Gluten Free in the Main Dining Room

So I have a weird question about GF dining (for my mom). I know you talk to the maitre'd the night before and he'll give you the next night's menu to choose from. What happens if you, say, decide to go to the buffet instead, or your excursion is so long you decide to just grab room service? Is a meal going to waste? Do the kitchen staff want to kill you?

Do you need to inform someone ahead of time that you aren't coming? Or do you have to choose knowing you'll definitely go to the dining room the next night?

• Like 1

I have been gluten free and now stay with Princess as they do such a great job with the special accommodations for meals in the main dining room.  If I have a specialty dining booked the night before then I will let them know.  Last time I cruised, the head waiter even found me in the special dining room to make sure I could choose the meal for the next night.  Amazing service!

I believe that they have a number of gluten free passengers so I doubt that food will go to waste. Also they will be preparing it once you confirm the order on arrival in the dining room, so if you miss a night I would not worry.  However, out of courtesy I would not make a habit of it.

I am on the new Sun May 11th and it will be interesting to see how things are handled in the American diner and in the station format of the buffet. I have reservations in the 7th floor flex dining (booked on app) for most of the 2 weeks.

• Like 3

Although we will be on the Coral, I have looked at several menus posted by the Live people.  I’m finding I can eat GF with many of the starters/appetizers.  And many sound really good.  I have asked on these boards if I could just eat these for dinner and skip the entree.  But it sounds like if I have to order GF meals the night before I might have to pick an entree instead?  Or will I get the full menu and then be able to pick?  But I have to do everything the day before?

Will only address the buffets.   Be sure to ask.  If you do not getan immediate and clear response ask another staff member.  Have had servers answer who did not really know if GF.

Dining companions usually pre-ordered dinner,  but a couple times waiters suggested a choice off the regular menu. 

• Like 1

The kitchen is preparing thousands of dinners every night. They won’t miss you if you decide to eat elsewhere on a whim.  In all likelihood, your meal will not be prepared until you arrive and sit down.  Most of the ingredients are interchangeable and will be used elsewhere and turn up on someone else’s plate. You need not feel guilty at all. There is much more general food waste on a cruise than on land because it’s already been paid for.  People will order multiple dishes and try only a bite. Some will leave heaping piles of untouched food on plates in the buffet because their eyes were bigger than their stomachs.  Avoid that and you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Ordering the night before helps them to modify the ingredients where possible so that you can enjoy the same dish whether appetizer or main.  Desserts are more limited but I have had them make an apple crisp as a special request.  If you don't order before, don't worry as they can still often offer at least one dish without the sauce etc.  They will bring gluten free bread if you want in the dining room and the buffet will have it for breakfast, but sometimes tricky to locate it.  On boarding days for lunch, I can have the salmon and at night steak is safe.

I agree that the buffet is trickier but you can ask for the chef to come out if the staff don't know, but I normally stick to salads and the carving station for lunch and always eat dinner in the main dining.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mynexttrip said:

Ordering the night before helps them to modify the ingredients where possible so that you can enjoy the same dish whether appetizer or main.  Desserts are more limited but I have had them make an apple crisp as a special request.  If you don't order before, don't worry as they can still often offer at least one dish without the sauce etc.  They will bring gluten free bread if you want in the dining room and the buffet will have it for breakfast, but sometimes tricky to locate it.  On boarding days for lunch, I can have the salmon and at night steak is safe.

I agree that the buffet is trickier but you can ask for the chef to come out if the staff don't know, but I normally stick to salads and the carving station for lunch and always eat dinner in the main dining.

Yay!  GF bread!  That makes me happy.  Thanks everyone 

On 4/15/2024 at 3:39 PM, mynexttrip said:

I am on the new Sun May 11th and it will be interesting to see how things are handled in the American diner and in the station format of the buffet. I have reservations in the 7th floor flex dining (booked on app) for most of the 2 weeks.

If you have time please post and share how they handle food allergies in the American Diner. I am allergic to dairy and I would love to be able to order some thing when I arrive instead of the day before. It’s hard to always guess what I will be craving the next day. 

On 4/16/2024 at 11:48 AM, CPs4591 said:

Although we will be on the Coral, I have looked at several menus posted by the Live people.  I’m finding I can eat GF with many of the starters/appetizers.  And many sound really good.  I have asked on these boards if I could just eat these for dinner and skip the entree.  But it sounds like if I have to order GF meals the night before I might have to pick an entree instead?  Or will I get the full menu and then be able to pick?  But I have to do everything the day before?

You can order appetizers if that’s all you want. You do not have to order an entrée. I have a dairy allergy and they have me place my order the night before. You will see the whole menu and they will let you choose what you want. People sitting near me always want to see the menu and they usually end up passing it around. 😊

• Like 2

Their gluten free bread tastes like sawdust.  You can find some pretty good gluten free pastries at the International Cafe and Buffet.  They did have gluten free pasta available in the main dining room.

• Like 1

A few thought from a celiac cruiser.   They do a great job in the MDR and speciality restaurants.  If you are in a ship with a Gigi’s or Alfredo’s they have a reasonably good pizza.  Be very,very careful in the buffet. I have been gluten poisoned (quite badly) in the buffet, and that is after seeking out a “tall hat”chef and being give the “what’s safe tour”.

I have had different GF breads on Princess over the years…some better than others.   For me it works best when well toasted ( not just warmed up as they seem to want to do.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

A few thought from a celiac cruiser.   They do a great job in the MDR and speciality restaurants.  If you are in a ship with a Gigi’s or Alfredo’s they have a reasonably good pizza.  Be very,very careful in the buffet. I have been gluten poisoned (quite badly) in the buffet, and that is after seeking out a “tall hat”chef and being give the “what’s safe tour”.

I have had different GF breads on Princess over the years…some better than others.   For me it works best when well toasted ( not just warmed up as they seem to want to do.

Thanks to both you and Cruise Feen for the great info!  Eases my mind.  LawDog, my heart goes out to you as someone who has celiac.  I do not have celiac but have other autoimmune diseases and am NCGS and eating it adversely impacts me.  My docs have me off it.  So feel for you because you have to worry so much more about cross contamination even a grain of sand portion.   But I am also glad to hear that I can get GF pastry, pasta and pizza!  Thank you both so much for brightening my day!  

4 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

Thanks to both you and Cruise Feen for the great info!  Eases my mind.  LawDog, my heart goes out to you as someone who has celiac.  I do not have celiac but have other autoimmune diseases and am NCGS and eating it adversely impacts me.  My docs have me off it.  So feel for you because you have to worry so much more about cross contamination even a grain of sand portion.   But I am also glad to hear that I can get GF pastry, pasta and pizza!  Thank you both so much for brightening my day!  

Even though not on the menu, GF pasta available every night in the MDR.   Always my fall back option if nothing else appeals to me.  No worries for me about being Celiac……..it forces me to think before eating and eat healthy 😄

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

Even though not on the menu, GF pasta available every night in the MDR.   Always my fall back option if nothing else appeals to me.  No worries for me about being Celiac……..it forces me to think before eating and eat healthy 😄

Me too, I am now GF, mostly DF and 95% sugar free.  Def has me eating healthy, I look at stuff now and instead of thinking I want it, will be more like yuck, I’ll have some fruit instead.  I think the cruise will be easier than I thought!  I def feel way better since my docs pointed me this way.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, LawDog61 said:

Oh, that’s terrible. Cross-contamination? So far I have been lucky with my dairy allergy. Of course, we are always safer in the MDR or at Gigi’s/Alfredos. They make pretty good cheese free pizza.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

It is not enough to have a chef tell you what's safe in the buffet. Nothing that has been sitting out in the buffet is safe even if it was safe when it came out of the kitchen. Passengers move serving utensils from one dish to another causing cross contamination. If you are sensitive enough to something that cross contamination is an issue, then ask the chef to serve you a plate directly from the kitchen - don't take anything from the buffet yourself.

My SIL had wonderful GF pastries for breakfast every morning. Each morning, they brought her a tray of several different GF pastries to choose from. However, this was the suite breakfast in Sabatini's - I wouldn't expect the same service elsewhere.

• Like 1

I will certainly post on my experience on the Sun, where the buffet is served by staff so potentially less chance of contamination.  I am gluten intolerant so I certainly feel the affects if something is not actually GF.  I plan to eat one night in the American buffet and that will be interesting as it is a set menu. I am lucky in that I can take a gluten digestive enzyme on rare occasion to enjoy a cheat dish - I just can't do it everyday.

I actually don't like the new recipe for the GF pastries as it is corn flour based and I find it too oily.  It's okay, as trying to stay away from carbs these days.

Our cruise is May 11 to 25 and we stay in Athens for 3 days so I will likely not post until I am back.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Oh, that’s terrible. Cross-contamination? So far I have been lucky with my dairy allergy. Of course, we are always safer in the MDR or at Gigi’s/Alfredos. They make pretty good cheese free pizza.  

Does this cheese free pizza show up on the menu or do I have to ask for it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Does this cheese free pizza show up on the menu or do I have to ask for it?

You have to ask for it. Just let them know that you have either an allergy or intolerance and let them know what you want on your pizza.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1