Penthouse vs. Concierge

1 hour ago, caribdvr said:

We are considering a PH entirely for the extra space (we are friends, not a couple, and the cruise is 18 days).  However, the PH3 is much less than the PH2.  Is being in the front of the Riveria that much worse (where all the PH3s are)?  We will def stay with the concierge level rather than spending an additional $2k for a PH2.

There is usually not a huge difference between PH3 and PH2, so I'm guessing that you are considering a cruise that is part of the upgrade sale (prices on the O website already include the sale discount/upgrade). I'd say "jump at the chance" if it's in your price-zone since the PH3 being part of an upgrade sale is less common (than OV through A-cat), and the non-sale difference between A1 and PH3 is significant.

As for PH3 vs. PH2, the only difference is usually location. If ship movement is not an issue for you then there is little point in booking a PH2.

• Like 2

Thank you. 

I believe you have answered the mystery for me. A1 is $8.3k, A1 $8.8, PH3 $9.5 but PH 2 is $11.7. I could not figure out why there was such a big jump. I guess the sale is doing that. All of the PH3 are “guaranteed” and perhaps that makes a difference.  

11 minutes ago, caribdvr said:

Thank you. 

I believe you have answered the mystery for me. A1 is $8.3k, A1 $8.8, PH3 $9.5 but PH 2 is $11.7. I could not figure out why there was such a big jump. I guess the sale is doing that. All of the PH3 are “guaranteed” and perhaps that makes a difference.  

There is no discount on O for guaranteed vs. chosen cabin. "Worst" case is you get upgraded again 🙂 Book it! If you have buyer's remorse before the sale ends you can get the A1 (or 2 or 3 or B4, etc.)

• Like 1

Thank you. 

@caribdvr The topic of Guaranteed Staterooms has been a topic over and over again.  I personally booked two Guaranteed PH3's for my cruise on the Riviera for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise November 2023.  The results of a Guaranteed Cabin vary as those many comments on the topic clearly showed.  

I purchased the two guaranteed PH3's because that sailing had an four category upgrade sale so it was the best value.  Not all four category upgrade sail include the PH category.  There is no financial benefit taking any guaranteed stateroom like other cruise brands.  If not for the upgrade, I would not have done so.  Long story short, one of the PH3 Guarantee's cleared about five days before the cruise.  The other one which was mine, I upgraded on my own again long story.

With pricing that looks confusing, always call Oceania and ask.  Sometimes it is simply not posting the accurate sale price, other times there is a simple explanation.  Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you. 

The question is were you going to book an A1? I personally would just get a regular balcony, or at the least a lower level A. That's a little over $1000 a day for that room. What is the itinerary? 

3 hours ago, ORV said:

we were having dinner with the GM & OCA/FCC

No joke. I would far rather have dinner with the food and beverage person. That's where my interests lie and I'd love to see how it's managed at that level.

Only $700 delta between A-1 and PH-3, in my household, that is called a NO BRAINER.  Happy Wife, Happy Life ❤️😇👍 For a room 50% larger, a Walk In Closet, exceptional service, a chance to interact with some very special Butler’s and all the benefits, and early Specialty dinner reservations, that Oceania 800 number is on Speed Dial. 

Again, my house and our short story. I was on the phone to our Financial Guy and an offer from O popped into my In Box. Of course I can multi task 😇, and opened it. I immediately laughed because it was from O offering to upgrade us from a PH to an Owners Suite for our cruise on Regatta in Alaska. I hung up on the financial guy, called to my wife about this great joke we just got from Oceania. For only $2000 per person we could move up to an Owners Suite. Her reply, Why aren’t you on the phone calling Oceania!  I got my marching orders 😇👍

Moral of the story, your DW, Partner, Significant Other or whomever will appreciate you even more with that magnanimous upgrade action. JMHO. 

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

The question is were you going to book an A1? I personally would just get a regular balcony, or at the least a lower level A. That's a little over $1000 a day for that room. What is the itinerary? 

The whole purpose of looking at a PH instead of the concierge is the extra space.  It is the Iconic Asian Capitals

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Only $700 delta between A-1 and PH-3, in my household, that is called a NO BRAINER.  Happy Wife, Happy Life ❤️😇👍 For a room 50% larger, a Walk In Closet, exceptional service, a chance to interact with some very special Butler’s and all the benefits, and early Specialty dinner reservations, that Oceania 800 number is on Speed Dial. 

Again, my house and our short story. I was on the phone to our Financial Guy and an offer from O popped into my In Box. Of course I can multi task 😇, and opened it. I immediately laughed because it was from O offering to upgrade us from a PH to an Owners Suite for our cruise on Regatta in Alaska. I hung up on the financial guy, called to my wife about this great joke we just got from Oceania. For only $2000 per person we could move up to an Owners Suite. Her reply, Why aren’t you on the phone calling Oceania!  I got my marching orders 😇👍

Moral of the story, your DW, Partner, Significant Other or whomever will appreciate you even more with that magnanimous upgrade action. JMHO. 

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

haha agreed, which is why I posted the question, which basically meant, what's wrong with the PH3 if it's only $700 more and the PH2 is an additional $2000?  But I'm hearing, basically nothing.  Once again, thanks to all

6 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

And do keep in mind that Riviera--unlike Marina and the 4 smaller R-class ships--has the larger therapy spa "pool". Having been on both Sirena and Riviera, the spa pool on the later is not an ordinary circular spa pool/tub, but a T-shaped therapy pool. I found it perfect between 5-7 pm on days we'd walked a lot (e.g., climbed 10,000 steps to get to the top of the St. John's Fortress in Kotor, Montenengro!). Spend an hour or so there, esp. if wife was getting dressed, doing her thing to get ready for dinner at say 7:30 or 8 pm. Weirdly, seemed I was the only one there at that time those days. Suspect it was crowded on a sea day, esp. in the sunny afternoon.

So to understand, the therapy spa ‘pool’ on the. Ariana is basically a hot tub?  Maybe not temp, but size? Thank you for mentioning this, and for answering my question. I appreciate it. 

11 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Not my guy - an undergrad degree in accounting and MBA finance. WE (not just he) would be putting that extra money away for something else.

This thread finally cleared up the pricing questions I had around the 4 category upgrade sale. It’s very convoluting to someone not familiar with how it’s ‘played’. One would think initially that you could book any cabin category ‘x’,  and potentially move UP to four categories at the cabin ‘x’ pricing. 

I requested a quote from our TA and we played phone tag yesterday as I was mostly not available. She stated in her email that the real ‘bargain’ is exactly what is being discussed here. That said, it may be at a higher cost than we or others want to elevate to. But it does have my attention now that I understand it.

I sincerely appreciate OP starting this thread, so thank you. 

One question. Do PH receive an additional number of specialty restaurant reservations?  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

One question. Do PH receive an additional number of specialty restaurant reservations?  

It's complicated.

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005477653-How-many-dining-reservations-am-I-allowed-in-each-specialty-restaurant

And as you know, this only applies to advance online reservations.  Anyone can ask for more when onboard.

Edited by 1985rz1

@1985rz1

The simple answer is NO but I can assure you, your Butler will get you more reservations just because “they can” 🙏, they have friends in the Specialties.  If there is availability that night, they can accommodate your request if you can be flexible on time and sharing tables.  If you want it to be ONLY Two Tops, it is a bigger challenge. My experience has been that we eat 50-60% of our dinners in a Specialty restaurant on any cruise and that is without our Butler serving us dinner in our room. Your Butler can take good care of you 🤪.  
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@clo

Fully understood. Years ago I would have said the same thing but as we grow more “mature” and we have fewer cruises left to be taken, then each must be memorable. OMG, I even paid for Biz Class 🤪💰🤬, ONCE!  
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 4

@caribdvr

So you do understand, the PH3 was the top of the Up to 4 Level Upgrade Sale and the PH1 and 2 were Full Price and not available. All the Sales are availability driven and a butts in seats game.  We love the PH’s, 1,2, and 3.  My dream sale would be when that Upgrade Sale hits, how do I get an Oceania Suite because that is a Big Jump 💰. Just dreaming and we do enjoy O. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@clo

Fully understood. Years ago I would have said the same thing but as we grow more “mature” and we have fewer cruises left to be taken, then each must be memorable. OMG, I even paid for Biz Class 🤪💰🤬, ONCE!  
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

We made the mistake - or were brilliant enough - a few years ago to meet with a financial planner. One of the things we discussed was senior living places. And not the crumb-bum ones. One we especially like is $7k+ a month and that's if you don't need ANY care!!!! And on-topic we're not sure how much more 'foreign travel we really want to do. I've been to six continents and Bob's been to seven. But we'll see. xoc

@MEFIowa

Not MOON OVER Miami? OK, a “Reach”. Have not convinced them to stop smoking. Really wonderful people and my DW loves taking classes from him when the itinerary permits. We met their son and daughter a few years back, son was off to flight school and daughter on the modeling runways in Europe and NYC for all the major Design Houses. Delightful people to have dinner with too when available. 
he did say they were going to be doing some of the Asian itineraries next Spring and will also be on board for half of the 2025 Alaska Season. I am looking forward to seeing some of his Alaskan paintings.
Mauibabes

7 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@caribdvr

So you do understand, the PH3 was the top of the Up to 4 Level Upgrade Sale and the PH1 and 2 were Full Price and not available. All the Sales are availability driven and a butts in seats game.  We love the PH’s, 1,2, and 3.  My dream sale would be when that Upgrade Sale hits, how do I get an Oceania Suite because that is a Big Jump 💰. Just dreaming and we do enjoy O. 
Mauibabes

I do now!  Thanks

it was perplexing before. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@1985rz1

The simple answer is NO but I can assure you, your Butler will get you more reservations just because “they can” 🙏, they have friends in the Specialties.  If there is availability that night, they can accommodate your request if you can be flexible on time and sharing tables.  If you want it to be ONLY Two Tops, it is a bigger challenge. My experience has been that we eat 50-60% of our dinners in a Specialty restaurant on any cruise and that is without our Butler serving us dinner in our room. Your Butler can take good care of you 🤪.  
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Huh?  Did you mean to quote me.  I was simply providing the reservation list which shows that in some cases PH's get more advance reservations than standard staterooms depending on ship and length of cruise.  So I don't understsnd the "no."

Thank you both. So basically, all is the same in terms of numbers of reservations in specialty restaurants PH and below.   However, your butler (which we have never had…we never felt we would see the added value for the cost on some lines, tbh) can be helpful. 

This thread has given me a lot to think about…..

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you both. So basically, all is the same in terms of numbers of reservations in specialty restaurants PH and below.   However, your butler (which we have never had…we never felt we would see the added value for the cost on some lines, tbh) can be helpful. 

There are cruises (>=18days) where PH get more reservations than A-cat and below on the larger ships. On the smaller ships PH and A-cat get the same, but more than B-cat and below >=8 day cruises. It sounds like those don't describe the cruise you're interested in, but I just want to make it clear to other readers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

@Vineyard View Your statement above seems to be accurate.  It was a point of confusion to me also.  With the understanding I have only one Oceania Cruise under my belt, I am no expert.  However, I am comfortable with my personal experience.  My strategy was to not book the first night in a Specialty Restaurant using my four pre-cruise reservations in other strategic days.  Once on the ship, I went to the specific restaurant and asked for that night and was easily granted a very nice time slot. I learned that approach right here on Cruise Critic.com.

Eating Dinner in the Room.  Some like it, some don't.  I don't, so I much preferred the restaurant. Now the next approach to gaining more specialty dining reservations is engaging with the Main Person in the restaurant as you are eating there. That has worked for me and my party.  Remember, on the day you want another reservation, approach the restaurant and or guest service for a reservation that night (Day of).  On my 10 days cruise, we had 9 Specialty dining nights.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

19 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... On my 10 days cruise, we had 9 Specialty dining nights. 

Though I'm not sure you're giving an adequate presentation for others to make sense of your specific situation on that cruise.

You HAD A VERY HIGH-LEVEL cabin, far above PH. Weren't you the Vista Suite (VS) 12001? You were kind enough to give me a tour of your VS. And how you got it was out of the norm. I wonder how many know that story?

And weren't you eating with the other couple, so tables for 4 most nights? How many of your 9 were tables for just 2? AND what times were you eating at? We could get the early times for our A3 cabin, but not for our B3.

For sadly, as we learned at the B versus A levels on our B2B that included your 10-night cruise, O wouldn't allow us to book from the B cabin at times we wanted in advance. And once they changed our 9 pm reservation to 8:30, which seemed to be the actual last time for any couples to arrive. The places emptying out by 9 pm. All but deserted by 9:30.

So begs the question, HOW did you keep getting reservations when we were denied them in advance? And none available the day of. WE tried to go to the desk to get better times. Nothing was available for us on the 4 nights we had our reservations. All crummy late times.

• Thanks 1