Switching from 3 person room booking to 2 rooms

MNSails

I'm currently booked on a November cruise with 2 other adults, on a "3rd guest free" fare.  I was listed as the first guest on the Invoice. The 3rd guest breakdown came to about $400 for taxes, fees, and gratuities. 

I'd like to move to my own cabin, leaving guests 2 and 3 in the original room.  Because we are ahead of the final payment and guests 2 and 3 would remain in the same room, I thought the total for that original room would just be reduced by the $400 extra we paid. Our TA is treating it as a new booking so the first room is only $100 or so less than the original booking.  

Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm looking for here? If I, as "guest 1" on the original room don't check in for that room but do check in for the additional room I'm getting, would we receive a refund of the full $400?  Or am I stuck with a "cancel and rebook" situation because I was listed as "guest 1"?

I believe that the whole third guest free thing is based on 3 in a room, not 3 on a mulit-cabin reservation.  If I am correct  and you booked a NRD fare then yes you are stuck with it.  

• Like 3

I agree with @Mr. Click and your TA. By taking your name off the original booking, you are creating two new bookings.  Additionally, the individual sailing solo would be subject to the solo passenger charges, which depending on ship and room, could result in paying almost double for the solo room.  

I do not believe you can be on two reservations at the same time so not sure how you would show up for one and be a no show for another.  

Unfortunately, I be the short answer is  NO - there is no way to do what you are trying to do.

If the fare for the first cabin was 3rd person free, then the fare for the first two was $1200 and the TA divided it by 3.  If third person moves, the fare stays the same for that cabin, the third person owes the $400 back to the other two, plus the fare for the new solo cabin.  EM

OP, you are confusing the actual cost of the first cabin ($1200 total for the double passenger occupancy rate plus the third "free" passenger) vs the equal division of the $1200 among three adults (may or may not be related).

It appears the actual cost for the first two passengers was $1,100 with the third passenger added in for $100 to cover port fees and taxes. Unless the fare you booked actually stated the daily service charge was included, it probably isn't and all of you will be charged daily to your on board account.

Remove the third passenger (doesn't matter if listed as number one, two or three) means the original fare is cancelled, and the cabin rate for a double occupancy cabin applies (no more "free" third passenger).

9 hours ago, Homosassa said:

no matter what fare churning game you may devise to receive $400 back, it isn't going to fly.

but if $400 is for taxes and grats, shoudn't they receive it back if the person is a no show?

@OP, what if you and guest #2 remain in the original cabin, and you move guest #3 into a different cabin? Then, when onboard, you switch with guest #3?

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but if $400 is for taxes and grats, shoudn't they receive it back if the person is a no show?

That's my thought. The full fare of 2300 was allocated already between the first two guests on the Celebrity invoice.  I just want to remove the taxes and gratuities for the third guest so it's the same as if we had done a double occupancy room to begin with. 

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what if you and guest #2 remain in the original cabin, and you move guest #3 into a different cabin? Then, when onboard, you switch with guest #3?

That might work. I'm curious if I could just switch the name but keep the extras in the second solo room - for example, I was planning on adding wifi and drinks for my solo room, but the others are traveling as cruise only.  I'd like to avoid any complications with that, so getting it sorted out before final payment would be ideal.

@MNSails These are all wonderful ideas that you should be discussing with your Travel Agent since you mentioned earlier that you booked through one.  Have her/him earn your business by helping you through all the options.  

Speaking of options, there is one that I can't recall being mentioned -- Keep your original booking, drop your two guest off of it and book them into a separate cabin.  You get your room, they get theirs. 

• Like 2