Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

36 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We left a bit early because I wanted to have dinner at the Polaris Lounge before boarding.   Nice menu

IMG_3219.thumb.jpeg.6bf90be30a1f7bd0aad0c1527b579bfb.jpeg

Iain was going to wait and eat on board but finally agreed to have a cheese platter.   The waiter was like Luminae and said I brought you a Salmon so you can nibble.   It was incredible.     I had a the Polaris Burger --- Yum

My husband thought the Polaris Burger at IAD was one of the best burgers he has ever had. Totally agree, the food on the flight was barely passable. Definitly eat in the lounge.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Ha ha.  Only felt it because I was on the second floor of my building.  Other teachers had no idea…pretty cool though.

I'm on the 4th, so yeah. I was mid-sentence and just kind of stopped for the duration. LOL.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 6:35 PM, PinkSandGirl said:

Jim & Iain,

Hi!  Have safe traveling days and  wonderful cruises.

It's always fun reading your Live threads and the community that forms around them.   The first one I ever read was your 'adventure' in 2020 before the world shut down.  When you cruised the Equinox in '21, I even had my dad following along since we sailed after you in October '21 on the Equinox.  We would talk about your travels and say, 'Jim and Iain did this, said this, etc...' and my mom would be like, who are you talking about?!  😂   It's like we knew you.  😉

Kelly =).

🍹

Kelly

Can't tell you how much fun we have sharing as well as reading other Live Posts.    BTW way when checking out the boarding I ran into 2 CC'ers --- They are on a B2B and tried to brave the storm but returned to the ship quickly.  

In Sydney all B2B's have to get off the ship and can't reboard until general boarding begins.   Once on the ship you can't leave again.  So keep in mind if boarding in Sydney.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2024 at 6:59 PM, MicCanberra said:

Sydney's weather forecast.

They did not disappoint.    I think there was 3 1/2 inches of rain -  Sometimes so heavy sounded like a snare drum roll.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2024 at 7:42 AM, DaKahuna said:

Twelve pages before arriving at the airport -- is this a new record?  

LOL.... I really don't really keep records...but a great kick off.   Fun to see so many here.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

We're probably closer, as we live in Mountain View, but our complex is in the Los Altos school district.

I'm really close to Mountain View --- The boarder is the center lane of Mary about 500 feet. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The weather really came for Sydney and elsewhere today I hope it improves for tomorrow.

Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day.    Really intense rain last night but suppose to be clear and about 78F (25C) today.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They did not disappoint.    I think there was 3 1/2 inches of rain -  Sometimes so heavy sounded like a snare drum roll.

Parts of Sydney with over 6 inches of rain since 9 am yesterday 

Screenshot_20240406-084700_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 4/5/2024 at 5:24 AM, raudacruise said:

Enjoyed the Daily Walk video.

You’ll never see me in a driverless car.  They break down, then a T. rex eats you. 🦖

I just heard on the news --- (I have my Firestick up and running and with VPN watching our home news)   They just started doing Driver-less Food Delivery.   When you vehicle arrives you are notified and the door is unlocked and you just open the door and retrieve your delivery.  

To be honest in my Parents generation, the biggest angst was the possibility of loosing your driers license and loosing their independence.   In the future you could either own a driver-less vehicle or just summon one and have your independence.     I think I could get use to it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

It was a pleasure to meeting you at the Sydney pax terminal today!  I only wish we could have arranged better weather to greet you and lain 💦⛈️💦.  We look forward to following your adventures across the pacific!  Safe travels and calm seas 😀☀️🛳️.

Fantastic meeting you also ---For the rest of you---- 81Zoomie and her husband.... I'm so bad translating CC Names to peoples real names  - I bumped into yesterday at the Edge.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, countess5 said:

WOW! I finally caught up on this adventure!  Can’t wait to follow along and live though you guys!

Just FYI, we were on the big Island and drove across Saddle Road one day, the weather was brutal, only got across because we followed a Sears service truck. I few days later we were on the Kona side again and wanted to get to Hilo. Stopped at a gas station for gas and asked the attendant how do you get to Saddle Road.

He looked at the car and asked is this a rental? I said yes…he asked if I read my rental agreement? NO! He responded that you are not covered if you have an accident on Saddle Road, your contract is void! 🙀. I looked at my DW and said I guess we may be buying a car. We went across and the drive was beautiful. Driving between the two Volcanos! Amazing!

Safe Travels

Cheers! 

Yikes --- I'll have to keep that in mind.   I

7 hours ago, JackE said:

Great video! What a beautiful setting, so bucolic. No wonder you love to walk through the area. What was the temperature outside? 

There are some beautiful areas around Silicon Valley.   I'm so happy they have preserved them.  When I get to the trail if I were to turn to the Right instead of Left it takes me to Google and the SF Bay - Bay-Lands.  They now have a trail fully around and across the bay -  running over 100 miles.    Most of it is reclaimed marshland.    Years ago Leslie salt created huge evaporation ponds to produce salt and they are being returned to their natural habitat

BTW-  The train in my video was a gift from Google -  They donate over 1 Million to pave it.   They also have shuttle busses that they made available to all at no cost.  What a great neighbor.

Our temperatures are mild but do occasionally get frost.   During the fall spring and Winter the temps are cool in morning 55-60.   Low 70's in afternoon.   Summer we stay cool due to the bay and most of the time 70-80

• Like 3

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Are you on the ship?
I’ve just seen that the Captain of Royal Princess has just announced that they will be 4 hours late into port due to the weather.

No - we do not board until Wednesday.    Edge was in port on schedule.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, juanrod said:

Glad you made it , hope your back settles down, and you two dry out. @Jim_Iain  if you were home we are getting another storm again  and there was an earthquake above Sacramento.  Mother Nature definitely making herself known 

I heard about that.   Also NYC had an earthquake.    I talk to one of my daughter ever day and she gives me a run down of the happenings.    

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Jim 

try the spa for massage &  physical relief for pulled muscles and a  muscle gel  

Sorry for bad weather ..hope it stops..We have had days of rain here in NY.  and.......

We just had an earthquake this a.m est 4.8  Epicenter was  in N.J..due west of  Long Island, NY where we are..house shook back and forth... very un-nerving but no damage we can see..never experienced anytjing like that before!

I was just watching the news..   I'm sure if your are not accustomed to them it can be very concerning.  Normally you don't see damage until you hit 5, but our buildings are built to earthquake standards.   

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

There are some beautiful areas around Silicon Valley.   I'm so happy they have preserved them.  When I get to the trail if I were to turn to the Right instead of Left it takes me to Google and the SF Bay - Bay-Lands.  They now have a trail fully around and across the bay -  running over 100 miles.    Most of it is reclaimed marshland.    Years ago Leslie salt created huge evaporation ponds to produce salt and they are being returned to their natural habitat

BTW-  The train in my video was a gift from Google -  They donate over 1 Million to pave it.   They also have shuttle busses that they made available to all at no cost.  What a great neighbor.

Our temperatures are mild but do occasionally get frost.   During the fall spring and Winter the temps are cool in morning 55-60.   Low 70's in afternoon.   Summer we stay cool due to the bay and most of the time 70-80

So it was 60ish and sunny on your walk? Perfect!

Andrew my husband went to school out there and really wants us to go back for a visit. There's just no time between work, family visits and cruises! 🤪 

Have a great time on your cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Also felt it here is CT. Windows shook a bit, felt like a low flying plane was nearby. 

USGS has a website --- I Felt That

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/data/dyfi/

It is fun to read the reports.     People report where they are what they felt.   Fun read.

We have constant earthquakes ----99% less than 3.0 and  one never feels them.  

It is interesting to understand that The Richter scale is a base-10 logarithmic scale, meaning that each order of magnitude is 10 times more intensive than the last one. In other words, a two is 10 times more intense than a one and a three is 100 times greater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

USGS has a website --- I Felt That

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/data/dyfi/

It is fun to read the reports.     People report where they are what they felt.   Fun read.

We have constant earthquakes ----99% less than 3.0 and  one never feels them.  

It is interesting to understand that The Richter scale is a base-10 logarithmic scale, meaning that each order of magnitude is 10 times more intensive than the last one. In other words, a two is 10 times more intense than a one and a three is 100 times greater.

Just had a 4.0 aftershock. Felt it in Brooklyn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We had no damage ..we are in  center of Long Island (halfway between Manhattan and Montauk) .. way  east of the  NJ  epicenter. 

Almost all of our wall art and photos need to be straightened.  Local TV is  showing damage closer to where it hit!   And they say there were a few aftershocks.   But nothing being  shown looks like Taiwan.

So there will be pre cruise posts from Jim before  sail away,?

An interesting bit of trivia about Earthquakes and Aftershocks --- there is a 10% probability that and Aftershock can be of a greater magnitude than the primary earthquake.

• Like 4

Hope the Earthquake settles down!

nothing here on LI, NY

Jim...Jyst an opposing view:   As for driverless delivery..hope they keep that in the desert for awhile....not quite  ready for having that on the roads.. esp here in NY.  .Fun as a science project but not perfected!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We had no damage ..we are in  center of Long Island (halfway between Manhattan and Montauk) .. way  east of the  NJ  epicenter. 

Almost all of our wall art and photos need to be straightened.  Local TV is  showing damage closer to where it hit!   And they say there were a few aftershocks.   But nothing being  shown looks like Taiwan.

So there will be pre cruise posts from Jim before  sail away,?

Ok... back to where I lived.   Must have been close to you.    I lived in Plainview (dab smack in the middle of the Island) --- I think I was in 6th or 7th grade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

If you don’t know what to do due to the rain,the indoor market is interesting.

It’s a Victorian building.

A friend was showing us round Sydney and she had never been and was very impressed.

We have been there and a great area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Ha ha.  Only felt it because I was on the second floor of my building.  Other teachers had no idea…pretty cool though.

Really strange with relatively small quakes... sometime on person will feel it and another won't.  More likely on upper floors than if on sold ground.

• Like 1