Never done a Cunard cruise....Are we missing out on something????

Kelownabccan

7 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Ah.....QC....Quebec city......lol....have done the Eastern seaboard a few times....in the Fall for all the so called colors....haha.......NYC to Montreal....and return

Kelowna has no direct flights to major places....have to go to Calgary or Vancover first

D&N....thanks for the tips....usually I take a dark jacket and slacks and long sleeve shirt on cruises....wear on the plane and then do not have to pack....haha....and a tie takes no room.....then stash in the cabin and wear when I have to....easy....peasy

Planning a Vancouver and Rocky Mountain road trip for next Autumn! Haven’t been for 45 years…

Back then took overnight normal train from Vancouver to Banff. Doesn’t exist now - only the very expensive Rocky Mountaineer which takes ages and is for tourists only. 

I see why flights to London aren’t much longer than to NYC - great circle routes and all that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Planning a Vancouver and Rocky Mountain road trip for next Autumn! Haven’t been for 45 years…

Back then took overnight normal train from Vancouver to Banff. Doesn’t exist now - only the very expensive Rocky Mountaineer which takes ages and is for tourists only. 

I see why flights to London aren’t much longer than to NYC - great circle routes and all that. 

Why not look at this site.....the new Rail one for Canada.....

Do a trip to Jasper....stay for a day or two and go on to Edmonton and fly home from there....Jasper is just like Banff.....and less touristy...lol...

https://www.viarail.ca/en

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelownabccan said:

Why not look at this site.....the new Rail one for Canada.....

Do a trip to Jasper....stay for a day or two and go on to Edmonton and fly home from there....Jasper is just like Banff.....and less touristy...lol...

https://www.viarail.ca/en

Only runs every 3 days and sleeper berth prices very expensive. Was thinking hiring a car and doing a big loop over about 8 to 10 days. Vancouver, Whistler, Jasper, Banff, Vancouver. Trying to use BA Avios so have to be in and out of Vancouver I think. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Only runs every 3 days and sleeper berth prices very expensive. Was thinking hiring a car and doing a big loop over about 8 to 10 days. Vancouver, Whistler, Jasper, Banff, Vancouver. Trying to use BA Avios so have to be in and out of Vancouver I think. 

Calgary is an international airport and likely one of BA partners fly from Calgary. 

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Calgary is an international airport and likely one of BA partners fly from Calgary. 

checked again as nothing direct showed up last time. Would have to be AA/BA and it’s suggesting via Chicago or…. Dallas. My US geography isn’t great but Dallas is almost in the wrong direction…

will go back to Vancouver one way or other. Can fly to Vancouver from Calgary. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

checked again as nothing direct showed up last time. Would have to be AA/BA and it’s suggesting via Chicago or…. Dallas. My US geography isn’t great but Dallas is almost in the wrong direction…

will go back to Vancouver one way or other. Can fly to Vancouver from Calgary. 

Dallas is the AA home hub.  It is a quick ride, Chicago would be a little better geographically but if you choose to use Calgary I would pick the one with a decent layover period.  For international I prefer 90 minutes 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Getting WAY OTT here, but its generally recommended you spend at least a week in the Rockies (Banff, Jasper, Yoho, maybe Kooteney NP, Mt Robson PP), and travelling to the Rockies from Vancouver is crossing a time zone. Similar distance to travelling to Switzerland from London. A comfortable one way trip with a flight one way between Calgary and Vancouver needs about 12 days and if you want to do a loop, three full weeks is ideal.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dandypanda said:

Getting WAY OTT here, but its generally recommended you spend at least a week in the Rockies (Banff, Jasper, Yoho, maybe Kooteney NP, Mt Robson PP), and travelling to the Rockies from Vancouver is crossing a time zone. Similar distance to travelling to Switzerland from London. A comfortable one way trip with a flight one way between Calgary and Vancouver needs about 12 days and if you want to do a loop, three full weeks is ideal.

Won’t have 3 weeks unfortunately. Was thinking 2 days each to and from Vancouver and 4 days at Banff/Jasper or LL. I know not ideal.. and it’s supposedly 8 or 9 hours from Vancouver to Banff could be done in one day with 2 drivers… Not retired yet so can’t take 3 weeks! Or even 2 as would like to spend sometime in Vancouver. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

Won’t have 3 weeks unfortunately. Was thinking 2 days each to and from Vancouver and 4 days at Banff/Jasper or LL. I know not ideal.. and it’s supposedly 8 or 9 hours from Vancouver to Banff could be done in one day with 2 drivers… Not retired yet so can’t take 3 weeks! Or even 2 as would like to spend sometime in Vancouver. 

Its doable, but I always feel the rush drive across BC isn't worth it if you don't have time. Fly in and out of Calgary and just do a loop of the main Alberta sights instead. A more enjoyable holiday. Do Vancouver, Whistler and Vancouver Island, maybe Seattle on a different itinerary another time.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Wow....looked up via rail to Jasper from Vancouver......19 hr train ride and want over $3000 for a sleeper cabin with meals.....far too expensive for one day.....yikes.....just drive....for fly into Calgary or Edmonton and drive less.....from Van to Jasper or Banff is a two day drive.....or a very long one day.....

• Like 2

I enjoyed my crossing last summer.  That was my first time on Cunard.   I have been on Carnival, HAL, and NCL.  I am not big on dressing up, but I did enjoy doing it on Cunard.  The service was excellent.  They even have female dance hosts.  I discovered this when I got up to participate in a line dance.  She helped me with the steps and gave me a brisk workout on the dance floor.  The male dance host paired up with my GF, and she enjoyed that, too.  The dance hosts showed class and precision in their interactions with us.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

I enjoyed my crossing last summer.  That was my first time on Cunard.   I have been on Carnival, HAL, and NCL.  I am not big on dressing up, but I did enjoy doing it on Cunard.  The service was excellent.  They even have female dance hosts.  I discovered this when I got up to participate in a line dance.  She helped me with the steps and gave me a brisk workout on the dance floor.  The male dance host paired up with my GF, and she enjoyed that, too.  The dance hosts showed class and precision in their interactions with us.  

That’s fun.  I never considered this advantage of dance hosts. I had always considered them for solos but now I know I can dance and leave DH to his peace.  Another Cunard bonus. 

• Like 3

Thanks to all who gave me interesting topics to "mull over" about Cunard....still thinking about the one to the Canary Islands in February.....will let you know if I put down a deposit...will keep my eye open for sales or some sort of perks.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Thanks to all who gave me interesting topics to "mull over" about Cunard....still thinking about the one to the Canary Islands in February.....will let you know if I put down a deposit...will keep my eye open for sales or some sort of perks.....

A TA should be able to get you some sort of perk. Mine regularly gives 5% off. 

• Like 1

Those dance hosts are the consummate professionals at making anyone feel comfortable.  I have two left feet and not the best social skills.  The lady who danced with me matched my level and made sure I enjoyed the experience.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Those dance hosts are the consummate professionals at making anyone feel comfortable.  I have two left feet and not the best social skills.  The lady who danced with me matched my level and made sure I enjoyed the experience.  

That’s wonderful.  After 45 years of marriage to a non-dancer I would love to put my dancing shoes to good use. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mary229 said:

That’s wonderful.  After 45 years of marriage to a non-dancer I would love to put my dancing shoes to good use. 

LOL....we used to know a dance host that went all over the world dancing with women.....he just raved about all the fun he had......not sure if Cunard....thought it was HAL....but that was years ago.....now a days....who knows who you would have to dance with.....anyways another reason to sail on Cunard......

• Like 2

If you're interested in the dance hosts, please note that they are not on every cruise.  Cunard has really cut down on providing dance hosts, so you may want to check whether they will be on your cruise or not.  I think they are usually available on the transatlantic cruises, but they are not on the 10-night Alaska cruise that I have booked, which is very disappointing.  Customer Service can tell you if they will be on a particular cruise or not.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 5:26 PM, buchanan101 said:

Trying to use BA Avios so have to be in and out of Vancouver I think

My daughter and her partner flew to Toronto in October - did Niagara Falls and Quebec etc., then flew to Calgary where they picked up a car and did the sightseeing drive to Vancouver over 10 days. They flew back from Vancouver and flights to/from Toronto and Vancouver were booked with BA using Avios.

As far as concerns about schlepping luggage…. Not certain if Cunard still have their luggage service but many passengers use a luggage service such as luggageforward.com.  

Just got off a transatlantic on Queen Mary 2 and my perspective is that there was a very high compliance with the gala night dress code.  The people i did see who were not formally dressed were quite noticeable, though as others have noted there are options such as the buffet for eating, but access to the public rooms is limited.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Cancun01 said:

As far as concerns about schlepping luggage…. Not certain if Cunard still have their luggage service but many passengers use a luggage service such as luggageforward.com.  

The Cunard.com "White Star [luggage] Service" entry links to LuggageForward's Cunard page.

• Like 1