MSC Canceled the Armonia April 4th.The Day before Sailing The rest of the story.

Posted (edited)

I wrote previously that our cruise from Rome to Venice was cancel the day before we were due to sail. We were already at the port when we got a text that the sailing was cancelled. What really shows how good a company is the handling of problems due to "operational reasons". Immigration problems from a previous port came to a head in Barcelona and were not resolved and therefore our cruise was canceled 18 hours before boarding. We had difficulty finding a phone number to call for help from MSC as none were included in the text of our cancelation. We were asked to contact office for additional compensation. 

On the plus side we did buy the insurance from MSC and they were very nice and told us that since it was an immigration problem that is not a covered item. MSC called several times asking us to cancel our cruise so we could get our refund faster. We were offered a 50% future cruise credit.MSC refunded our money with in a week. Generali worked with us and we were able to get about 60% of our money back but due the a non covered reason given by MSC the rest would not be returned. 

The down side of dealing with MSC. Repeated calls where many apologies are given but little follow through. We called to get our future cruise credit and were assured 3 times it was there. It wasn't. Giving a reason for ship not showing up day before sailing that is not covered by the insurance that MSC uses was mind boggling and costly.

MSC has fantastic prices and goes so many places I want to see...but the follow through and my money loss has just put me off.

Edited by merryjewelhound
spelling corrections
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not doubting you, but I find it outrageous that insurance wouldn't make you whole for this.  Did MSC refund 100% of the cruise fare you paid plus give you 50% FCC?  Were you hoping insurance would cover the additional hotel, meals & travel expenses caused by the cancellation?

I'd think that would've somehow been covered.  The devil is in the details and policy fine print...

Wonder if you would have had better luck purchasing a policy on your own and not through MSC?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, merryjewelhound said:

On the plus side we did buy the insurance from MSC and they were very nice and told us that since it was an immigration problem that is not a covered item. MSC called several times asking us to cancel our cruise so we could get our refund faster. We were offered a 50% future cruise credit.MSC refunded our money with in a week. Generali worked with us and we were able to get about 60% of our money back but due the a non covered reason given by MSC the rest would not be returned. 

That is the problem of buying insurance from the carrier.  They will have their own exclusions.

I prefer to buy third party insurance, and I expect to be fully covered if the fault lies with the carrier.

• Thanks 1

MSC did refund all of our fare promptly within 10 days. We have written and called and no FCC. We last spoke with someone Friday 5/3. It is a very small amount so more the principal rather than dollars. We also spoke with them about the exclusion for their insurance for immigration issues and have had no luck. We have done 4 or 5 repositionings with another cruise line and have traveled to Europe on our own so we knew we could handle what needed to be done. IF we had flown round trip just for an MSC cruise and this happened and we were a first time cruiser we would have been lost.

I agree getting insurance not with the cruise line is wise.

44 minutes ago, merryjewelhound said:

MSC did refund all of our fare promptly within 10 days. We have written and called and no FCC. We last spoke with someone Friday 5/3. It is a very small amount so more the principal rather than dollars. We also spoke with them about the exclusion for their insurance for immigration issues and have had no luck. We have done 4 or 5 repositionings with another cruise line and have traveled to Europe on our own so we knew we could handle what needed to be done. IF we had flown round trip just for an MSC cruise and this happened and we were a first time cruiser we would have been lost.

I agree getting insurance not with the cruise line is wise.

I am very confused.  MSC promptly refunded 100% of your fare, but you also said something about 60%.  Is your issue the FCC?

A 50% FCC was promised but not given. Insurance only paid about 60% of claim due to MSC issues of immigration in Barcelona (previous port to ours) that was not covered by MSC insurance policy that we purchased through MSC. There has been NOTHING given by MSC for trouble caused other than the refund. 

18 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I am very confused.  MSC promptly refunded 100% of your fare, but you also said something about 60%.  Is your issue the FCC?

I want to be clear that we have received little to no support from MSC after being left at the port including the the FCC promised. I lost money trying to cruise with them. A cruise from Rome is more than just the cruise fare. It is the flight over and the hotel. We were fortunate that we had other activities. If this had been out first cruise ever we would have not known what to do.

I can understand insurance excluding claims due to the traveler having issues with immigration, but excluding claims because of immigration issues unrelated to the traveler that occurred on a different sailing?  That's outrageous. 😡

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I can understand insurance excluding claims due to the traveler having issues with immigration, but excluding claims because of immigration issues unrelated to the traveler that occurred on a different sailing?  That's outrageous. 😡

I absolutely agree. But we looked and it was excluded. I did find the insurance company helpful and willing to answer questions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, merryjewelhound said:

A 50% FCC was promised but not given. Insurance only paid about 60% of claim due to MSC issues of immigration in Barcelona (previous port to ours) that was not covered by MSC insurance policy that we purchased through MSC. There has been NOTHING given by MSC for trouble caused other than the refund. 

Out of interest what did the insurance pay or not pay?  

From what I understand MSC refunded 100% the cruise and offered (but not yet received) a 50% credit as compensation.

Was it the other costs (hotel, travel and food) that you submitted to the insurance?   If they paid 60%, which ones did they pay and which ones reject?

I have the standard travel insurance (e.g. just medical expenses) which doesn't cover travel disruption, and wondered the value for money. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

Out of interest what did the insurance pay or not pay?  

From what I understand MSC refunded 100% the cruise and offered (but not yet received) a 50% credit as compensation.

Was it the other costs (hotel, travel and food) that you submitted to the insurance?   If they paid 60%, which ones did they pay and which ones reject?

I have the standard travel insurance (e.g. just medical expenses) which doesn't cover travel disruption, and wondered the value for money. 

The insurance did not cover trip interruption as the reason they did not show up was not a valid reason due to the immigration issue. Hubby handled the paperwork so what was covered and not I didn't deal with. 

I honestly don’t understand the point here

you weren’t able to get on the ship, hence travel had been fully refunded.
as a goodwill gesture you were promised a 50% FCC that will eventually come. 

bear in mind that MSC wasn’t at fault as it was Spanish authority to block the ship from leaving as it turned out that few passengers from South America had fake visas

now, insurance paid 60% of your expenses and are you still looking to get the other 40% fully covered? Like a completely free holiday? 

14 minutes ago, merryjewelhound said:

maclover, if you don't understand. I don't think I can explain it to you. 

It seems that I’m not the only one confused here as you had to clarify few times about what you got already and what you are looking for

• Like 2