Dress Code Question

Sorry I have tried to read thru the posts but see a variety of different answers. Just booked our first Seabourn sailing. 
On vacation I don’t like to wear a jacket every night, is a jacket required for dinner (not formal night)?

I of course will be wearing slack and a button down shirt but I see some people saying nice jeans are acceptable and others saying you shouldn’t wear nice jeans. I always try to look decent but it is a vacation so I prefer what we call country club casual. 
We usually also enjoy formal night getting more dressed up, but curious if there are options for dinner if you don’t want to participate?

As long as you follow the dress code you'll be fine (and sounds like you plan to and will have a great time).  There are other options (Colonnade or Sushi) where you don't have dress up on formal night. You'll see a variety of opinions because of how it has changed over time, and also because the dress code is a minimum level and some prefer to be dressed above that.  

Here's what it is from the website:

Evening (after 6pm): Elegant Casual. The following is the nightly dress standard for all dining venues:

Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional.

Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress.

Elegant jeans are welcome in all dining venues. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

As long as you follow the dress code you'll be fine (and sounds like you plan to and will have a great time).  There are other options (Colonnade or Sushi) where you don't have dress up on formal night. You'll see a variety of opinions because of how it has changed over time, and also because the dress code is a minimum level and some prefer to be dressed above that.  

Here's what it is from the website:

Evening (after 6pm): Elegant Casual. The following is the nightly dress standard for all dining venues:

Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional.

Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress.

Elegant jeans are welcome in all dining venues. 

Thank you. We just don’t want to end up putting an employee in an awkward situation if we aren’t dressed properly. Plus there are rules and if we choose to sail with them we want to follow those rules it’s their ship. I just read so many conflicting remarks 

Just now, Salf777 said:

We just don’t want to end up putting an employee in an awkward situation if we aren’t dressed properly.

They are used to policing it and try to be gentle about it.  Our son was with us onboard in October, and one night looked great in blazer, slacks, and collar-less shirt.  He got the "excuse me sir..." from the maitre d' and was able to change quick, but they were nice about it.  

5 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

They are used to policing it and try to be gentle about it.  Our son was with us onboard in October, and one night looked great in blazer, slacks, and collar-less shirt.  He got the "excuse me sir..." from the maitre d' and was able to change quick, but they were nice about it.  

Was this on formal night? My dh was planning on a similar outfit with his jacket.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

Was this on formal night? My dh was planning on a similar outfit with his jacket.  

No, it was a regular night.  If dh is not wanting to wear a collared shirt to dinner (formal or non-formal) he will have a problem.  

Edited by johng75370
  • Thanks 1

Ok so while we are on this subject are like Tommy Bahama button down shirts acceptable? They are very nice but sometimes nice designs and not a “traditional “ button down. Also like the Robert Graham shirts with nice designs that are meant to be worn not tucked in but are very nice

2 minutes ago, Salf777 said:

Ok so while we are on this subject are like Tommy Bahama button down shirts acceptable? They are very nice but sometimes nice designs and not a “traditional “ button down. Also like the Robert Graham shirts with nice designs that are meant to be worn not tucked in but are very nice

Honestly depends on the maitre d a bit. I would say generally if they enforce the rules it is the letter of the rule vs the spirit of it. Meaning that a more casual Tommy Bahama that's not tucked in but IS a collared shirt is almost definitely going to be accepted every time. 

1 hour ago, Archipelago said:

Are polo type knit shirts okay ? A nice polo shirt and slacks with dress shoes ? 

OK, I will try to jump on this grenade.  For men:  technically I think the answer is "no", a polo shirt is not a "collared dress shirt" nor is it generally "elegant casual".

I'd guess on our last Caribbean cruise less than 5% of men were wearing polo shirts other than the first and last night of the cruise.  They weren't being turned away but some definitely did not look "elegant".  "Tommy Bahama"-style collared, untucked button down shirts were fairly common.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Archipelago said:

I would just wear a dress shirt and jacket every night as I have done on Silversea

IMO if you wear a blazer/jacket it will absolve the "sin" of wearing a polo shirt and of course a dress shirt w/o jacket is also fine. Polo shirt is fine at Colonnade and E&O, and frankly you won't be turned away from the Restaurant either if you're comfortable not caring if a few diners snootily choose to be offended. Honestly, most won't care.

• Like 1

If you want to dress very informally, the Colonnade and Earth and Ocean are great options, and the food is usually quite good.

• Like 4

Currently on the Quest for 12 nights. 1 formal night, 11 elegant casual. On formal night 85% of male guests wore jacket & tie, 5% wore a tux, 5% jacket with no tie and 5% a shirt with no jacket or tie. Overall a respectful adherence by the majority, however, no enforcement on the minority. With all due respect is it worth the effort having a formal night when mixed in with 11 wear what you like nights. Smart jeans now accepted on elegant casual nights as stated in the daily herald.

The war is being won by the dress down Friday side. Personally, I wear very smart casual with jacket every evening but accept that is my choice and other passengers have their reasons to wear much more casual attire. Times are a changing. Politeness, respect and hygiene are more important IMHO.

• Like 2

I will be doing a 14 day Alaska Seabourn in July. Because of the itin I was not planning on bringing a jacket. Could I get by with dress pants and shoes, button down shirt and a tie on formal night or should I plan on eating elsewhere?

On 4/21/2024 at 4:17 PM, Northern Bear said:

I will be doing a 14 day Alaska Seabourn in July. Because of the itin I was not planning on bringing a jacket. Could I get by with dress pants and shoes, button down shirt and a tie on formal night or should I plan on eating elsewhere?

I’m not sure they will actually reject you at the entrance to the dining room, but you will be in the small minority.  Earth and Ocean and Colonnade are other options, the thing is, particularly E&O, will be swamped with similar minded passengers.  In the same circumstance with SB in Alaska last year we ended up with room service one night and E&O the other.

You didn’t ask but I’ll add another comment, we were totally shocked by the limited availability of the Restaurant for breakfast and lunch.  It operated only 4 of 14 days for lunch and only 6 of 14 days for breakfast.  We generally do not like buffets and were stunned to be forced there so often.  By way of explanation we were told the SB don’t operate the restaurant on short (7 day) sailings with many ports.  This left a very negative impression with us and we will never again book an itinerary that is also sold in shorter segments.  

• Like 2

On 4/23/2024 at 11:42 AM, jondfk said:

I’m not sure they will actually reject you at the entrance to the dining room, but you will be in the small minority.  Earth and Ocean and Colonnade are other options, the thing is, particularly E&O, will be swamped with similar minded passengers.  In the same circumstance with SB in Alaska last year we ended up with room service one night and E&O the other.

You didn’t ask but I’ll add another comment, we were totally shocked by the limited availability of the Restaurant for breakfast and lunch.  It operated only 4 of 14 days for lunch and only 6 of 14 days for breakfast.  We generally do not like buffets and were stunned to be forced there so often.  By way of explanation we were told the SB don’t operate the restaurant on short (7 day) sailings with many ports.  This left a very negative impression with us and we will never again book an itinerary that is also sold in shorter segments.  

I think most of the regular posters here know how I feel about buffets and the closure of the MDR for breakfast and lunch.  We'll be onboard for 28 days this next summer and it could be a challenge for us.  

On 4/21/2024 at 6:17 PM, Northern Bear said:

What is the point of a tie if you are not wearing a jacket?  It would be better, in my view, if you wore a jacket and not a tie.  I've never liked the look of shirt and tie without a jacket--seems so mid management at work to me.  Just an observation.  I'm sure you can get by with your dress plan.  

45 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I think most of the regular posters here know how I feel about buffets and the closure of the MDR for breakfast and lunch.  We'll be onboard for 28 days this next summer and it could be a challenge for us.  

We too have booked another sailing, on Sojourn over Christmas 2025.  It’s 20 days RT Los Angeles, no chance it can be sold in segments due to the PVSA, so hoping for the same, every day, every meal operation we experienced with you on Ovation.  Hope you have similar luck.

On 4/23/2024 at 5:42 PM, jondfk said:

You didn’t ask but I’ll add another comment, we were totally shocked by the limited availability of the Restaurant for breakfast and lunch.  It operated only 4 of 14 days for lunch and only 6 of 14 days for breakfast.

While I am a fan of The Restaurant being open every day for breakfast and lunch, at least they seem to be keeping their word (on current and recent previous voyage) to have it open on sea days. 

Edited by johng75370

On 4/22/2024 at 1:17 AM, Northern Bear said:

Because of the itin I was not planning on bringing a jacket. Could I get by with dress pants and shoes, button down shirt and a tie

If you don't wear a jacket on formal night, the Restaurant will provide one for you to either wear or drape on the back of your chair!

On 4/14/2024 at 7:26 PM, tv24 said:

If you want to dress very informally, the Colonnade and Earth and Ocean are great options, and the food is usually quite good.

Yeah, on our last cruise on Ovation, for formal night, we just ate at Earth and Ocean so we could be a little more relaxed with how we dressed, and honestly (and of course tastes vary) we tended to prefer Earth and Ocean to The Restaurant anyway.