If someone can't go last minute with Platinum insurance

rocklinmom

We are 3 weeks out from our cruise and my mom fell and broke her wrist requiring surgery and possibly a followup surgery. We have Platinum insurance (because you never know what can happen, like this) so if they can't go, can we swap them out for two other family members? Or does one of them (him) have to remain in the cabin? I don't think he would want to go without her. We are getting down to the wire so I am trying to come up with a backup plan if needed. 

30 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

We are 3 weeks out from our cruise and my mom fell and broke her wrist requiring surgery and possibly a followup surgery. We have Platinum insurance (because you never know what can happen, like this) so if they can't go, can we swap them out for two other family members? Or does one of them (him) have to remain in the cabin? I don't think he would want to go without her. We are getting down to the wire so I am trying to come up with a backup plan if needed. 

Have you inquired at Princess?  Did you book with a CVP or TA and have you had them inquire on your behalf?  This is exceptional, so it could be different, but I have heard the "lead" name in a booking has to stay and others can be changed.  Sure, they could cancel, but I would explain to Princess you can fill the cabin with alternate family members.

• Thanks 1

Princess Platinum is not a cancel for any reason plan.  You may need a letter from the physician that she’s unable to travel. You do see people cruising in casts, etc.

13 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Princess Platinum is not a cancel for any reason plan.  You may need a letter from the physician that she’s unable to travel. You do see people cruising in casts, etc.

This is not correct.  We recently had to cancel our cruise because of an emergency surgery for our dog.  We had Platinum coverage.  The cancel for any reason benefit does not refund you in cash, but in FCC, which were available immediately to us.  Two days later we used the credits to book another cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Princess Platinum insurance is indeed a cancel for any reason plan. It provides 100% in future cruise credits. You would have to check further for exact details.

It appears that your situation is a cancel for covered reason. You would have to check with Princess or Aon about the exact terms. You should have a copy of the Princess Protection Policy that was sent to you by e-mail. You probably will have to review all the details and boring fine print.

Regarding your questions about replacing passengers in the cabin you really have to speak with Princess. If booked via a T.A. or CVP go through them. I do think if you booked directly the normal customer service staff probably would have difficulty helping you, but you may be forced to contact them.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

This is not correct.  We recently had to cancel our cruise because of an emergency surgery for our dog.  We had Platinum coverage.  The cancel for any reason benefit does not refund you in cash, but in FCC, which were available immediately to us.  Two days later we used the credits to book another cruise.

I’m glad that worked out for you, but it’s not the same as getting a refund, and doesn’t work out for everyone.

1 minute ago, Mark_K said:

I’m glad that worked out for you, but it’s not the same as getting a refund, and doesn’t work out for everyone.

You specifically said that Princess Platinum insurance is NOT a “cancel for any reason” plan. It is. It works basically for anyone who cancels for anything other than covered medical issues.  It is a 100% refund in FCC, not cash.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I am not exactly familiar with this plan, but... Cancel for any reason is usually an add-on to regular trip insurance--and is also often separate.  If you have an insurable reason for cancelling, which this may well qualify as, you may have an option of using the regular insurance and getting actual money back.  But, in general, decisions made early may commit you to a path of either regular insurance or cancel for any reason coverage.  Please read over all of your insurance documents and proceed with your eyes open.   

For what is it worth:

1.  If the injury is covered by "cancel for any reason", you will get back the cruise fare minus the insurance cost.

2.  If the injury is not covered, you will get the cruise fare back as Future Cruise Credit.

3.  One person on the booking needs to remain/other name can be replaced.  There may be a last minute passenger fee.

I speak from experience.

December 1, fell and broke my wrist in Hawaii

December 7, surgery to fix and plate

December 10, flew back to California

December 23, flew to Seattle

January 4, flew back to California

6 weeks post fracture, began physical therapy

You are able to travel.  She will need assistance.  Nothing can be done while healing.  I was given the option of a removable cast for 6 weeks, or have the surgery and be castless (sort of).  I am guessing, that some orthopedic doctors might want a full hard cast.

Hope she is comfortable and will consider going on the cruise.  The wait staff will even cut up her meals.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

You specifically said that Princess Platinum insurance is NOT a “cancel for any reason” plan. It is. It works basically for anyone who cancels for anything other than covered medical issues.  It is a 100% refund in FCC, not cash.  

Yes, I neglected to mention I was talking about getting a refund. Mea Culpa.

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

For what is it worth:

1.  If the injury is covered by "cancel for any reason", you will get back the cruise fare minus the insurance cost.

2.  If the injury is not covered, you will get the cruise fare back as Future Cruise Credit.

3.  One person on the booking needs to remain/other name can be replaced.  There may be a last minute passenger fee.

I speak from experience.

December 1, fell and broke my wrist in Hawaii

December 7, surgery to fix and plate

December 10, flew back to California

December 23, flew to Seattle

January 4, flew back to California

6 weeks post fracture, began physical therapy

You are able to travel.  She will need assistance.  Nothing can be done while healing.  I was given the option of a removable cast for 6 weeks, or have the surgery and be castless (sort of).  I am guessing, that some orthopedic doctors might want a full hard cast.

Hope she is comfortable and will consider going on the cruise.  The wait staff will even cut up her meals.

Wow this sounds similar to her! Yes I am hoping she will still come with us and we can pamper her. The wait staff will cut her meals for her? That would be awesome and of course we can also do it. We are fine with taking the FCC for them if they decide not to go, or if possible replacing them with my sisters (but it sounds like one of them has to remain on the booking and I doubt he would choose between them LOL). We all live close to the SF port so easy to rebook them on another cruise with the FCC - and perhaps invite ourselves along...Thank you all for your responses 🙂 

• Like 1