Move Up Question

Syd58

Posted (edited)

I am taking our daughter on a short (3 night) Caribbean cruise to give her a little break.  I have booked a prime veranda cabin (near rear - on Silhouette). Can you give me an idea of what might be a good bid per person (so that I stand a decent chance) for:

1.Sky Suite

2.Sunset Sky suite 

3.Celebrity suite

4.Royal suite

Which of these are there more of on this ship (which would seem to increase our chances, provided they're not taken)? 

Also, we are not currently booked in the Retreat. If our Move Up request is approved for a suite, does this automatically place us in the Retreat, although we didn't originally book a Retreat suite?

Thanks.

p.s. I have looked at the Move-up thread, but cannot find my exact situation. As a newbie, I greatly appreciate your input.

Edited by Syd58
Added Question

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sorry but absolutely impossible to answer your question as it will vary on every cruise.

If there are lots of unsold cabins then lower offers will be accepted.  During holiday times ships tend to run full so no or few MoveUps accepted.

I note that recently suites on most cruises have been reported as sold out - try a mock booking on a TA site - thus only vacancies would be a last minute cancelation.  A mock booking can give you a guess at if suites are sold out

Yes, you would have access to the Retreat.

Also know those in the Captain's Club get bonus $ for their status.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

Completely understand. I was just hoping some of you experienced cruisers might give me some idea of what you might bid for these suites on this short cruise. Currently, there is a lot of inventory for these suites.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Also know those in the Captain's Club get bonus $ for their status.

I've never heard this before. Can you explain further? If I'm Elite do I get money added to a bid?

5 hours ago, Syd58 said:

Completely understand. I was just hoping some of you experienced cruisers might give me some idea of what you might bid for these suites on this short cruise. Currently, there is a lot of inventory for these suites.

Your best bet is look thru the move up sticky at the top.  Would really only look at bids made this year on it.  But like said there is no way to know what is a solid bid, probably have to go into the good area for it.  My offers on my last 3 cruises on silhouette have all been widely different for each type of suite.  

5 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Your best bet is look thru the move up sticky at the top.  Would really only look at bids made this year on it.  But like said there is no way to know what is a solid bid, probably have to go into the good area for it.  My offers on my last 3 cruises on silhouette have all been widely different for each type of suite.  

I have read through the Move Up thread; unfortunately, I did not see any bid information relating to our specific instance.  I was hoping some experienced cruisers could give me a rough idea of where to start to increase our chances of being successful.

30 minutes ago, Tierun said:

I’d bid the minimum for each and see what happens. Such a short cruise makes it less of an issue not being upgraded.

maybe not the minimum...

if say 10 people bid the minimum, but YOU bid $5 more, you are ahead of the crowd.

just an idea

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. Currently, there is widespread availability in all the suites. I’m wondering what the chances are that Celebrity might reduce the prices since the suites aren’t selling welll on this short cruise?

Edited by Syd58
Added words

If I were you, I would place weak bids on all four Retreat categories.  Remember once you place your bids, usually the system allows you to modify your bids for a certain amount of time.  I did this in hopes of increasing my odds of a bid being accepted.  There are only a few days before I sail, and all of my bids are still showing as pending and I can still modify them.  There are quite a few unknowns and unsolved mysteries regarding the MoveUp process.

1 hour ago, Syd58 said:

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. Currently, there is widespread availability in all the suites. I’m wondering what the chances are that Celebrity might reduce the prices since the suites aren’t selling welll on this short cruise?

How soon is your cruise?? I'm curious as you mentioned widespread suit availability...

If that is truly the case, I would bid just above the lowest on all categories...

Did you receive a Move Up email or check your eligibility on the website??

Good luck!

13 hours ago, kands6191 said:

I've never heard this before. Can you explain further? If I'm Elite do I get money added to a bid?

Yes and it is automatic a couple percentage points.

18 hours ago, Syd58 said:

I am taking our daughter on a short (3 night) Caribbean cruise to give her a little break.  I have booked a prime veranda cabin (near rear - on Silhouette). Can you give me an idea of what might be a good bid per person (so that I stand a decent chance) for:

1.Sky Suite

2.Sunset Sky suite 

3.Celebrity suite

4.Royal suite

Bid what you would be comfortable paying.  There is a minimum and a maximum so just move the slider until it's where you would be comfortable paying and pray for the best. 

As other have said, do a mock booking to see what these suites are selling for to ensure that you do not pay more than that in total (the price of your current booking plus the price of the move up bid combined). 

Which of these are there more of on this ship (which would seem to increase our chances, provided they're not taken)? 

There are more Sky Suites than the other suites.  You order pretty much is in the decending order for the number available on the ship. 

Also, we are not currently booked in the Retreat. If our Move Up request is approved for a suite, does this automatically place us in the Retreat, although we didn't originally book a Retreat suite?

If you are moved up to the a suite, you will get Retreat privileges which will be access to the Retreat, Retreat Sundeck and Luminae, free drinks in the Retreat Lounge, but not in Luminae or the Retreat Sundeck.  

If you prepurchased any drink packages, you would keep those packages and get drinks outside the lounge based on your package.