Embarkation Day Lunch

Selbourne

5 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Depends on your check-in time and cabin grade. Probably Lido/buffet or Golden Lion.

When we were in PG on QM2 we had embarkation lunch in the PG restaurant. We are BC on QA and were rather hoping to have lunch in the BC restaurant as soon as we embark. Do you think that’s unlikely? 

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

When we were in PG on QM2 we had embarkation lunch in the PG restaurant. We are BC on QA and were rather hoping to have lunch in the BC restaurant as soon as we embark. Do you think that’s unlikely? 

I can't speak for the QA but my experiences on the other Queens is that the Britannia Club is not open on embarkation day.  If it is open on the QA someone will no doubt tell us.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Very. It is a Grills perk.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:18 AM, Selbourne said:

On 5/7/2024 at 7:32 AM, exlondoner said:

Very. It is a Grills perk.

In the Maiden embarkation day we were given lunch along with Princess Grill and Britannia Club passengers in the Britannia Upper restaurant in addition to a group of Cunard executives who were also dining on the adjacent table including Angus Struthers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

In the Maiden embarkation day we were given lunch along with Princess Grill and Britannia Club passengers in the Britannia Upper restaurant in addition to a group of Cunard executives who were also dining on the adjacent table including Angus Struthers.

Thanks. As long as it’s a sit down restaurant lunch that will be fine. We avoid buffets like the plague! We have a 12.45pm embarkation so hopefully will be on board in time. 

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

A one off for the maiden voyage I should imagine. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. As long as it’s a sit down restaurant lunch that will be fine. We avoid buffets like the plague! We have a 12.45pm embarkation so hopefully will be on board in time. 

Lunch starts at 1, but I doubt it will be available in BC. The pub is very well spoken of.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

A one off for the maiden voyage I should imagine. 

But the question was 'on embarkation day' which is how I responded.

Having had a degree of experience I do recall on one occasion in Southampton when the Queens Grill was undergoing carpet replacement on the day of embarkation and all QG Guests took lunch in the Todd English.

35 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

But the question was 'on embarkation day' which is how I responded.

Having had a degree of experience I do recall on one occasion in Southampton when the Queens Grill was undergoing carpet replacement on the day of embarkation and all QG Guests took lunch in the Todd English.

I’m not sure I see the distinction you are making. On normal embarkation days only the Grills passengers get lunch. 

With your experience, I’m sure you also remember the days of QE2 when in transit QGs were sent off to the Princess Grill for lunch.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I have never seen it open on embarkation day for lunch on the other ships . 

14 hours ago, Selbourne said:

The only sit down restaurants available will be the buffet or Golden Lion for non grills guests. I think the opening of Britannia was something special for the Maiden Voyage. I personally always eat in the Golden Lion on embarkation day. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I have never seen it open on embarkation day for lunch on the other ships . 

Thanks. Does the Britannia restaurant open for lunch on embarkation day, or is everyone other than grills passengers expected to use the buffet?

1 minute ago, Winifred 22 said:

The only sit down restaurants available will be the buffet or Golden Lion for non grills guests. I think the opening of Britannia was something special for the Maiden Voyage. I personally always eat in the Golden Lion on embarkation day. 

Thanks. You posted that info as I posted my question about that! On the basis that we avoid buffets we will aim for the Golden Lion (assuming that it will be open). I just hope that we can get in, as I should imagine that it’s where those ‘in the know’ head! Am I correct in thinking that the food in the Golden Lion is included in the fare (free)?

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. Does the Britannia restaurant open for lunch on embarkation day, or is everyone other than grills passengers expected to use the buffet?

The Britannia restaurant either level doesn’t open for lunch on embarkation day.  For non grills the only options are the buffet or Golden Lion. 

Just now, Selbourne said:

Thanks. You posted that info as I posted my question about that! On the basis that we avoid buffets we will aim for the Golden Lion (assuming that it will be open). I just hope that we can get in, as I should imagine that it’s where those ‘in the know’ head! Am I correct in thinking that the food in the Golden Lion is included in the fare (free)?

Usually everything is included but according to reports on QA  there are several items now such as the burgers that are being charged for. The fish and chips which are very good are still free as is the ploughman’s. There are also apparently specials which are included such as the curry and the pie of the day. Apparently it’s a much larger space on QA so you should have no problem finding a seat. On the other Queens they don’t start serving food until 1. I usually order a drink and then it’s soon  time for food. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Good idea to have lunch there before everyone else finds out about it.

8 hours ago, Selbourne said:

All restaurants are open for passengers in transit, but only the Grills are open for embarking passengers.