of folks who will argue that their DL is an Enhance DL, when it isn't.  

When you are doing the online registration,  you can enter/scan in the EDL info.

As for bringing her BC, she shouldn't need it, but if it is located, if might be worth the peace of mind.

Thank you

• Like 1

I believe the birth certificate must be from the County Recorder where she was born with the official county seal. I don't believe the BC from the hospital will work. This can be ordered online.

• Like 1

I'd like to suggest you move forward with the passport renewal (if possible). You're right - you might not get it back in time, but you'll have it for the next trip. There is a decent chance you'll get it back before the trip. I've been seeing passport renewals come back in 3 - 4 weeks recently. It doesn't hurt and would make your trip easier if you do have the passport. 

But, if you're ok traveling without, then happy travels and I hope you have a wonderful time. Also...OMGOSH Is it seriously less than a month until Alaska cruise season? Where the heck did winter go?!?!?!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

I believe the birth certificate must be from the County Recorder where she was born with the official county seal. I don't believe the BC from the hospital will work. This can be ordered online.

Just to clarify, the BC has to be from a governmental agency. In many places they are kept at the state level, not at the county level. Of course the copy should be certified, but that doesn’t mean it requires a raised seal, because few places use raised seals any longer.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'd like to suggest you move forward with the passport renewal (if possible). You're right - you might not get it back in time, but you'll have it for the next trip. There is a decent chance you'll get it back before the trip. I've been seeing passport renewals come back in 3 - 4 weeks recently. It doesn't hurt and would make your trip easier if you do have the passport. 

But, if you're ok traveling without, then happy travels and I hope you have a wonderful time. Also...OMGOSH Is it seriously less than a month until Alaska cruise season? Where the heck did winter go?!?!?!

The 2024 Cruise Ship Season in Seattle on Saturday April 6th with the Bliss-- 11 Days from today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Also...OMGOSH Is it seriously less than a month until Alaska cruise season? Where the heck did winter go?!?!?!

Our first ship at Pier 91 is April 23rd - Carnival Spirit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Renew her passport - please!  You will need to pay for expedited - which will take 3 weeks or so - get it done NOW.  

And - @Ferry_Watcher - not ALL states have licenses that say 'enhanced DL' - I have one from California and Arizona and the California one has a little golden bear on it and the Arizona one has a gold circle with a white star in it - so @Pepohwin the problem is that you are relying on the NCL employee checking you in to know all of those little nuances of 50 state enhanced licenses. . .

Go make an appointment at a passport office and get her passport renewed in person so she gets it before she departs - she will NOT be able do any non US excursions - and you may be detained for verification by ICE when you get off the ship -

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I’ve told her to do a renewal. So let’s see what she does. Also she just submitted a request for her birth certificate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Just to clarify, the BC has to be from a governmental agency. In many places they are kept at the state level, not at the county level. Of course the copy should be certified, but that doesn’t mean it requires a raised seal, because few places use raised seals any longer.  

Yes, our county just has the seal printed on the official document.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, erisajd said:

not ALL states have licenses that say 'enhanced DL' - I have one from California and Arizona and the California one has a little golden bear on it

Actually, California does not issue Enhanced DL's, just Real ID's.

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/california-news/the-real-id-deadline-is-next-year-heres-what-californians-need-to-do/#:~:text=Some states do issue Enhanced,permanent%2C in the United States.

• Like 1