Questions about Silver Nova - Silversea First Time Guests

JPS2

Hello! 

My extended family and I will be aboard the Silver Nova in August to Alaska.  This is our first time experiencing Silver Nova.  

We are staying in two adjoining Veranda Suites and my elderly parents have a handicapped premium veranda suite.  Can anyone tell me if it is possible to open or remove the divider on the balconies of the adjoining suites?  Also, does anyone have photos or videos they can post of what the handicap veranda suite and balcony look like? 

I also would appreciate your opinions for the restaurants.  We are booked for one night at La Dame, but I have read mixed reviews.  Three of us are also interested in the chefs table dinner, is it worth it? 

Just to share to everyone, the reservations for dinner opened up for me prior to 120 days.  I was able to book at 8pm EST 121 days before my departure.  

Our embarkation time is 2pm.  What time should we arrive to the boat?  Do they allow passengers aboard prior to that time?  2pm is the earliest embarkation time for the ship.  

Lastly, I don’t see an option to book a couples massage.  Is this something that can be booked onboard? 

I would appreciate any other advise and or tips.  

Thanks so much!

52 minutes ago, JPS2 said:

Hello! 

My extended family and I will be aboard the Silver Nova in August to Alaska.  This is our first time experiencing Silver Nova.  

We are staying in two adjoining Veranda Suites and my elderly parents have a handicapped premium veranda suite.  Can anyone tell me if it is possible to open or remove the divider on the balconies of the adjoining suites?  Also, does anyone have photos or videos they can post of what the handicap veranda suite and balcony look like? 

I also would appreciate your opinions for the restaurants.  We are booked for one night at La Dame, but I have read mixed reviews.  Three of us are also interested in the chefs table dinner, is it worth it? 

Just to share to everyone, the reservations for dinner opened up for me prior to 120 days.  I was able to book at 8pm EST 121 days before my departure.  

Our embarkation time is 2pm.  What time should we arrive to the boat?  Do they allow passengers aboard prior to that time?  2pm is the earliest embarkation time for the ship.  

Lastly, I don’t see an option to book a couples massage.  Is this something that can be booked onboard? 

I would appreciate any other advise and or tips.  

Thanks so much!

Couples massages definitely can be booked once on the ship.

Balcony dividers are able to be opened, but I have yet to read when this was allowed.  No good reason not to open when both suites want that, but unlikely to happen.

Drop luggage from 12pm and you might be able to board earlier after protocols.

La Dame is NOT worth the new, excessive price.  Most reviews agree with this.  Atlantide in a smaller setting!  Chef’s table (I’ve not done it) by all reports is worth the charge, but ask about the menu before booking.

Enjoy your family cruise.

• Like 1

Food is subjective.  We did both the Chef's Table and LaDame. While we thought both were overpriced, we enjoyed LaDame more. The Chef's Table is a nice concept, but needs work. Many of the small plate courses were just not good - tough duck, over or undercooked vegetables and several uninteresting dishes. The food was far better at Atlantide or SALT kitchen. It is more about the "experience". If you've never been to a Chef's Table before, it would be fun, but if you have access to restaurants on land that offer them your $180 will go further (although not cover the whole dinner if you live in NY like we do).

The food in LaDame on Nova was better than what we had elsewhere on the ship. Much better quality caviar, Dover sole, seafood soup etc. The service was also excellent and the included wines were better than we got elsewhere. That said, I still think the upcharge was too high. However, if you're looking to splurge check out the menus and see which appeals to you.

• Like 1

This is the menu from our dinner at the Chef's Table. The menu was the same for the entire cruise. I'm fairly certain the Nova LaDame menu was posted on Cruise Critic previously.

20240204_120130.jpg

I have also sailed Nova and did not eat in LaDame but I did try the Chef's Table and enjoyed myself very much😀 Met some really nice folks too. I doubt I would spend the $$$ on it again but I am glad I booked it.

As for boarding time, that 2:00 hour was put in place after the restart from Covid back in 2021. Not sure why they still have it that way.  I have sailed multiple times since then  and have boarded earlier than that on several cruises. 

Hope you and your family have a great cruise😀

5 hours ago, JPS2 said:

That is because they use London (Greenwich Mean Time) time to start counting the 120 days.  8pm EST is 1:00 am London time, or 1 hour after the 120 day period started!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sea bright said:

This is the menu from our dinner at the Chef's Table. The menu was the same for the entire cruise. I'm fairly certain the Nova LaDame menu was posted on Cruise Critic previously.

20240204_120130.jpg

Doesn’t this menu change based on the region that is being sailed just as the SALT restaurant changes?

I asked whether the menu changed. Our Chef said the same menu was being used for the entire South American GV. He thought a similar menu had been used prior to the GV, but wasn't completely sure. He said he had suggested changing the menu periodically, but had not gotten approval.

24 minutes ago, sea bright said:

I asked whether the menu changed. Our Chef said the same menu was being used for the entire South American GV. He thought a similar menu had been used prior to the GV, but wasn't completely sure. He said he had suggested changing the menu periodically, but had not gotten approval.

That would be an odd menu in Asia for example.

Definitely! I got the feeling it's all evolving as they see how it sells (and what the new budget allows). It was more than 3/4 full the night we were there, but I heard other nights on our cruise it was less than half full.

We are also new to Silverseas.  Our cruises are not booked until next year.  Since our first cruise is port intensive, we plan on relaxing on the ship on at least one day.  What restaurants  and bars are open while in port?  We are doing the Moon and Nova.
We have been doing Celebrity Retreat cruises.  What are the good and bad compared with a Suite experience on an upscale cruiseline?  Are there any DO NOT MISS experiences we should book?  

• Like 1

Yes the balcony can open. 

We did not eat at La Dame. Did Chef's Table twice on our SA GV. Really enjoyed the food and the experience. 

I will post photos of 9041 which is a HA Premium Suite. 

We had the bed rotated to fit my wheelchair. The magnetic hooks on the wall we brought make sure to get heavy duty. I bought baskets for the vanity as there are no drawers. The hooks for the bathrobes were ours also. IMG_5191.thumb.jpeg.53d25c1a18105006b1db6c7bc5ed3564.jpegIMG_5188.thumb.jpeg.e3a2b63fe9699dd6fd266adbf7147e57.jpegIMG_5230.thumb.jpeg.4c06fee6d045623f02fe7affadb851da.jpegIMG_5231.thumb.jpeg.2f2a1ac4b2f7490fe5340e9385134d33.jpegIMG_5232.thumb.jpeg.af94b8c922e13d2800f84773516c51c6.jpegIMG_5233.thumb.jpeg.e98523093083c8d7c2db24e9f328ecd8.jpegIMG_5235.thumb.jpeg.2757652a594fd43218c84823a963d53a.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for your responses, and thank you to JSR for the photos of your HA Premium Veranda!  The veranda looks very spacious.  Can you tell me if the couch was a sofa bed as well?  We are traveling on the Nova to Alaska.  Do you have any other tips about the ship?

Edited by JPS2

That’s two funny in 71 days we never checked if it was a sleep sofa. It is long enough for my husband to nap on but we never looked at opening it. 
I know this sounds funny but in 7 days in Alaska you’re not going to have much ship time. Go to observation early to get a good view of the glaciers. They will serve coffee, cocktails and lite snacks there. 
Book Silver Note and order the duck. It’s a later night so book when you don’t have any early excursion. 
the best coffee is in Arts cafe. The rest is hit or miss. Ask your butler to bring you Americanos in your coffee pot. 
Alaska is fantastic. However, not sure how much balcony time you’ll have or want. The temps can be low and the rain persistent. 
You can see the views from  SALT cooking class. If you want first choice then go a bit early for the open house and sign up. 
SALT restaurant was our go to. Changes menu every 3 days. Not sure what it will be like in AK as it regionally based, it was fantastic in South America. 
Soup is good at LaTerraza as is the pasta. I try to avoid pasta so didn’t go offen. Alantitude wasn’t our vibe but went occasionally. Room service club sandwich was my husband fav when we wanted quick and simple. However on a 7 day cruise this isn’t an issue. The grill (marquee) has blankets and heaters. Thier breakfast and lunch were another go to. Lighter fare and they served longer hours. 

The library is a closed door in observation to the left of the coffee machine. 
SALT bar has a mixologist and is a lot of fun. Though Dolce is many people’s go to.

We went to several good headliner shows but aren’t much for the singer/dancer shows. Personal taste. just know there is no bar service or bar on deck 4 so if you want a drink during the show it is BYOB and Dolce on Deck 5 is the closest bar. 
Lectures show up On your TV if you missed one you were interested in under live video though they are not in real time. You can hear the naturalist commentary in the observation lounge and cabin when the person is speaking from the bridge. 
Public bathrooms are plentiful with ADA bathrooms on every deck however they are only at one end of the ship so plan accordingly, for some slow walkers this was a problem. For me using a wheelchair it was a huge upgrade from the Moon etc. with only one ADA public restroom. All the doors to the outside are automatic. 

Nova is a beautiful ship, with amazing service. Haven’t found a place yet that beats the natural beauty of Alaska. Have a fantastic time.

questions? 

• Like 1