Beware - Nexus Revoked!!

dawnvip

I have been a Nexus participant since the program started, so was very surprised to receive a notification last week that my Nexus has been revoked!!

The notification only says that I "no longer meet the requirements of the program", which isn't much help at all. Seemed very strange to me because I've never been arrested, no crimimal convictions, no seizures or detentions, nothing that would make me ineligible.

I originally thought it must be a case of mistaken identity. Some serious digging and calls to Immigration Lawyers for help has led to the conclusion that my (adult) daughter is the reason. Turns out she was denied entry and had her Nexus revoked several months ago for having perscription narcotics in her vehicle that were not hers (and not declared). My husband and I are now guilty by association in the eyes of the Trusted Traveller Program. 😥

All of our kids use our address as their "permanent" address because they all seem to move on a regular basis, have had poor landlords withholding mail, etc.  I had no idea that this seemingly simple and convenient use of our home address would lead to our revocation of Nexus. It also begs the question, how far this reasoning would extend? What if I had a basement suite and the tenant lost their Nexus? Still guilty by association?

I would never have thought of that but it makes sense with all having the same address.  I know Nexus can be very strict.  Sorry this has happened to you but it is a good reminder to all. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, deepcman said:

Sounds like your daughter has bigger issues than you loosing you Nexus. 

The perscription was her partner's, who also drives her car. She lost her Nexus and has to apply for a waiver if she wants to enter the US again but no charges laid. The typical millenial lacidaisical attitude with no thought for consequenses. I always ensure my car is completely empty before heading across the border!

Edited by dawnvip
spelling
  • Like 1

Since we first received our Nexus cards, we were aware that all family members (immediate only I believe) could do something that could result in us having our cards revoked if they were found or caught doing something that was against Nexus rules. 

This is in the fine print somewhere.

Seemingly my brother could falsely declare goods either driving or flying be pulled into secondary, have the false declaration exposed, and lose not only his Nexus, but cause the loss of ours as well.

We had this discussion with my brothers when we first signed up.

I personally don't think that this has anything to do with your kids using your address.  I think that "they" know who you are and who is family.

This is very interesting, thanks for posting. We've been NEXUS members since program inception, and were not aware of this.  It seems that if a close relative is  a NEXUS card holder and commits an offense, we could lose our status as well. What if the family member was not a NEXUS card holder? Could their transgression also result in our losing ours?  We are the only members of a large family who even know what NEXUS is, let alone are members.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for sharing.

I do understand the reason though.  Nexus is a trusted traveler program in which you are deemed very low risk.  Allowing your children to use your home address as a permanent address when in fact it isn't is a misrepresentation.  I understand how you may find it simple and convenient.  I also understand how authorities would find it simple and convenient for your children to rent a mail box.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Thanks for sharing.

I do understand the reason though.  Nexus is a trusted traveler program in which you are deemed very low risk.  Allowing your children to use your home address as a permanent address when in fact it isn't is a misrepresentation.  I understand how you may find it simple and convenient.  I also understand how authorities would find it simple and convenient for your children to rent a mail box.

True, and I see your point. However, the T&C of Nexus states that members must update address/passport/personal info as it changes, which I do. There is nothing in the T&C to suggest family members would impact other family status in the program. Waiting to see if my ex-husband (daughter's father) has his Nexus revoked too. 🤔

Given the circumstances, this case sounds like a very good candidate for a successful appeal. There appears to have been no mens rea on the part of your daughter, the offence was quite minor, and association with your daughter seems a pretty flimsy excuse for revocation IMO.

The appeal process is laid out here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/appeal-appel-eng.html

Another useful link: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/lose-perdez-eng.html

I do hope that you proceed with an appeal, and that you are successful.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...