Change for the butter

On 4/7/2024 at 4:16 AM, Womble99 said:

Wonder what they use on the popcorn?

The last two cruises on Princess the buttered popcorn has been fine. Previous to that it was terrible. 

On 4/7/2024 at 9:53 PM, travellingnana said:

@beg3yrs also on the Discovery now. Just ask the waiters to bring you pats of butter instead, and they will do it. 

We did just this on Discovery last week. Yes they will bring you pats of butter, but it’s the same product, just harder! Tried to tell us that they make their own butter. Come to think of it, I did hear mooing one night, but just thought my beef was just a bit rare.

• Haha 5

Was on the Emerald only weeks ago, and they were using the unsalted butter, which I was perfectly happy with (especially since it was ideal spreading temperature). I'm sure you could ask for salted if you desired it.

I asked about it when it arrived automatically the first time and was told it was only that night as it was Italian night. The second time, they had to fetch 'butter' from the Reserved dining area as they had none in our section. Does that mean that reserved dining get the real stuff and the rest don't?

We had fake butter each time on the Caribbean Princess last month.  In retrospect we should have asked for the real thing!

We've been told that it's real butter by not only those of us who know how unsalted butter tastes, but also the actual Executive Chefs in charge of the butter, so at this point people calling it "fake" are either delusional or believe in conspiracy theories.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheMichael said:

We've been told that it's real butter by not only those of us who know how unsalted butter tastes, but also the actual Executive Chefs in charge of the butter, so at this point people calling it "fake" are either delusional or believe in conspiracy theories.

It is certainly 'different' taste, texture and look to what I would call proper butter. Maybe refer to it as adulterated and unadulterated instead. But it certainly isn't proper

14 hours ago, rosevew said:

It is certainly 'different' taste, texture and look to what I would call proper butter. Maybe refer to it as adulterated and unadulterated instead. But it certainly isn't proper

I don’t know if taking something away (salt) could be considered “adulterating” - if anything, the salt would be adulterating the pure unsalted butter. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2024 at 2:55 PM, damiross said:

Or just skip the topic when you see it.  The topic may not interest you but it might interest others.

As of May 23 there are 86 posts on the topic of butter.  Hard to believe.

DON

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2024 at 7:30 AM, TheMichael said:

It’s is quite an art that they make the whipped up, so-called real butter taste so cheap and synthetic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With all the salt in the food on Princess do you really need more in your butter ?  We only use unsalted butter at home. Heck I grew up on margarine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Camberley said:

It’s is quite an art that they make the whipped up, so-called real butter taste so cheap and synthetic.

Forgive me for doubting your level of expertise here. I'm sure that if you could provide your training and credentials, that might alleviate some skepticism.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

Forgive me for doubting your level of expertise here. I'm sure that if you could provide your training and credentials, that might alleviate some skepticism.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

I have a bachelor's degree in food science, and the butter we had on Crown these last 11 days could have had some real butter in it but frankly looked and tasted like whipped margarine.

What's more, nobody serves unsalted butter in a restaurant, because it doesn't taste like anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AllHandsAstern said:

I have a bachelor's degree in food science, and the butter we had on Crown these last 11 days could have had some real butter in it but frankly looked and tasted like whipped margarine.

What's more, nobody serves unsalted butter in a restaurant, because it doesn't taste like anything.

I guess you would not want to come to our house for dinner because all we use is unsalted. Princess food has so much salt that I find I have to be careful or by ankles will start to swell

I'm on Coral at the moment. This morning in the buffet the butter was white and sort of crumbly - it didn't spread well. I can't comment on taste because I had Vegemite on it.

Now, at lunch in the MDR, it is light yellow, spreads easily and tastes like creamy butter. 

Go figure!

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm on Coral at the moment. This morning in the buffet the butter was white and sort of crumbly - it didn't spread well. I can't comment on taste because I had Vegemite on it.

That crumbly stuff (whatever it is) has no taste to me. 

Now, at lunch in the MDR, it is light yellow, spreads easily and tastes like creamy butter. 

Go figure!

See above.