Ovation of the seas head to San Fran - medical emergency

Captain announced this afternoon that we’d be making full steam to San Francisco to medivac a passenger. He estimated that a helicopter could meet us at 200 miles out. At this point, he was not willing to project what this would mean toward our ETA in Vancouver, BC. 

Will update as we learn more. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, prayers for the passengers and their family. Glad they were able to get this done - it’s been windy! 

I haven’t heard any announcements about our schedule and any potential changes on arrival time in Vancouver. Did I miss it somehow?

• Like 1

Just now, Keyer1 said:

where were you to get this pic?! 

We watched the helicopter come close to the ship on our balcony, then turned on our stateroom TV to watch the rescue on the channel with the bridge camera. This is just a photo I took of the TV. Here is another photo I took from our balcony, where you can see the refueling arm. (Not sure what it is really called.)

IMG_5807.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, DandDM said:

Yes, prayers for the passengers and their family. Glad they were able to get this done - it’s been windy! 

I haven’t heard any announcements about our schedule and any potential changes on arrival time in Vancouver. Did I miss it somehow?

No update yet regarding our arrival time into Vancouver. Hoping the Captain says something about it at his normal noontime address to the ship, which should be in about 30 minutes. (Our clocks go ahead 1 hour tonight, so we aren’t on Pacific time yet.)

• Thanks 1

Captain just announced that the Ovation will not arrive until 2pm on Thursday. Apparently we don’t just have the delay due to diverting course, but also need to wait for the tide to get under the bridge. 

15 hours ago, jimdalva said:

I hope all are OK, but, OOH NO. We board May 9 in Vancouver. 

We won't be docking until 2pm on Thursday.

I know there are bigger issues some are dealing with, but…. will have diamond drink vouchers for that last day?

12 minutes ago, DandDM said:

I know there are bigger issues some are dealing with, but…. will have diamond drink vouchers for that last day?

Based on previous delayed cruises, yes but since you are on board you really should ask non board for a definitive answer.  

DS is on the 9 May cruise. Shouldn't have any itinerary changes since they were departing YVR at 1:00 am. OBC for missed lunch but wonder if they'll delay dinner since they won't start check in until 5:30 pm. So boarding at 6:30 to 7:00 for most.

Posted (edited)
Just now, drjohn4 said:

US Navy is impressive, doing an evacuation that far out at sea.  True professionals.

Captain or Cruise Director (can’t remember which, since they were doing announcements about the evacuation within moments of each other) said it was the US Air Force who handled the rescue. In either case, I agree with your sentiments…the US military forces are amazing!

Edited by bearandbee
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, bearandbee said:

Captain or Cruise Director (can’t remember which, since they were doing announcements about the evacuation within moments of each other) said it was the US Air Force who handled the rescue. In either case, I agree with your sentiments…the US military forces are amazing!

Yes, U S. Air Force.

You can clearly see it on the helicopter.

* Just hoping that the passenger evacuated is ok.

• Like 2

I won’t go into specifics, but somebody just posted on Reddit praising the Royal Medical team for saving their dad. He is in the hospital recuperating. 

• Like 9