Scooter in Regular Interior?

I have already looked through the handicap cruising boards here.  

So we’re on the Vista in a few weeks.  I fell on Monday and I now need a scooter.  Ugh!  I’m so mad!  

Carnival’s disability department says the scooter will fit inside a regular cabin.
Is this going to work?   Where in the Sam Hill is this going to fit?  

There are no HC cabins left. 

What are the chances of me getting a HC cabin at the pier?

I’m sick about this. My friend said she’d rather be my nurse than have me cancel even though I have insurance for cancellation.  

No chance for HC- they always sell out with a waiting list. If your scooter is within the guidelines it will work. We have a scooter that beaks down for storage if necessary but thankfully it fits without any problem.  The Spirit the housekeeping manager stopped by and told us we could leave it in the hall but we didn't.

• Like 1

How old and fit is your friend?  Could she do an upper bunk 1A cabin?  Floor space in those cabins is amazing.  If you could move the beds into an L shape, one across the back of the cabin and the other along one side, it would work.  That works well on the Fantasy class, but I don’t know if anyone has ever tried on the newer ships.  EM

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

No chance for HC- they always sell out with a waiting list. If your scooter is within the guidelines it will work. We have a scooter that beaks down for storage if necessary but thankfully it fits without any problem.  The Spirit the housekeeping manager stopped by and told us we could leave it in the hall but we didn't.

I don't know how long ago it was that this happened, but scooters left in the hallways are expressly forbidden.  It's a safety hazard.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

How old and fit is your friend?  Could she do an upper bunk 1A cabin?  

Good idea. But wouldn’t be doable .

Ive written Carnival on the off chance there’s a no-show in a HC on my sailing.  
I realize it’s a long shot.  Thx

Posted (edited)

We received this notice regarding our upcoming Carnival Jubilee cruise.  I thought it might be of interest to you.  It seems like it was sent to everyone since we don't use a scooter.  The letter gives the number for their Guest Access team.

GUEST ADVISORY

SCOOTER REMINDER

April 9, 2024

Dear Carnival Guest,

This message is being sent only to guests booked in specific staterooms and is intended only for those traveling with a scooter.* If you will not be traveling with one, you may disregard this advisory. Otherwise, please read this message in its entirety as we have important information regarding your stateroom and its accessibility features for guests traveling with a scooter.

The stateroom you have secured does not accommodate all types of scooters. If you or another guest in your stateroom will be traveling with a scooter, it must collapse for safe storage in a designated area inside the stateroom. 

If the scooter does not collapse, please contact our Guest Access team at 1.800.438.6744, ext. 70025, to discuss options. The team is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM (ET). Failure to choose one of the options below, will result in denial of boarding.

Guests may:
  • Travel with a collapsible scooter or without one.
  • Change ship and/or sailing date(s) to secure a stateroom that can properly accommodate the scooter.
  • Cancel and receive a full refund.
Please be aware that:
  • Scooters cannot be stored in corridors or public areas. Guests must be able to collapse or fold them for storage in a way that allows for safe exit from the stateroom. 
  • Guests who travel with multiple scooters in the same stateroom, must purchase a fully accessible stateroom with a wider doorway (32"), or rent a smaller scooter appropriately suited for their stateroom. 
  • Guests may be required to have their scooters sized at the time of check-in to ensure it fits in the stateroom. Scooters that do not fit will not be allowed on board. Should a guest be unable to make alternate arrangements to rent a smaller scooter or travel without one, boarding will be denied, and a refund issued to the original form of payment.
Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. Our team is looking forward to hosting you for a FUN and memorable cruise. 

Sincerely,

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.carnivalcru
Colleen Oliverio
VP, Guest Services - Contact Centers

*Sailing List:

Carnival Celebration: April 14, 2024 & April 21, 2024
Carnival Jubilee: April 20, 2024 & April 27, 2024
Mardi Gras: April 20, 2024 & April 27, 2024

Edited by PlanoTim

3 hours ago, PlanoTim said:

We received this notice regarding our upcoming Carnival Jubilee cruise.

Thanks. According to the scooter people at the port, it WILL fit in there. 

It sounds like we’ll need to work around it.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I don't know how long ago it was that this happened, but scooters left in the hallways are expressly forbidden.  It's a safety hazard.

November 2023

If you are renting the scooter at the port from Carnivals scooter distributor it will fit. The only problem we have ever had is in charging it. bring an extension cord so you can put it in an out of the way spot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can find a collapsible/foldable scooter with a detachable battery, you can charge it separately. My MIL has one with a detachable battery and it works out very well for her. Granted, she's going to be in an accessible cabin, but every little bit helps.

Hi

My experience is that as long as you have a smaller scooter type, you will be fine. 

The larger(wider) scooters, just won't fit through some doors.

Just a reminder, if you need to ride the scooter all the time, you will need someone to open/hold the cabin door for you. If you can move around a bit, you would be able to accomplish this if you bring a door stop (tie a thin string to it and you don't need to get up again when leaving the cabin).

Depending on your situation, you might consider a folding wheelchair. (you can typically buy one for the price of a scooter rental for a week) If your friend is able to help, it might be a better choice, especially for doing things off the ship.

have a great cruise

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 11:04 AM, staceyglow said:

That may be so, but it is not being enforced. On my way to my cabin last night, I counted three Carnival Glory branded collapsable wheelchairs in the hallway outside of interior cabins (only two of which were collapsed), and one red collapsable scooter.  And that was just on the port side of one of the passenger decks. No telling how many "expressly forbidden" safety hazards are occurring each night on all the decks combined.

54 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

That may be so, but it is not being enforced. On my way to my cabin last night, I counted three Carnival Glory branded collapsable wheelchairs in the hallway outside of interior cabins (only two of which were collapsed), and one red collapsable scooter.  And that was just on the port side of one of the passenger decks. No telling how many "expressly forbidden" safety hazards are occurring each night on all the decks combined.

So, because a certain rule isn't enforced 100% of the time on 100% of the ships, it's okay to ignore?  The OP was looking for guidance on getting a scooter with her interior cabin.  I would never advise anyone to simply disregard a written policy, especially when the safety of other passengers is involved.

And I would certainly not be shy about reporting scooters left in the hallway for an extended amount of time to ship security.   The first time I saw it, I might give the person a little grace and assume that they had just popped into their cabin for a few minutes, but after that, maybe not.

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 1

OP here.  Thank you all for your advice.  

I was actually contacted by Carnival a few days ago and moved to an HC cabin on deck 2.  I was surprised because they said they don’t have a waiting list.  

I’m guessing they also wanted my interior midship deck 7 cabin to sell for a premium to a last minute guest. 😉

It’s a huge relief as I was concerned about the small door, etc.  

Now the only thing I have left to do is see if my private tour company in St Martin (Bernard’s Tours) will watch my scooter while I’m on the tour.   Or hopefully I can get a bicycle taxi over to the tour bus area and back.  Or I may have to hobble the whole way. 😂

• Like 3

14 hours ago, staceyglow said:

So, because a certain rule isn't enforced 100% of the time on 100% of the ships, it's okay to ignore?  The OP was looking for guidance on getting a scooter with her interior cabin.  I would never advise anyone to simply disregard a written policy, especially when the safety of other passengers is involved.

And I would certainly not be shy about reporting scooters left in the hallway for an extended amount of time to ship security.   The first time I saw it, I might give the person a little grace and assume that they had just popped into their cabin for a few minutes, but after that, maybe not.

WTH are you talking about?? Please point to where I said it was okay to do this. Go ahead, I'll wait....

All I did was report that the policy wasn't being enforced. At least not on this cruise because it has been the exact same thing every night for two full weeks. Wheelchairs and scooters parked in the hallways overnight, starting in the early evening. Not only that, but I even pointed out that in one of the cases, they didn't even bother to fold up the wheelchairs and created even more of a safety issue by taking up even more of the hallway.

So maybe next time you should make a better attempt to understand a poster's comment before jumping down their throat because you misinterpreted what they wrote.

2 hours ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

WTH are you talking about?? Please point to where I said it was okay to do this. Go ahead, I'll wait....

All I did was report that the policy wasn't being enforced. At least not on this cruise because it has been the exact same thing every night for two full weeks. Wheelchairs and scooters parked in the hallways overnight, starting in the early evening. Not only that, but I even pointed out that in one of the cases, they didn't even bother to fold up the wheelchairs and created even more of a safety issue by taking up even more of the hallway.

So maybe next time you should make a better attempt to understand a poster's comment before jumping down their throat because you misinterpreted what they wrote.

I inferred from your post that you were saying that it was okay to leave a scooter in the hall because other people have done it. If I was mistaken, I apologize. 

I still believe that scooters, wheelchairs, and strollers should be reported to security. If that was done consistently, the problem would probably go away. 

I cruise a lot with my elderly mom, who has spinal stenosis and needs a scooter to get around. We purchased a foldable travel scooter for her a few years ago, and it's been terrific! It fits in an interior cabin because you can fold it up, push it through the doorway, and stick it in the corner. Have to watch your toes at night so you don't trip on it, but I highly recommend getting one. Just search for "foldable travel scooter" and you'll find a bunch.

• Like 1