Just off MG - Noted A Few Changes

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

That stuff burns me up.  Where did you eat?  Or was the cheesy potatoes good enough,

I had the crab cake and jambalaya pasta appetizers. Then the cheesy potatoes and veggies. Bitter n blanc for dessert. It was enough to get me by.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RLM77 said:

That looks almost exactly like the meal we were served.  Very overcooked, black something or other inside, and tasted burned.  I stand by my original description of "almost inedible."

Black something or other is the mushroom pate and that is the color it should be.

PXL_20240428_110024546.jpg.5d1bcda8755d2

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Black something or other is the mushroom pate and that is the color it should be.

Exactly.

I have had the Beef Wellington several times on Carnival Cruises since the new menu came out (not on MG, however), and it is one of my favorite entrees in the MDR.

17 hours ago, RLM77 said:

The reduction in breakfast choices at Java Blue was consistent each day (of a B2B by the way).  The grab and go display case was empty and refrigeration clearly turned off.  I don't believe this was a restocking issue.

I completely agree with you about grabbing a burger or other "lunch" item right before closing.  In fact, I wish they would hold these venues open until around 7 PM on casual nights.  Would probably not be worth their time on elegant nights as far more people want to use the MDR on those nights.

Well apparently the food is back in the grab & go case this week. Our kids just sent me the below picture of their breakfast they picked up at Java Blue this morning. They said it was in the case to the left of the coffee. To the right of the coffee, they saw all kinds of pastries, croissants, raspberry danishes, sandwiches, etc. I asked them to send pictures of the cases if they go there tomorrow morning.

JBfood5-8-24.thumb.png.d513c4dbbfe9eaf2bf0a8a56a5da5d75.png

• Like 2

On 5/6/2024 at 7:50 PM, Saint Greg said:

I was disappointed with mine on jubilee. It was way overcooked. The inside of the pastry was black. It just tasted burned. The cheesy potatoes were good though.

IMG_0075.thumb.jpeg.217549986a5119fb6ba2285ec311e8d0.jpeg

This looks nothing like the Beef Wellington we had on the Magic.  Ours was perfectly cooked medium rare, and was our favorite meal of the cruise.  Yours just looks nasty.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I had the crab cake and jambalaya pasta appetizers. Then the cheesy potatoes and veggies. Bitter n blanc for dessert. It was enough to get me by.

What did you think of the Emeril items on the menu?

59 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

This looks nothing like the Beef Wellington we had on the Magic.  Ours was perfectly cooked medium rare, and was our favorite meal of the cruise.  Yours just looks nasty.

Greg has a lot of pull on Carnival….🫡

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

What did you think of the Emeril items on the menu?

I’m a jambalaya pasta fan. The one they serve is light on stuff. I’ve only had the appetizer portion and I’ve had it twice. Once I had two pieces of sausage in it. The other time it was just noodles. 

I didn’t like the crawfish strudel but I have read others did. I did like the shrimp and crab cake. I did like the fried tomatoes. I did like the coffee roast duck. I think that’s all I’ve had off of those menus. But I do like the addition.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m a jambalaya pasta fan. The one they serve is light on stuff. I’ve only had the appetizer portion and I’ve had it twice. Once I had two pieces of sausage in it. The other time it was just noodles. 

I didn’t like the crawfish strudel but I have read others did. I did like the shrimp and crab cake. I did like the fried tomatoes. I did like the coffee roast duck. I think that’s all I’ve had off of those menus. But I do like the addition.

Thanks.  The coffee roast duck I thought was outstanding, echo the comment on the additions.

• Like 1

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks.  The coffee roast duck I thought was outstanding, echo the comment on the additions.

I thought it was good enough to be in a specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The mushroom duxelle is part of what makes Beef Wellington Beef Wellington.  Cooked mushrooms often have a dark, dirty appearance, but darned if they aren't tasty!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I thought the Coffee Roast Duck was tasty on Carnival Jubilee last week.  But it looked like they carved it from the bird, whapped it on the counter a couple of times, and then served it.  Tenderized after cooking, maybe.  😛

2 hours ago, PlanoTim said:

I thought the Coffee Roast Duck was tasty on Carnival Jubilee last week.  But it looked like they carved it from the bird, whapped it on the counter a couple of times, and then served it.  Tenderized after cooking, maybe.  😛

I really do not remember other than thinking this was one small duck, but who knows.  I do remember it exceedinbg expectations, but most of Emeril selections did that. 

• Like 1

Coffee Roast Duck.  Does this actually TASTE like coffee?  My hubby loves duck, but doesn't do coffee.  (I know, I know, he's not really human.  BUT he doesnt begrudge me my coffee and I have grown accustomed to having him around.....)  I'm just wondering if I should steer him away from it.  🙂

Just now, EL Pitman said:

Coffee Roast Duck.  Does this actually TASTE like coffee?  My hubby loves duck, but doesn't do coffee.  (I know, I know, he's not really human.  BUT he doesnt begrudge me my coffee and I have grown accustomed to having him around.....)  I'm just wondering if I should steer him away from it.  🙂

I didn't think it tasted of coffee.  I don't like coffee at all (a mild tiramisu is about my limit) and thought the duck was tasty.

35 minutes ago, EL Pitman said:

I think more like light molasses. Not at all coffee.

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I had the fried catfish on the Paradise. It was very good.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I think more like light molasses. Not at all coffee.

Agreed, far exceeded my expectations.

Edited by jimbo5544

44 minutes ago, TPG40 said:

I had the fried catfish on the Paradise. It was very good.

That was one I have not tried, but as a rule I have tried them every night.

2 hours ago, EL Pitman said:

It does not taste like coffee at all.  I've ordered it on 3 of my last 4 cruises and it has been consistently one of my best meals in the MDR each time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EL Pitman said:

I had the Coffee Roast Duck on Celebration.  I'll be honest, I love duck - so I don't think I even realized there was "Coffee" in the title lol.  I just saw duck and ordered.  It had been a long day...

Anyway, I say all this to say - it was really good!  And I wouldn't have known it was "Coffee Roast Duck" until reading this thread lol.  So I will agree, no, there isn't a coffee taste.  Definitely recommend though, one of the better MDR dishes I've had.

• Like 1