Princess upgrades

4 minutes ago, Jean C said:

So you're the culprits  😉  -

Screenshot_20240421-163632_Samsung Internet.jpg

Couldn't believe it when I first came across this 'trend' (some people were promoting it as a hack).

a) Very unhygenic

b) A lot of effort to wrestle off the beds and maneuver through the balcony doors

c) They'd get very damp in the sea air

d) Highly likely to p-off the poor cabin steward

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phoenixx said:

Had 2 balcony chairs on my January cruise.

The chair I was referring to was the tub chair that used to be inside the cabin, not the deckchairs on the balcony. Princess removed the tub chairs in 2018 or 2019 I think. There was a fair amount of outrage at the time. It makes it difficult if you want to have breakfast in your cabin as one person now has to sit on the bed since there is only a desk chair. Also it's hard for some older people, or those who have back problems, where sitting on the bed is too uncomfortable. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The chair I was referring to was the tub chair that used to be inside the cabin, not the deckchairs on the balcony. Princess removed the tub chairs in 2018 or 2019 I think. There was a fair amount of outrage at the time. It makes it difficult if you want to have breakfast in your cabin as one person now has to sit on the bed since there is only a desk chair. Also it's hard for some older people, or those who have back problems, where sitting on the bed is too uncomfortable. 

We would never put a chair in the tub as the upholstery would be ruined.

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Couldn't believe it when I first came across this 'trend' (some people were promoting it as a hack).

a) Very unhygenic

b) A lot of effort to wrestle off the beds and maneuver through the balcony doors

Me too. I won't even sit on the balcony chairs until I've draped a pool towel over them. I hate to think what grot the mattress picks up if dragged out to the balcony 🥴

• Like 4

I think I read a post a while back that Princess removed the tub chairs because an American passenger tripped over one in the cabin. Seriously? Whatever happened to look where you're going? The cabins aren't all THAT compact and I'm pretty sure the tub wouldn't have leapt out and deliberately put out a leg to trip up the passenger.🥴

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

I think I read a post a while back that Princess removed the tub chairs because an American passenger tripped over one in the cabin. Seriously? Whatever happened to look where you're going? The cabins aren't all THAT compact and I'm pretty sure the tub wouldn't have leapt out and deliberately put out a leg to trip up the passenger.🥴

Yes, I've heard that too. I'm not sure if it's true though. The chair was usually placed near the window so not easy to trip over. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

They probably tripped over their own feet, or tongue.

and threatened to sue Princess. Litigation seems to be a very popular pastime with some people.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

and threatened to sue Princess. Litigation seems to be a very popular pastime with some people.

Ain't that the truth?! The motto seems to be 'Don't hesitate, litigate'☹️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ceeceeDee said:

Ain't that the truth?! The motto seems to be 'Don't hesitate, litigate'☹️

And the lawyers gleefully rub their hands together 💰 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

a) Very unhygenic

e) Flammable

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oh sorry, I misread your post 😬 

• Haha 1

Hi All.  We are two days away from an Alaska cruise on 

Grand Princess.

I pre-selected my standard balcony location to suit us.

Yesterday we got the bid upgrade email offering the following

Premium Balcony $69pp AUD

Mini-Suite - $168pp AUD

Club Class Mini - $444 pp AUD

Not interested in Premium Balcony because I don’t think there is much difference from a standard

Mini-suite  appeals for the extra space and sofa bed and bigger balcony but I don’t want to risk bidding because I believe there are obstructed minis on the Grand and I don’t want to risk an obstructed view in Alaska.

The Club Class sounds like an appealing splurge but the other party is in an obstructed oceanview (they haven’t been given the option to bid) so that would be unfair.

Would appreciate your input

Edited by aussielozzie18

Hi, if the club class minis are in locations you're happy with, then go for it. You can always invite your obstructed ocean view friends to hang out with you in your cabin at times. I wouldn't feel "guilty", for want of a better word, you should do what's best for you.

While you're not wanting to upset your friends by thinking the situation may seem unfair to them, they could be rubbing their hands with glee at the cheaper overall price they paid for the same cruise.

Chances are that for many of the scenic parts of the cruise you could all be up on the top deck anyway.

Just do it 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Your friends won't be able to join you in the Club Class dining area. If you want to dine with them you would have to join them in the regular sections of the MDRs.

So either take the risk and go for the regular minisuite upgrade or don't bother bidding. Check if/what minisuites are still available to book - if none of those are obstructed the risk might be less.

• Thanks 1

Not sure where the obstructed minis are.  Have stayed on aloha twice in minis and they are uncovered balconies but not obstructed.  I would avoid the very back as the noise when anchoring/ arriving was terrible.  I also avoided the dolphin mini suites as they are above one of the performance spaces and at the very back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Hi All.  We are two days away from an Alaska cruise on 

Grand Princess.

I pre-selected my standard balcony location to suit us.

Yesterday we got the bid upgrade email offering the following

Premium Balcony $69pp AUD

Mini-Suite - $168pp AUD

Club Class Mini - $444 pp AUD

Not interested in Premium Balcony because I don’t think there is much difference from a standard

Mini-suite  appeals for the extra space and sofa bed and bigger balcony but I don’t want to risk bidding because I believe there are obstructed minis on the Grand and I don’t want to risk an obstructed view in Alaska.

The Club Class sounds like an appealing splurge but the other party is in an obstructed oceanview (they haven’t been given the option to bid) so that would be unfair.

Would appreciate your input

Whenever we have a bigger cabin than friends we are travelling with, it means the gatherings, or parties happen in our cabin. If they have the bigger cabin, we go there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1