How much luggage do you take for a 2 week cruise.

It's embarrassing when wife and I cruise. We take 2 29" suitcases both 47ish lbs and a rolling garment bag maybe 40ish lbs and sometimes a carry on. My excuse is I'm 6'4" 275 lbs so my clothes and shoes are large, wife is 5' so she has no excuse,  really ladies how many pair of sandals does a girl need lol we travel heavy and don't apologize for it.

• Like 1

My late wife and I would rarely have a suitcase weighing more than 16kgs/35lbs  each when travelling o/s, cruise or land tour, between 2 to 6 weeks. Sometimes less if cruising/touring tropical regions.

My two week Alaska cruise tour last June was just a tad over 17kgs due having a couple of extra cold/wet weather garments and a pair of hiking shoes.

On 4/22/2024 at 9:44 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Marks and Spencer have really cool reversable belts - black one side, brown the other. Very useful for travel.

I have one, bought from Macy's in Waikiki, but the brown side isn't often seen. My point is, if you need a brown & black belt you need to pack two different wardrobes. An extra belt is nothing in luggage, but the extra matching shoes, shirts & trousers are.

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

I have one, bought from Macy's in Waikiki, but the brown side isn't often seen. My point is, if you need a brown & black belt you need to pack two different wardrobes. An extra belt is nothing in luggage, but the extra matching shoes, shirts & trousers are.

I guess that depends on how much variety you want, and if you dress up on formal nights.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I guess that depends on how much variety you want, and if you dress up on formal nights.

I dress up on formal nights and have plenty of variety. Black shoes & belt for formal & smart casual for me. I get that someone who suits yellow tones will need their browns, olives taupe and also need black for formal nights. I guess it is easier to pack for a cruise if you are a blue tone person.

• Like 1

We have just come back from a month away. 17kg each and less coming home. We both took formal clothes and actually way too many clothes. Medications etc took up a lot of space, I was astounded last night seeing the luggage some were putting out for collection. Thankfully though we were getting our laundry done every couple of days until we left the ship. As two people (since the restart of cruising) that seem to take too many clothes I was happy with what we took, but definitely could have cut back. Funnily enough a 7 day cruise in March the bags weighed not that much less.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 2:57 AM, ceeceeDee said:

Yuck. It's not THAT difficult to wash a few things in the cabin bathroom! I always take a bar of Sunlight laundry soap in a zip lock bag. Takes up no room in the suitcase. I've found that light clothing in particular (undies and cotton shirts and dresses, etc) dry overnight hung up in the bathroom. I remember when we had an ocean view cabin on one cruise I actually draped undies on the flat window sill. OK, it looked like a Chinese laundry 😂 but everything dried quite rapidly in the sunlight coming in through the window. Don't know what the cabin attendants thought, but I would venture to guess they've seen worse than my bikini briefs.🤣

I’m in a hotel for a week. I washed a pair of undies in the shower yesterday and set up our camera tripod to dry them in the sun from the window. Like you, I don’t know what housekeeping thought!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 7:22 AM, Kineticoh20 said:

really ladies how many pair of sandals does a girl need lol

If you need to ask there's probably no point telling you 😉

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, resordanis said:

Funnily enough a 7 day cruise in March the bags weighed not that much less.

Yes, that's been my experience, because I usually pack enough clothes for seven days, then organise washing if the trip is longer.   So, even for longer than a month, my luggage weighs much the same.

I find that all the extra travel aids I take fill more of the suitcase than the clothes and shoes.

• Like 4

On 5/13/2024 at 11:51 AM, arxcards said:

A rope does both black and brown pants and still portrays that certain hillbilly chic.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, PoppyVelvet said:

I’m in a hotel for a week. I washed a pair of undies in the shower yesterday and set up our camera tripod to dry them in the sun from the window. Like you, I don’t know what housekeeping thought!

The tripod would weigh more than an extra pair or two of knickers, but I agree washing along the way is easy, and housekeeping would see much worse than clean undies drying.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

A rope does both black and brown pants and still portrays that certain hillbilly chic.

I have given up cruising on P&O.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Couldn't resist.🙄

ellie may.jpg

jethro.jpg

Edited by lyndarra
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The tripod would weigh more than an extra pair or two of knickers, but I agree washing along the way is easy, and housekeeping would see much worse than clean undies drying.

As I said in an earlier post, my bikini briefs aren't that shocking!😂

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, arxcards said:

On formal night, you can also tie the remaining rope around your neck.

I thought shoelaces were neck wear?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, arxcards said:

I have given up cruising on P&O

I have only done one P & O cruise and wish I gave it up before that one.  But that's enough about me, why?

• Like 1

I haven't done one since January 2023, it was fine, good price and good itinerary. Being a longer cruise, it didn't have the party weekend be drinking every moment type feel so was very much like a Princess cruise but younger. Yes, food consistency wasn't quite the same, but service was good and it was better than expectations.

Managing expectations go a long way to enjoying any cruise.

• Like 2

Just now, Bubbeh said:

I have only done one P & O cruise and wish I gave it up before that one.  But that's enough about me, why?

We have done some awesome P&O cruises. 25th November 2015 was one of the most memorable cruise days ever, and it was on P&O. Our last was the restart cruise in May 2022. It was the best cruise available at the time. It was an OK cruise, and should have all felt new again, but it felt like groundhog day.

1) Food - The current menus were launched in 2015 and are nearly verbatim for all venues, of which have been the same themes on all 8 of the ships in their fleet since that date. The only significant changes are a reduction of options at each meal, and a $10 charge for eggs benny. The food is OK, but boring & repetitive. Luke Mangan's is awesome, but is also much the same menu since it was launched some 15 years ago. This is all new and wonderful to someone who hasn't cruised P&O for a while or not at all. 

2) They owe us $150 of lost OBC

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

A long time ago when I was a teenager the fashion was hipster jeans with rope belts.