Excursions For The New England/Canada Cruise

Hello, We are cruising on the Enchanted in August.  So far, we have booked excursions through the cruise line for two stops.

Just wondering if we should we go through the cruise line or on our own for the rest...

We still have to decide on the Newport, Rhode Island....St. John, Canada and the Halifax, Canada stops.

If you have any excursion recommendations for those stops, that you have already experienced, I would greatly appreciated your input. TIA

Many times places like the ones you mention here are very easy to do on your own, often not only more cost effective, but a more satisfying experience.

In Halifax, we rented a car and drove to Peggy's Cove for the morning and then visited the Titanic Cemetery and Museum in the afternoon. In Newport, we booked a private tour to Rose Island Lighthouse for the morning, ate lunch in town, and then did a tour at The Breakers in the afternoon. All of this was arranged on our own as opposed to booking a ship tour.

• Like 1

St John, New Brunswick:  I think this is the port you mean, as there is also a St.John’s Newfoundland. We went with Alexi , wonderful day out. 

https://gofundytours.ca

We booked a trolly tour for Newport and a rental car with another couple for Halifax. Both were cancelled due to Hurricane Fionna and related weather.  I always stress to check the operator’s cancellation policies. Some require 24 hours notice.  

You  might also try the Cruise Critic port of call boards or your roll call. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/9-canadanew-england/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2437-enchanted-princess-roll-calls/

We also rented a car in Halifax; the rental agency was very close to the dock. In addition to Peggy’s Cove (where we arrived earlier than most of the buses), we visited the public gardens (beautiful), the Titanic Cemetery, and the Nautical Museum (a short walk down the street from the ship). 

in St. John, we went on a private full-day tour with four other passengers and saw much of the amazing coastline of New Brunswick. We also stopped by the bay at 2 separate times in order to see the tide going in and out- pretty impressive.

2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Many times places like the ones you mention here are very easy to do on your own, often not only more cost effective, but a more satisfying experience.

In Halifax, we rented a car and drove to Peggy's Cove for the morning and then visited the Titanic Cemetery and Museum in the afternoon. In Newport, we booked a private tour to Rose Island Lighthouse for the morning, ate lunch in town, and then did a tour at The Breakers in the afternoon. All of this was arranged on our own as opposed to booking a ship tour.

Thank you.  Sounds like a great plan! 

I haven't been to any of these stops, and wondered if the town is close by. 

I love to shop!!  lol

53 minutes ago, milolii said:

St John, New Brunswick:  I think this is the port you mean, as there is also a St.John’s Newfoundland. We went with Alexi , wonderful day out. 

https://gofundytours.ca

We booked a trolly tour for Newport and a rental car with another couple for Halifax. Both were cancelled due to Hurricane Fionna and related weather.  I always stress to check the operator’s cancellation policies. Some require 24 hours notice.  

You  might also try the Cruise Critic port of call boards or your roll call. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/9-canadanew-england/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2437-enchanted-princess-roll-calls/

Thank you for the links.  I will check them out.

I think we will book on our own for the rest of the stops.

The trolley tour in Newport sounds like fun! 🙂 

I will be sure to check out their cancellation policy too with whatever we decide to do.

I highly recommend a tour of Cliff Walk and The Breakers in Newport. Also, the Trinity Church in Newport is worth seeing. The wineglass pulpit is amazing.

Halifax is a lovely city. The Hop-on/Hop-Off bus is a great way to see the sights and get off to linger if you want. The Citadel is really interesting and the Maritime Museum has a great exhibit on the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion. It's also really easy to find food along the boardwalk at the waterfront. Cows Ice Cream is touristy, but it's good ice cream too.

I do not recommend the nature trail at Irving Nature Park on a tour. The guide I had on that tour was a competitive walker and thought everyone on the tour was as well. Three people on our tour tripped over the roots because she was walking so fast. We had to send someone running to catch her because she did not notice or pay attention to the people at the back of the group calling for her to stop for a moment. I wish I had seen more of the Nature Park than what was beneath my feet.

FYI - I posted these comments this week for a Princess roll call for September 2024. I currently live in RI.

Newport

In General

Climate/crowds: Labor Day weekend expect 75-80 degrees weather. Don't be surprised if it is humid since we do have hot humid summers here but usually cooler on the water. Expect crowds if the weather is nice since this is the traditional end of tourist season so the streets will be crowded by late morning. (Locals often avoid this weekend since parking gets difficult - obviously not a cruiser issue.) Newport is probably the OG of seaside towns and has a feel similar to Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA. 

Downtown

Most of the shops and restaurants are clustered in the downtown area which consist of America's Cup Avenue and Thames Street which run parallel along the Bay. America's Cup is along the Bay and Thames Street is just east of it a block away. My understanding is that tenders drop off at Perrotti Park which is on America's Cup Avenue. Shops and restaurants start at Perrotti Park on America's Cup and go about a half mile or so southward. Thames Street shops and restaurants start about a 1/4-mile further north. 

Restaurants

For the locals (Rhode Islanders) Newport is very popular year-round. The wife and I have two favorites we take people to: Brick Alley Pub on Thames Street which has the pub and tavern feel and The Mooring which is seafood (has meat options). The Mooring has great views if you get an outside table since it overlooks the Bay, and you are in the midst of a wharf / boat slips. Brick Alley is a 5-minute walk (.2 mile) east from Perrotti Park and The Mooring is a 7-minute walk (.3 mile) south down America's Cup. There are plenty good restaurants around. I strongly suggest making reservations no matter where you plan on going. Make them at least a few weeks out. As a point of reference, I tried to walk into Brick Alley on a weekday in the summer and there was a 1 hour wait for lunch.

Excursions

One word - yikes! The last excursion listed (Newport Scenic Schooner Cruise) is a great example. I took family last June on the same schooner and it is $45 a ticket. They want $129. You can actually book the same time they are showing and save yourself $84 per person and still have the safe return guarantee, LOL.  Mansion tickets run $25, $38, $46 for one, two, or three mansions respectively if you want to compare. Now, you would have to uber/taxi to avoid the walk (about 45 minutes) but you get the point. 

Points of Interest

Various boat rides (as discussed above) are generally from Bowens Wharf is about 5-minute walk from Perrotti Park down America's Cup.

Mansions - if you do one, I suggest the biggest and most famous - The Breakers. Marble House or Rosecliff are also good options. (I haven't been to Rosecliff and may go this summer. This mansion is the most "filmed" - True Lies/The Great Gatsby(1974)/Heaven's Gate/Amistad.) 

If you are into cultural or are of the Jewish faith, Touro Synagogue is the oldest surviving synagogue in the country. (5-10 minute walk from drop off).

If you like sports - the International Tennis Hall of Fame is there. (20-minute walk from drop off point)

The Cliff Walk which runs a total of 3.5 miles is scenic. The easier (flat sidewalk part) is the first mile or so and wraps around the Breakers. Some points literally require rock hopping so that is not for the casual walker. If you want to walk the flat part have them take you to the end of Narragansett Avenue which dead ends at the ocean. Uber/taxi since it is a 45 minute walk from Perrotti Park.

Saint John and Halifax are very easy to do on your own if you are the least bit mobile. We've been to both several times, have never done an excursion, and never wished we had.

Halifax has a harbor-front boardwalk right at the ship, and connects with maritime museums, eateries, breweries, and harbor views. The Citadel, a very old cemetery, botanic gardens, and other attractions are uphill from there.

On our next cruise to Saint John, we will probably use the Pink Bus to take in the circuit beyond where we've walked in the past, including the reversing tides and other sites.

On 4/12/2024 at 8:12 AM, FirstTeacher said:

We also rented a car in Halifax; the rental agency was very close to the dock. In addition to Peggy’s Cove (where we arrived earlier than most of the buses), we visited the public gardens (beautiful), the Titanic Cemetery, and the Nautical Museum (a short walk down the street from the ship). 

in St. John, we went on a private full-day tour with four other passengers and saw much of the amazing coastline of New Brunswick. We also stopped by the bay at 2 separate times in order to see the tide going in and out- pretty impressive.

What’s the traffic like in the area? We’ll be there with Oceania in October and self drive sounds interesting but I’ve never driven on the “wrong” side of the road and my husband is blind so he won’t be driving!

7 hours ago, PoppyVelvet said:

What’s the traffic like in the area? We’ll be there with Oceania in October and self drive sounds interesting but I’ve never driven on the “wrong” side of the road and my husband is blind so he won’t be driving!

Downtown Halifax can be a busy place, but once you’re outside of it (e.g., Peggy’s Cove), it’s no problem. Parking Downtown (e.g., the public gardens or the nautical museum) can be tricky. 

21 minutes ago, FirstTeacher said:

Downtown Halifax can be a busy place, but once you’re outside of it (e.g., Peggy’s Cove), it’s no problem. Parking Downtown (e.g., the public gardens or the nautical museum) can be tricky. 

Thanks. I feel a bit nervous about it so I’ll have to have a think about it before deciding

On 4/27/2024 at 7:33 AM, PoppyVelvet said:

Thanks. I feel a bit nervous about it so I’ll have to have a think about it before deciding

I think I would be very apprehensive about driving an unfamiliar vehicle in an unfamiliar city! Have you considered something like the HOHO bus? You can get of and off, or not, at any of the areas in the route, without having to park or drive.