Non Suite Passengers on Beyond

If I could get an SV on E class I’d be happy not to be in retreat. Dh doesn’t like the retreat lounge and we prefer the speciality restaurants to Luminae. We use elite breakfast rather than Luminae and sometimes buffet for dinner & breakfast.

We book a suite purely for the balcony which I’m non negotiable on.

We spend more time in cafe al bacio or one of the bars rather than the retreat lounge, which though perfectly pleasant, doesn’t have much atmosphere imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suppose people who don’t like Luminae have been in suites on other cruise lines with better food and service.  Everyone I’ve talked to in the trailer park really enjoys it.  

I’ve been in the Retreat twice.   I like it but I don’t think it’s worth the price compared to Aqua.  

Don’t get me started on the folks who say “I love the Retreat, but the OVC is soooo much better.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We like the level of service that comes with the Retreat, including service in Luminae. Not too fond of the dinner menu's but like lunch and breakfast. If I didn't have to fly to port I'd be very tempted to book an IV for a 7 day cruise, just to try it and the 4 main dining rooms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

Certainly many posters on this thread not complimentary to Luminae.

Luminae is not the same on an E class ship as the M/S class. Simply a numbers game - they cannot do individual cooking for the large number of suites on E class. More banquet style cooking. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I suppose people who don’t like Luminae have been in suites on other cruise lines with better food and service.  Everyone I’ve talked to in the trailer park really enjoys it.  

I’ve been in the Retreat twice.   I like it but I don’t think it’s worth the price compared to Aqua.  

Don’t get me started on the folks who say “I love the Retreat, but the OVC is soooo much better.”

Got my popcorn. Go for it! LOL

• Thanks 1

We just got off the Beyond on Monday after a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise.  Absolutely fantastic.  We stayed in a Porthole Veranda - 7123.  It was perfect for us. And yes, you can turn the chairs front to back.  🙂  

The shows are really unbelievable - excellent talent.  The MDR are very good, I just wish there was more selection.  All the MDR's serve the same food except each one has three apps and three entrees that are different each night.  I thought there should be more to choose from.  I thought all the food was good, but we had the best in Le Petit Chef.  Delicious, even better than the Steakhouse.  We also ate at the Rooftop grill which was also very good.  Drinks were good throughout the ship.  It never really felt crowded to us, you just needed to get to the shows early for a seat.  I did think the shows at Eden were too late starting at 10:45.  And yes, there were pool deck chair hogs and it did not seem like Celebrity staff were doing any sort of monitoring it it.  But, I would absolutely book the Beyond again in a minute.

Beyond Porthole Veranda - 7123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kleibo said:

We just got off the Beyond on Monday after a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise.  Absolutely fantastic.  We stayed in a Porthole Veranda - 7123.  It was perfect for us. And yes, you can turn the chairs front to back.  🙂  

Beyond Porthole Veranda - 7123.jpg

Thanks for this. Do you know, is this the only way to get a true balcony on E class without booking a suite? What is the cabin category called?

I am loathe to try IV as I pretty much know I’d hate it, but really want to try a newer ship without Retreat-level gouging. This might be the only way.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Shep_Proudfoot said:

Thanks for this. Do you know, is this the only way to get a true balcony on E class without booking a suite? What is the cabin category called?

I am loathe to try IV as I pretty much know I’d hate it, but really want to try a newer ship without Retreat-level gouging. This might be the only way.

It is a Deluxe Porthole View with Veranda.  You can also get a Sunset Veranda which are the balconies on the aft of the ship.

Edited by kleibo
clarified name of room
  • Thanks 2

On 4/24/2024 at 7:05 AM, horseymike said:

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone who has sailed as a NON SUITE passenger on the Beyond give me their opinion with regard to the overall enjoyment of their cruise ?

I get a feeling that the Edge class ships have been designed primarily for Suite Guests and I am hoping someone will convince me otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

You are correct about the design for suite guests. My favorite place on S and M class ships is the Forward facing Sky Lounge.  We  sailed on Edge when it came on line in 2018.

The  View from Eden in the back of the ship only lets me see what's Behind us and Not where we are going. The weird hall of mirrors you have to go through is disorienting and we called it the Halloween Forest.

The Infinite Veranda is a cruel joke and the 4 dining room Idea is dumb. The only thing dumber is the Magic Carpet that you have to Get Off of when they raise or lower it.

X puts another 1000 guests in a ship not much bigger than a Solstice class ship and even my Wife thought it was crowded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kleibo said:

It is a Deluxe Porthole View with Veranda.  You can also get a Sunset Veranda which are the balconies on the aft of the ship.

SV is lovely..very quiet hallway, large true balc with aft view...and larger cabin...long and narrow. 

We like the  bed by bath.. It's a  long walk to/ from elev..you will get your steps in!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, D. B. said:

You are correct about the design for suite guests. My favorite place on S and M class ships is the Forward facing Sky Lounge.  We  sailed on Edge when it came on line in 2018.

The  View from Eden in the back of the ship only lets me see what's Behind us and Not where we are going. The weird hall of mirrors you have to go through is disorienting and we called it the Halloween Forest.

The Infinite Veranda is a cruel joke and the 4 dining room Idea is dumb. The only thing dumber is the Magic Carpet that you have to Get Off of when they raise or lower it.

X puts another 1000 guests in a ship not much bigger than a Solstice class ship and even my Wife thought it was crowded.

100%, I agree.

I will not patronize any ship that does not have a great forward view for all passengers.

I think of going through the Panama and observing the mules working and the lock staff.

I think of being in the Sky View on the Millie watching Venice rise out of the sea!! Oh my.

Humm, would not see that on Celebrity's newer ships.

The Connie is my favorite ship on the seas, next to the QM2.

Easy for me to eliminate many ships from consideration - size and forward view.

Have great travels D. B.!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

100%, I agree.

I will not patronize any ship that does not have a great forward view for all passengers.

I think of going through the Panama and observing the mules working and the lock staff.

I think of being in the Sky View on the Millie watching Venice rise out of the sea!! Oh my.

Next up for me will be Summit sailing up the Pacific coast and in about 12 days I will be in the Sky Lounge as we sail in and out of San Francisco Bay under the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, D. B. said:

Next up for me will be Summit sailing up the Pacific coast and in about 12 days I will be in the Sky Lounge as we sail in and out of San Francisco Bay under the Golden Gate Bridge.

D. B. I have done that on the Oceania Insignia, amazing indeed.

I started cruising in 1989 on the Sovereign of the Seas, I am aware of all the changes in cruising.

One key decision by Celebrity in their new ships is to reduce venues to the sea. This is to keep the passengers looking Inward and SPENDING.

The mass cruise lines are all about this configuration.

Move to the premium lines and above, this is not a big item.

We are ALL well taken care of irregardless of our "status". 

Enjoy your voyage indeed!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

D. B. I have done that on the Oceania Insignia, amazing indeed.

I started cruising in 1989 on the Sovereign of the Seas, I am aware of all the changes in cruising.

One key decision by Celebrity in their new ships is to reduce venues to the sea. This is to keep the passengers looking Inward and SPENDING.

The mass cruise lines are all about this configuration.

Move to the premium lines and above, this is not a big item.

We are ALL well taken care of irregardless of our "status". 

Enjoy your voyage indeed!

You seriously think a cruise line designs ships so you don’t see the ocean?

4 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Forward, yes indeed. Evidence Celebrity newer classes. Enough said.

Have a great day.

You realize you can look out your cabin window or door and see the ocean, right?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

You realize you can look out your cabin window or door and see the ocean, right?

Like ya.

Do you have pictures of Venice rising out of the sea from the Sky Lounge?

Do you have pictures of the bow going through the Panama Canal locks with the mechanical donkeys rising to the top of the locks, with a wonderful beverage in your hand, sitting at the front of the Sky Lounge?

Do you have pictures of Cape Horn, on approach, and going around the Horn with video being made sitting in the Sky Lounge so you can get a 180 degree vista?

There you go dear. Have a great day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

Not so, I usually book interiors but it's a quick walk to the pool/resort deck and you can usually find me at the Sunset Bar at sunset.

• Like 1

Just now, dreamer321 said:

Not so, I usually book interiors but it's a quick walk to the pool/resort deck and you can usually find me at the Sunset Bar at sunset.

Ok you got me.  Inside cabins do not have a view of the ocean.

On 4/25/2024 at 3:09 PM, kleibo said:

seat.  I did think the shows at Eden were too late starting at 10:45

Yes Yes Yes!  We also thought the 10:45 shows were way too late!  We managed to hang in there but not gonna lie, it was a struggle!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 1:41 PM, D. B. said:

and the 4 dining room Idea is dumb.

We think it’s rather unique and enjoyed it immensely. So wonderful that there’s enough out there for all of us sea lovers to find a product to best suit our cruising needs. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 8:18 AM, QuestionEverything said:

100%, I agree.

That’s your criteria for a good ship, a forward view? I never even considered sailing on Celebrity until they introduced Edge class, as their older ships are too small and dowdy for the type of vacation experience I would be looking for. With Beyond being close to Royal’s Freedom class, it’s the perfect sized ship with enough amenities and passenger common areas to not feel bored for a week. To each their own.

As for forward view, have you tried leaning over your balcony railing?

3 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

That’s your criteria for a good ship, a forward view? I never even considered sailing on Celebrity until they introduced Edge class, as their older ships are too small and dowdy for the type of vacation experience I would be looking for. With Beyond being close to Royal’s Freedom class, it’s the perfect sized ship with enough amenities and passenger common areas to not feel bored for a week. To each their own.

As for forward view, have you tried leaning over your balcony railing?

Hi TheHawk1.

Exactly to each their own. I despise the E class vessels, sailed once and never again.

I sail for the vistas and destinations; the onboard is far down in importance. Other folk have the opposite priority.

Many ships have a forward view lounge with food and drinks to facilitate amazing all day sailing to and through amazing places, as I described earlier.

Leaning over the balcony will not facilitate the outstanding forward vista photographs on the walls of my house to be sure.

Hence why I patronize now the premium and luxury lines as they have the forward view high lounges that provide, every guest, with a panorama of where we are going.

The Connie and the QM2, the QM2, with her fully open to the air extended viewing area under the bridge, are my favorite vessels.

I have been spoiled as I have travelled much on Great Lakes freights as staff of the line and enjoyed being right at the front of the vessel going under bridges and through the thousand islands in Ontario.

Seeing where one is going is important.

To each their own.

I personally enjoy a lounge area in front of the ship with a panoramic view.

I also enjoy an outdoor promenade ( under cover ) to walk and enjoy the fresh air , the sea and still be somewhat protected from sun or rain .

Everyone has likes and dislikes, just a matter of finding availability of those things that are important to us as individuals.

• Like 2