Tahiti shore excursions - Winstar versus third party

rjp50

We will be doing our first Windstar cruise on the Star Breeze this September on the 7-night cruise around the Society Islands.  I am trying to figure out what shore excursions to book, both in terms of doing ship excursions versus third-party as well as which excursions in particular were most memorable.  We are looking forward to snorkeling (although we are somewhat novice snorkelers).  We also enjoy drives with exceptional scenery.  One thing I am wondering about for using third party operators is whether there are logistical issues (e.g. transportation to/from docks or tender ports to tour meeting point, language problems or timing issues).

One company I can  recommend without question for snorkeling is H2O Bora Bora. https://boraborah2o.com/bora-bora-snorkeling-tours.html

Have booked with them consistently for about 10 years. Their devotion to their clients is nonpareil. The focus is entirely about keeping you safe while showing you the very best snorkeling in the lagoon. They, and most other well known providers will pick you up  at 8:30 at the dock in Vaitape where Star Breeze tenders. The company has two boats which can  take 4 or 6 people so you're getting a virtual private tour compared to other companies which take on as many as 12. They have employed the same 3 amazing captains since inception. You can book 1/2 or full day, but let me tell you in BB it is ALL about being IN the lagoon.

Nancy

• Like 2

Petoonya, thanks for your comment and endorsement of H2O Bora Bora.  I have read other endorsements of this company as well.  However, in looking at their web site, the only time that they are still available for excursions is the first morning that we will be in Bora Bora.  According to the Windstar published agenda, we don't arrive until 9:00.  Between that arrival time as well as time waiting to tender and actually getting ashore I assume that a morning excursion on the first day will not be possible.  I have contacted H2O Bora Bora to see if they have any suggestions around this but have not heard back from them.

@rjp50

You'll be happy to hear that as of February Windstar is a partner with H2O Bora Bora! The half day snorkel WS offers is H2OBB. A very nice surprise for me too. During COVID I kept encouraging them to pursue WS- took a bit but the pieces came together.

A BIG reason to book your snorkel trip early! Very early.

There's one other snorkel company that has small groups (like 6), and that's Tohora Bora Bora. Capt Simon has been doing this for almost 25 years and he's a treasure. He also does whale watching in season, but Moorea is really the place for that. (Just be sure you inquire as to the ethical treatment of the whales- that they aren't "hunting " them, encircling with other boats etc.) Sad to see some captains harassing the whales for profit.i

Moana Adventure (max 6) also excellent.

Can''t go wrong with Reef Discovery and Lagoon Service either, but max 12.

@rjp50

Reread your post and thinking that whatever 1/2 day snorkel is available with WS for the day you arrive at 9am should hopefully be H2O BB. Fingers crossed that reservations might share that info with you to be sure. I'll email Aimee at H2O BB and see what she has to say about the 9am arrival day and her snorkel offerings. 🙂

22 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Petoonya, thanks for your comment and endorsement of H2O Bora Bora.  I have read other endorsements of this company as well.  However, in looking at their web site, the only time that they are still available for excursions is the first morning that we will be in Bora Bora.  According to the Windstar published agenda, we don't arrive until 9:00.  Between that arrival time as well as time waiting to tender and actually getting ashore I assume that a morning excursion on the first day will not be possible.  I have contacted H2O Bora Bora to see if they have any suggestions around this but have not heard back from them.

Petoonya, do you know if H2O Bora Bora provides the Half Day Eco Snorkeling or the Snorkel Safari & Stingray that WS offers? 

13 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@rjp50

Reread your post and thinking that whatever 1/2 day snorkel is available with WS for the day you arrive at 9am should hopefully be H2O BB. Fingers crossed that reservations might share that info with you to be sure. I'll email Aimee at H2O BB and see what she has to say about the 9am arrival day and her snorkel offerings. 🙂

I'm curious if H2O BB is changing their operation in order to deal with Windstar.  I thought that they only had 2 small boats.  I would think that to deal with Windstar that they would need larger boats.

@ridethetide  and @rjp50

Hope you find this email from Aimee helpful.

This is the email I use to reach her, yet you're probably using the same.

h2oborabora@gmail.com

Also- have another pricey but AMAZING suggestion for private snorkel tour in Moorea. If you're interested let me know. Another for Huahine too.

Here's Aimee:

"Hello Nancy,

Thanks for your reply.
The arrival time of the StarBreeze is listed as 9am.  She is always here earlier and our excursion for the AM starts at 8h15 with the guests being brought across on the first tender.

Our excursion is described as "Eco Snorkeling Sites and Manta Rays Adventure"
Hope this helps 😊
Many thanks,

Aimee"

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@ridethetide  and @rjp50

Hope you find this email from Aimee helpful.

This is the email I use to reach her, yet you're probably using the same.

h2oborabora@gmail.com

Also- have another pricey but AMAZING suggestion for private snorkel tour in Moorea. If you're interested let me know. Another for Huahine too.

Here's Aimee:

"Hello Nancy,

Thanks for your reply.
The arrival time of the StarBreeze is listed as 9am.  She is always here earlier and our excursion for the AM starts at 8h15 with the guests being brought across on the first tender.

Our excursion is described as "Eco Snorkeling Sites and Manta Rays Adventure"
Hope this helps 😊
Many thanks,

Aimee"

Petoonya, thank you so much for reaching out to Aimee. There is a WS excursion called "Half Day Eco Snorkeling Shared Boat" in Bora Bora. I guess that is the one she referenced. I would be interested in the contact information for snorkeling on Moorea and Huahine and any other recommendations you have for excursions. Our cruise is not until September 4, 2025, and I am traveling with my grown son, who adores the ocean. Thanks. 

Sure. Tahiti is my love! Don't know if you are doing the Tuamotus but I'll share anyway. This is the best I've got for snorkeling, jet ski etc. You can check reviews and get contact info for all of these on Tripadvisor.

Moorea- you're there for whale season 🙂 I think the best for respecting the whales as well as teaching about and  gently positioning you close  enough to swim with but not threaten the gorgeous creatures, is Moorea Ocean Adventures. Fabulous! Snorkel tours as well. These folks know their stuff. In recent past however they start  their tours earlier than WS arrives. Be sure to verify arrival time  before you book. Might be impossible.

The most wonderful private tour is Mermaid Private Boat Tours- FABULOUS but quite pricey. If you're going to splurge this is the place to  do it. The reviews say it all.

Bora Bora- gave the best previously and the best of the rest.

Huahine- Huahine Dream Tours.

Raiatea- Jet ski/snorkel- perfect for the stunning views/snorkeling on Raiatea and Tahaa! Raiatea Jet https://www.raiateajet.com/en  Dolphins try to jump your jet.

Motu Mahaea- a MUST is the Coral Gardens tour  offered by the ship. Book early. Rash guard at a minimum. Swim shoes. the coral can be sharp and dangerous.

Fakarava-the very best in Fakarava was always Ato of Fakrava Divelodge. I'm emailing him as I write this. He had frightful back to back family tragedies almost 2 years ago. His all day tours were continued for awhile by another son who was as amazing as his dad. I'll let you know what I hear. In lieu of that O2 Fakarava did offer a Pufuna snorkel tour, but they are primarily a dive outfit. (Fakarava and Rangiroa are a divers paradise, if you or son  are divers and  interested.) Book early! Lastly,Pufuna snorkel (ship's tour) is only 90 min but challenging, and amazing  snorkeling.

Rangiroa- Several companies offer The Aquarium and drift snorkel of the Tiputa pass. Do both,

but the  drift snorkel requires the tides to be optimal to be safe. The ship offers as separate tours. Cost will be far better with an outside company, but you might  still decide to go with ship's tour here.

I am terribly long winded, sorry! Hope you and your son have a blast! I've yet to sail on Star Breeze in FP- did Wind Spirit 18 day several times, and Wind Song once before it was lost. My favorite in FP Wind Song Pacific crossing- woo-hoo! Hugs and love from Nancy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Nancy for all of your wealth of knowledge about Tahiti. We are headed that direction and I was thinking I would have to go and re-read all your posts to find out this info. 😄

You will find that some of the excursion companies will not book privately when one of the cruise ships is in port; they have contracts to accept the cruise line passengers only.

• 3 weeks later...

Long time cruiser but first timer on Windstar coming up in Oct for Tahiti.  Over the years I’ve booked excursions both through 3rd party as well cruise lines - pros and cons for both.  When booking via the cruise line, I generally expect some premium in the price due to the cruise line being a middleman but I was quite surprised to find out Windstar was increasing the excursion price by 80% on one excursion I was looking at.  I found this to be a bit unreasonable and it pushed me to book w a different excursion provider (rated equally high) directly and save the $135.  Not sure if this is the rule or exception with Windstar but thought I would mention just to be aware.  Good news is there appears to be multiple highly rated excursion operators, which allows for choices.