Dietary restrictions

My father in law who will be cruising in June has a very long list of dietary restrictions (heart and kidney disease and diabetes) who and when should he talk to be sure his needs are met?  He will have a room with a butler.

Some examples of what he can't have:

tomatoes

potatoes

dairy (milk, cream, ice cream, cheese)

sugar

broccoli

carrots

bananas

caffeine 

sodium

veggies with potassium 

processed meat

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, carolcp said:

My father in law who will be cruising in June has a very long list of dietary restrictions (heart and kidney disease and diabetes) who and when should he talk to be sure his needs are met?  He will have a room with a butler.

tomatoes

potatoes

sugar

broccoli

carrots

bananas

caffeine 

sodium

veggies with potassium 

processed meat

from the website but let your butler know as well as he brings canapes 

Please advise Regent Seven Seas Cruises of any special dietary requirements you may have 120 days prior to sailing for voyages embarking in the US and 150 days for all other voyages, by sending an e-mail to res.apac@rssc.com. General dietary needs such as low salt or low cholesterol foods can be satisfied onboard the ship just by speaking with the dining wait staff.

Edited by Lonedaddy

Lonedaddy, thank you for screen shot from the website. I must have missed that one with all the others I have been looking at.  We are inside the 150 days so hopefully on the ship we can get it taken care of.  

Perhaps divide the list into what he can't have eg allergies/intolerances, and what he can have but needs to be careful with eg there the sodium and sugar in absolutely everything we eat so he can have this, just needs to be careful with amount

It was my experience on Regent ships that they don't understand the difference between no sugar and no sugar added.  There are naturally high glucose foods that their "no sugar added" statements don't take into account.

Perhaps also making a list of foods he can have would work better helping them understand what to prepare.

• Like 2

They will give him a menu to fill out the day before. They take dietary restrictions very seriously.  Someone from food services will meet with you. Do notify them in advance.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:47 PM, carolcp said:

Lonedaddy, thank you for screen shot from the website. I must have missed that one with all the others I have been looking at.  We are inside the 150 days so hopefully on the ship we can get it taken care of.  

Is your father in law in Penthouse or higher cabin? If not, he doesn't have a butler to take care of his dietary restrictions. Otherwise, he might need to go to the Restaurant Manager rf the Executive Concierge to arrange for a very restrictive diet.

On 5/8/2024 at 12:02 AM, drkitkat123 said:

Perhaps divide the list into what he can't have eg allergies/intolerances, and what he can have but needs to be careful with eg there the sodium and sugar in absolutely everything we eat so he can have this, just needs to be careful with amount

Unfortunately all the items on his list are restricted by medical necessity.  He has a butler so they should be able to assist in this as SWFLAOK says.    

Dealing with someone who is anaphylactic to just about everything is not fun. This will be the first time for us on my time dining and my DW is concerned. Regent has been notified already but here are a few tips we have found that helped. Request a similar area in the dining room that comes under the same head waiter. Make sure the Maitre d is aware of your issues. Print off a copy of all the known allergies/intolerances and present to the Maitre d on boarding day. I also have a copy on my phone that I show to every waiter that I do not recognize. I have found Regent to be very respectful of allergies in the past. At the buffet find who is in charge and give them the same info. Repeat for every eating venue that you go to. Lastly, carry your epi pen!

• Like 1

On Voyager we shared a table one evening with a man who was coeliac, therefore gluten free. All was fine until his dessert arrived which wasn’t what he had pre-ordered. He asked the waiter to check if it was gf. He came back and said he had asked the chef and it was ‘nearly gluten-free’ 😳!

5 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

On Voyager we shared a table one evening with a man who was coeliac, therefore gluten free. All was fine until his dessert arrived which wasn’t what he had pre-ordered. He asked the waiter to check if it was gf. He came back and said he had asked the chef and it was ‘nearly gluten-free’ 😳!

We shared a table with a lovely lady who said she was celiac/gluten free.  The waiter was very good about pointing out such dishes  - or ones that could be made gluten free.  When it came to desserts, she ordered a very non gluten free one.  The waiter said "sorry, that cannot be made gluten free"  She replied "that's ok. i just try to stay lower gluten"

On 5/13/2024 at 5:18 PM, carolcp said:

Unfortunately all the items on his list are restricted by medical necessity.  He has a butler so they should be able to assist in this as SWFLAOK says.    

The butler should definitely be able to assist. I would additionally check with the maitre'd at the restaurants as he goes for each meal. And if he can find the executive concierge at their desk, or locae the restaurant manager on board that will help.

I was on the Voyager this past February and there were two people who had dietary restrictions who were part of the group of Social Solos.  When I was at a table with either of them they normally had the waiter appear without needing to request help with a printed list of what they were having that evening.  I do not know what they had to do to arrange this each day, but this was done for every night that I was with either of them.  

We are having the guest prepare a printed list of the items he is not allowed to consume.  We dropped the ball in not getting this to the team far out in advance of the cruise. Hopefully they will be able to accommodate without too much issue.  

On 5/5/2024 at 9:57 AM, carolcp said:

tomatoes

potatoes

sugar

broccoli

carrots

bananas

caffeine 

sodium

veggies with potassium 

processed meat

Sounds like we aren’t talking epi-pen and allergies which is good.  I think you make this list a little clearer.  

Dairy Free, sugar free, low salt to start.

Veggies with potassium is vague, because carrots and broccoli are low potassium, the potatoes and tomatoes are high.  As for the carrots,  he isn’t suppose to eat a plate full, but I’m assuming since carrots are is most stocks, is that a real problem?  

I think it would be up to him to avoid the processed meats and caffeine , in most cases.  

Best of luck,  I had a Girl Scout of few years ago with the full blown nut, egg, wheat and egg allergy!  Thank god mom give me the approved snack list.