Second Entree Complimentary Dining Room

cbfromjc

I understand a second entree being an additional $5.  How about just ordering a second appetizer or a second dessert?  Are they each an additional $5?

What happens if your first entree was not cooked properly?  A steak was overcooked.

Thanks.

Charging for main dining room extra selections is dependent on the sailing. 

It only seems to be a US thing currently. 

By entree, do you mean main ?  And by appetizer, starter ?

European sailings don't charge extra for additional starters, mains or desserts.

If you aren't happy with a dish, send it back and request a replacement !

Consensus is still out as to whether the charge is for each additional entree or if the $5 charge covers any additional entrees after the first.  The wording isn't specific, and so far no one here has reported personal experience with this.  Also keep in mind that there is always a pasta or risotto dish as a main each night, and the always available section of the menu has some main pastas.  You can order any of that (and/or presumably the main salad offering) as a starter for no additional charge.  I think maybe one person here had a problem doing that.  But if that happened to me, I would escalate the request, as pasta is a whole different course than a main in traditional Italian dining, and I am guessing that person's waiter was confused. They will almost certainly bring a main sized portion BTW.

• Like 1

On Seaside they were charging for the extra, people next to me had an extra entree they ate maybe one bite of.  Not sure if you order more than one extra.  On Seashore. One at the table ordered extra.  EM

Posted (edited)

The confusion is among those who do not understand the difference between the dinner size pasta portion and the availability of almost any pasta dish as a "primo."

The "primo" is small and usually doesn't contain meat or seafood  which means depending on the dish, may not be available as a "primo" course.

When I have ordered the pasta as a "primo," it was a much smaller portion than an entree.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, caribsun said:

Sailed Meraviglia Feb. 24 and only one or two mains had a extra charge. 

That's not what this subject is about, though.  Yes, there are a couple of items available for an upcharge, but MSC is charging $5, on US sailings, if you order a SECOND mains/entrée item. 

13 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The confusion is among those who do not understand the difference between the dinner size pasta portion and the availability of almost any pasta dish as a "primo."

The "primo" is small and usually doesn't contain meat or seafood  which means depending on the dish, may not be available as a "primo" course.

When I have ordered the pasta as a "primo," it was a much smaller portion than an entree.

On the Meraviglia from New York, we often ordered a pasta as a "starter."  We always received the full dinner size and exact type including meat or seafood each time and were never charged the extra entree fee.  The lasagna was huge and delicious.  The Meraviglia menus do not have a "primo" section.  It is called "starters."

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Was on Seashore from 4/14 to 4/28. Had the lobster tail and filet both weeks. Wasn’t charged extra.

We were on a February Cruise on Meraviglia and were charged for the extra entree on lobster night.

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

We were on a February Cruise on Meraviglia and were charged for the extra entree on lobster night.

Just another of MSC’s inconsistencies.  It’s nearly obligatory to add ‘YMMV’ to any information posted here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gizfish said:

The Meraviglia menus do not have a "primo" section.  It is called "starters."

I was using the correct term of "primo" as used in Italian culture to describe the first ("primo") course of pasta.  It is small in size and usually does not contain fish or meat. This information is included in case someone is ever told that a particular pasta course is not available as a "primo."

The "primo" comes after other courses such as the antipasto.

You are correct that MSC has dumbed down their menus (as have many cruise lines) to lump all the various courses that come before the main entree in the category of "starters."

However, for those who may wish to have the pasta as a "starter," if one tells the waiter that one wants the pasta as a "primo,"  he will know what you are ordering.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised MSC twice to the Caribean in the last 10 months and are USA based.

Regular balcony room on the Seaside we were charged  $5 per extra entree

YC on the Seashore, no extra charge for extra entrees.

I never order extra appetizer or dessert.