Hotel suggestion for Southampton

Plan to stay in Southampton 1 night pre in September - and want to be centrally located so we can see what there is to see - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  We sail out of Mayflower Terminal and then come back into Ocean and will need to spend another night before the next cruise - opinions and suggestions welcomed.  Thank you - stay well and safe

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Those are almost-all of the Southampton city centre hotels.

Most are modern, some are historic.

Some expensive, some not.

Most full-service, some with just basic facilities.

But you get what you pay for, and there are none that I would caution against - except the Mercure Dolphin whose future in uncertain.

See the little thumbnail map at the bottom of that page.

With luggage you'd need a short taxi hop to Mayflower terminal (red A on that map), so any hotel is as convenient as any another. 

Ocean terminal (red D) is walkable even with luggage from hotels blue 8 & 15, mebbe 4, 5, 6, 7 & 14..

Most convenient hotels for the city centre, old town, waterfront, pubs, restaurants etc are

Blue 4 Premier Inn West Quay , Premier Inns are the UK's biggest & best budget chain, the West Quay one is popular with cruisers

Blue 5 Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Ave is particularly popular with those sailing out of City cruise terminal, which is directly behind the hotel. Beware - the city's two Holiday Inn Express's are way out on the city limits, very inconvenient.,

Blue 6 Leonardo Royal. Don't confuse with the Leonardo, which is a little inconvenient and in the centre of a traffic gyratory.

Blue  7, Pig in the Wall is a quirky boutique hotel, set in the old city's wall.

Blue 8 Ennios is another boutique, in a former brick warehouse over the owner's Italian restaurant of the same name.

Blue 16 Moxy, next door to P.I.West Quay, is a quirky recently-opened Marriott brand, rapidly becoming popular with cruisers.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 3

We've stayed at Ennio's and Premier Inn West Quay and found both to be fine. Ennios was convenient to shopping, restaurants and an easy walk from where we returned our rental car to Hertz. Premier Inn's add-on meal package worked well for just settling down in one spot after a long day of travel.

We stayed at Premier Inn, as well.  Nothing fancy, but clean and convenient for shopping, restaurants and cruise port.  We were just there for one night.  We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel.  It was very good.  Others traveling with us ate at nearby restaurants and enjoyed their meals.  Would recommend the hotel with one problem.  They do not have a toll free line so  it's hard to contact them.

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 3:59 AM, John Bull said:

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Those are almost-all of the Southampton city centre hotels.

Most are modern, some are historic.

Some expensive, some not.

Most full-service, some with just basic facilities.

But you get what you pay for, and there are none that I would caution against - except the Mercure Dolphin whose future in uncertain.

See the little thumbnail map at the bottom of that page.

With luggage you'd need a short taxi hop to Mayflower terminal (red A on that map), so any hotel is as convenient as any another. 

Ocean terminal (red D) is walkable even with luggage from hotels blue 8 & 15, mebbe 4, 5, 6, 7 & 14..

Most convenient hotels for the city centre, old town, waterfront, pubs, restaurants etc are

Blue 4 Premier Inn West Quay , Premier Inns are the UK's biggest & best budget chain, the West Quay one is popular with cruisers

Blue 5 Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Ave is particularly popular with those sailing out of City cruise terminal, which is directly behind the hotel. Beware - the city's two Holiday Inn Express's are way out on the city limits, very inconvenient.,

Blue 6 Leonardo Royal. Don't confuse with the Leonardo, which is a little inconvenient and in the centre of a traffic gyratory.

Blue  7, Pig in the Wall is a quirky boutique hotel, set in the old city's wall.

Blue 8 Ennios is another boutique, in a former brick warehouse over the owner's Italian restaurant of the same name.

Blue 16 Moxy, next door to P.I.West Quay, is a quirky recently-opened Marriott brand, rapidly becoming popular with cruisers.

JB 🙂

Thank you for suggestions.  We booked Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker) for end of May.

How do we know if our cruise is out the back of hotel, City Cruise Terminal? 

Were sailing on Princess Sky.

Also taking National Express from Heathrow to Southampton.  Is that Holiday Inn anywhere near where NE drops off?  Thanks for all your help! 

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

4 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

How do we know if our cruise is out the back of hotel, City Cruise Terminal?

Here's a provisional list: https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/ - the berth numbers for each terminal are listed near the top of the page.

• Thanks 1

The port website is

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Depending on your sailing date, Sky Princess sails out of

- Ocean Cruise Terminal (berth 46), about a 15 minute level walk or a short taxi hop from H.I. (BTW ship mooring bollards, which are usually painted black, are painted yellow at the berth opposite, berth 44, which you'll see from the other side of the ship - it's to denote the berth from which Titanic sailed)

- or Queen Elizabeth 11 Cruise Terminal (berth 38/39). This is beyond Ocean Terminal, about 1 1/2 miles mile from H.I. It's deep in the docks and only a painted line separates the sidewalk from heavy docks traffic so a short taxi ride is strongly recommended - book a taxi the evening before, H.I. staff can help. You get an unobstructed view all the way up (and perhaps down) Southampton Water

In the morning you should be able to see ships in both berths from upper floors at the front of H.I.

Southampton coach station is a simple 10 - 15 minute level walk, all on sidewalks & with traffic lights to assist pedestrians across the one major road. Or take a taxi to H.I from the rank at the coach station - it's a small rank but taxis swing by there frequently.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5kb8L2yWqVbXbQ656

JB 🙂

• Thanks 2

John Bull,

A big belated thank you for this post and all your others which have helped me greatly in planning my British Isles cruise.  So far you have assisted me with hotel (Holiday Inn), car service (Blackberry) and now port info.  Your detailed list of travel options from Southampton - Portsmouth will help me plan a perfect day there for my husband's bucket list.

Regards,

Marion