How much luggage do you take for a 2 week cruise.

What I take for a 7 night cruise is what I took for a 54 night cruise, plus an all weather light coat.  Did have to fly to London to join cruise so that limited me.  Medium suitcase, carryon and shoulder handbag.  Cruise was Princess so free laundry but turnaround was often 3 to 4 days as so many elites.

• Like 3

Like many others, i can't go on a cruise without taking a flight to get to the port. So I am limited to the one suitcase, no more than 23 kg, requirement. I take an airline sized carry on which can be attached to the handle of the main suitcase for moving around the airport.

I always plan on washing out my underwear and socks in the bathroom, but I draw the line at washing anything bigger than that.   So I take enough clothes to get through a number of  days, and then pay for laundry.  I always take things that need no ironing. Summer clothes are easier, but for a cold weather cruise, I take layers, starting with thermals underneath. If have to take a coat for cold weather, I take a down filled coat that can be rolled up small and pushed into a stuff bag. Shoes are the heaviest thing, but you can buy good lightweight shoes. I only take one pair of light super comfortable ones for the plane, one pair of sneakers for shore excursions, one pair of walking sandals and one pair of light shoes suitable for evening.

Sometimes it seems to me that it's all the extra things you need to take for the trip, not the clothes and shoes, that take up the most room in your suitcase.

• Like 5

I like to do my own washing.  On a summer temperature cruise I once hand washed the polar fleece top I wore on the flight (I dunno why, I'm probably a tad OCD). Never again though, it took about two days on the balcony to dry!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

In one of our bags lives a collapsible bag, about the same size and shape of a medium size suit case. takes up minimum space and weighs about 200 grams.

Inevitably coming home we find we have more than we started with.

No idea where it comes from, don't need anything, don't plan to buy anything!

But some how that jolly collapsing case comes in handy....🙄

We actually do have one of those fold up totes always packed and Frank has a fold up back pack that come in very useful on trips too

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A lot depends on where you are going, what type of clothes you wear, and what laundry facilities there are onboard.

If it's a hot climate I need more changes of clothes than cooler climates but cooler weather may need more layers.

On Princess I get free laundry so can have less changes as long as the laundry turnaround is reasonable - ie 2 days maximum. On other cruise lines it depends on whether they have guest laundrettes or offer deals on laundry. In those cases I plan on eight days of changes. 

When in doubt of weather or laundry facilities I pack more rather than less, and I loathe having to do laundry in my cabin. 

The joys of cruising from Sydney as your home port😁 we might take more if we were cruising out of Melbourne 😁

19 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

The joys of cruising from Sydney as your home port😁 we might take more if we were cruising out of Melbourne 😁

Yes, it makes a difference. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buchhalm said:

It SO depends on the cruise line.

I pack different for two weeks on Cunard than two weeks on Celebrity. 

Agree. I'm spending 18 nights on board Cunard from next week and require an international flight to get to the ship. I'll take one large suitcase and one small duffle bag which will slip over the handle of the suitcase for moving around the airport etc. I'll also take a decent-sized carry-on bag on the plane. I usually use the carry-on for a spare set of clothes and pjs (in case the checked luggage doesn't arrive) as well as my pillow! although the last international trip I did which was to South America then on to Antarctica I didn't take the pillow due to luggage restrictions, and survived so it won't be coming to Japan.

I like to have options to wear; get so sick of the same clothes if I try to travel really light, washing clothes every night and re-wearing all the time. And for Cunard I'll be taking 4 evening dresses which will add to the weight if not the bulk of it all but I get pleasure from being able to get dressed up.

And I never manage to reduce the shoes very much!

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Agree. I'm spending 18 nights on board Cunard from next week and require an international flight to get to the ship. I'll take one large suitcase and one small duffle bag which will slip over the handle of the suitcase for moving around the airport etc. I'll also take a decent-sized carry-on bag on the plane. I usually use the carry-on for a spare set of clothes and pjs (in case the checked luggage doesn't arrive) as well as my pillow! although the last international trip I did which was to South America then on to Antarctica I didn't take the pillow due to luggage restrictions, and survived so it won't be coming to Japan.

I like to have options to wear; get so sick of the same clothes if I try to travel really light, washing clothes every night and re-wearing all the time. And for Cunard I'll be taking 4 evening dresses which will add to the weight if not the bulk of it all but I get pleasure from being able to get dressed up.

So awesome! Enjoy 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm envious. We loved the cruise we did on Cunard earlier this year. 

Yes, I Iike to have options to wear and changes of shoes. My formal outfits are all Camilla silk kaftans so take up very little space or weight but now I have to pack two dinner jackets for Rolf! He wanted variety too! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, I Iike to have options to wear and changes of shoes. My formal outfits are all Camilla silk kaftans so take up very little space or weight but now I have to pack two dinner jackets for Rolf! He wanted variety too! 🤣

And I’m guessing you’re getting very excited for your round the world on 30th 🥰 have an awesome time

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have a lace cocktail dress which is my 'go to'. It's very light weight and can be rolled up to a compact shape for packing and doesn't crease. I'm thinking of buying a couple more in different colours.

• Like 1

Just now, Cbtours said:

And I’m guessing you’re getting very excited for your round the world on 30th 🥰 have an awesome time

Yes, we've almost got all our stuff organized, we just have to pick up a few things from the chemist tomorrow. The battle of the suitcases occurs next Sunday! Clothes are the easy part, it's all the other stuff that's going to be a pain to pack.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

I have a lace cocktail dress which is my 'go to'. It's very light weight and can be rolled up to a compact shape for packing and doesn't crease. I'm thinking of buying a couple more in different colours.

I don't have the figure to wear cocktail dresses these days. 😪 Thank goodness for Camilla kaftans, they hide all my wobbly bits! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't have the figure to wear cocktail dresses these days. 😪 Thank goodness for Camilla kaftans, they hide all my wobbly bits! 🤣

They look beautiful on you 🥰

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, we've almost got all our stuff organized, we just have to pick up a few things from the chemist tomorrow. The battle of the suitcases occurs next Sunday! Clothes are the easy part, it's all the other stuff that's going to be a pain to pack.

I’d be very happy to have that problem 😁 

no more cruises this year as we have Christmas in South Africa (capetown) to plan for. 

30 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

They look beautiful on you 🥰

Thank you. I love wearing them, they feel glamorous but are so light and comfortable. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I’d be very happy to have that problem 😁 

no more cruises this year as we have Christmas in South Africa (capetown) to plan for. 

Do you know there are some cabins available for the Sydney to Capetown segment of the world cruise? It's mostly sea days, just Fremantle and Mauritius as port stops. 

About $110pp per night for a balcony cabin. $136pp per night for a mini-suite.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I like to have options to wear; get so sick of the same clothes if I try to travel really light,

I agree, but sometimes you don't have a choice. I do recall coming home after the 5 month trip around Europe and SE Asia on a budget as a young student. By the time I got home, I hated the sight of my travelling clothes so much that I bundled them up and donated the lot to the local Op shop.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oh so true, especially for a world cruise.

What follows will probably put some of you in incredulous horror.😵

For our last WC in 2018, once we finished packing we had 6 check in bags.....

Don't get to excited yet.

We also had two carry-ons each as well.

But when your away over three months, there is a lot of other stuff, yes there was extra clothes as most of the cruise was in warm regions, but there was a reasonable trip through the artic circle, requiring warm heavy clothes.

And then there was Hil's art gear, brushes, paints, canvases, etc.

Plus heaps of, health stuff for three months, electronic stuff like charges for shavers, phones, tablets, tooth brushes, hearing aids, trimers, etc.

And I won't go into shoes, women will know what I mean.

When I seen the line up, my eyebrows were just as high as some of you are now.🤣

By the way, never used any of the cold weather clothes, it was warm barmy weather all through Iceland, Greenland, and northern Canada.😄

Oh there was a few bottles of wine went with us as well.

Thank Goodness It Was A Home Port 15min from Home.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

But when your away over three months, there is a lot of other stuff, yes there was extra clothes as most of the cruise was in warm regions, but there was a reasonable trip through the artic circle, requiring warm heavy clothes.

Plus heaps of, health stuff for three months, electronic stuff like charges for shavers, phones, tablets, tooth brushes, hearing aids, trimers, etc.

By the way, never used any of the cold weather clothes, it was warm barmy weather all through Iceland, Greenland, and northern Canada.😄

Sounds like awesome trip 🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thank you. I love wearing them, they feel glamorous but are so light and comfortable. 

The last pic you posted from Cunard was absolutely stunning 🥰

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I'm hoping we'll get away with 2 medium-large spinners, two medium spinners, 2 overnight bags, and two cartons for check-in. We're going to drop these down to the terminal fairly early, then take the car back home and finish a few chores. So we'll just have two carry-ons and a backpack to take with us when we check-in. 

Yes, it's really useful when the port is only 15 minutes away.

• Like 3