Will humidifier set off smoke detector / alarm

Posted (edited)

Recovering from surgery and will need to use a humidifier but I’ve heard so many stories about smoke alarms accidently triggering even from just showers and leaving the bathroom door open. Is it safe to bring it onboard? The device outputs cold mist and is collapsible for travel. 

I need it per my doctors recommendation but I’m also very concerned about potentially causing an issue with the smoke alarm and then being in hot water with the ship.
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? 

Thank you! 

IMG_6821.jpeg

IMG_6822.jpeg

Edited by Bryton-1

26 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I'm not sure you are allowed to bring a stand alone humidifier on the ship. 

It's not explicitly on the prohibited items list - https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

However, it does contain a fan and it's not battery-powered so it may be subject to scrutiny and possible confiscation depending on who is evaluating it and their interpretation of the rules.

Just don't tell them where and when you are cruising and  if they say no contact them a couple of times if you get a yes save it in  writing then ask them what needs to be done to notify the ship 🙂

Posted (edited)

I have no clue why my second paragraph didn’t post, I apologize. Yes, I work with the access desk on every sailing and they’ve been phenomenal! The unit has been approved without hesitation. My biggest concern was if the smoke alarm would be triggered in the cabin by the humidifier. Sorry for not clarifying earlier. I completed the form (and received approval) at the time of booking. They’re a delightful team to work with. 

Thank you all for jumping in. 

Edited by Bryton-1

It should not set off the smoke detectors unless the humidity in your cabin reaches 85%. That's pretty extreme humidity. 

I take along a nice Accurite Hygrometer and stick it magnetically on the wall in my cabin. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8

You could take one of those along and if it looks like your humdifier is getting up to 80%, you can turn it off so it doesn't set off any alarms.

3 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

It should not set off the smoke detectors unless the humidity in your cabin reaches 85%. That's pretty extreme humidity. 

I take along a nice Accurite Hygrometer and stick it magnetically on the wall in my cabin. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8

You could take one of those along and if it looks like your humdifier is getting up to 80%, you can turn it off so it doesn't set off any alarms.

Interesting! How did you find out about the ~80/95%

7 hours ago, Bryton-1 said:

Interesting! How did you find out about the ~80/95%

My father was an HVAC engineer and salesman. He used to take me to work and on job sites. He taught me how to get the lime scale off humidifiers, how to check the general humidity of places and what the ideal should be for a regular residential house. I also got to see clean rooms and the filtration levels for those. My grandfather (his father) was also in HVAC and was a maintenance technician and would take me on his rounds whenever I visited.

I didn't go into HVAC, myself, but still remember all of it.

On a related note I wonder how effective is a humdifier in a ships cabin. It seems to me the ships HVAC system may swamp any effect.  I am no expert, just wondering.

Just as an aside, have heard of cabin smoke alarms being triggered by excessive steam from the shower when the shower door was left open. Really surprised the shower occupant when fire crew entered the cabin. Not sure if any alarm sensitivity adjustment was required…

On 5/5/2024 at 2:56 PM, Bryton-1 said:

Recovering from surgery and will need to use a humidifier but I’ve heard so many stories about smoke alarms accidently triggering even from just showers and leaving the bathroom door open

1 hour ago, Crown Vic said:

Just as an aside, have heard of cabin smoke alarms being triggered by excessive steam from the shower when the shower door was left open. Really surprised the shower occupant when fire crew entered the cabin. Not sure if any alarm sensitivity adjustment was required…

Yep! Agreed!