Downloading maps on ships wifi

I will be cruising in Europe this summer and plan to download a map of the next port each evening on the ship using the ships wifi (one day at a time).  I am wondering if that will be possible since the ships wifi may be too weak to do that kind of download. I am doubtful that my phones memory will handle more than a few of these maps so I won't be able to do this at home before my trip.  Has anyone else done this while on the ship?

I use an app called PocketEarth which holds maps in the phone's memory.

In past years I always downloaded them before leaving home because the ship's Internet access was so poor. With the advent of Princess using Starlink to access the Internet, I've easily been able to download maps on board. It's no problem at all.

Unless you have a very old phone you should be able to download every map before leaving home.  The issues would be photos - moved those to a Sim or the cloud, need to clear your browsing history or a bunch of unused apps.

36 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try loading each of the maps at home.  I always forget to clear my browser history which will certainly help.

I find Google Maps the best and they work offline as well. Stopped us from heading in the wrong direction many times. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, leck57 said:

I find Google Maps the best and they work offline as well.

That's what I use. The only downside is that they don't offer walking directions offline, so you have to either trust the driving directions or wing it.

Edited by mahasamatman

2 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

That's what I use. The only downside is that they don't offer walking directions offline, so you have to either trust the driving directions or wing it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they at least show the direction you are heading and plot the path you have walked. I'm a bit lazy so if I'm at a hotel I still prefer a hard copy printed map and use that if they have one. Recently though I have started to use GMaps a bit more.