What river cruises have open evening dining?

edgee

We are veteran ocean cruisers considering our first river cruise. In our limited research, seems that nearly all expect everyone to show up for dinner at a set time; either 7 or 7:30.Besides Tauck, are there any other river cruise lines that have open evening dining, meaning that you can sit down for dinner any time within, say a 2 or 3 hour period? Thanks.

Uniworld has open seating.  On our three river cruises with them the majority of people do seem to show up as soon as it opens but it is open seating in I believe a 2 hour window.  Will be sailing with them June 2 so can update then if needed.

• Thanks 1

I personally think that most "allow" you to show up in a set window and there is not a firm requirement for you to be there at 7pm sharp...  

But, many ships don't offer that many tables for two and then you don't have much choice where you sit and the table that has two seats open may be well through their meal as you are sitting down to start.

I know that most Viking River ships have limited to no tables for two.

The last Viking river cruise we were on there was a couple of couples that would come in 20-30 minutes later than most and they were then forced to choose between only one or two tables that had two seats side by side.  In some cases I noticed that they were at the same table but not beside each other.

Scenic has a time range but as others have said, most people show up within the first 10-15 minutes of opening. There are more tables for 2 though. There is also room service. 

Viking serve dinner between 7 - 9 pm; on board entertainment starts at 9pm

Funnily enough I have posted about this in the last couple of days:-

This is so because passengers go directly to the dining room after the Programme Manager's port talk and because they want first pick of the tables - and after a hard day's sightseeing - they're hungry.

I think 7pm is a late time to dine for many North Americans but for us 1pm and 7pm are the times we dine at home.

Later arrivals are served. Latest time we got to the table was 8:30pm, not ideal but forced on us, but we have been later than 7pm.

Regarding tables for two on Viking: there are two in the Aquavit Lounge and they tend to go to those who get there early. Whether you get a table to yourself depends on how crowded the boat is, how many people are dining off boat  and the time of year. We have been the only couple on a table for six and last year on the Rhone in August table for four were set up on the open prow and since most passengers preferred air-conditioning inside several couple has tables to themselves.

Scenic has more tables for two in the main restaurant but they are so close together they don't feel like separate tables

• Like 1

AMAWaterways doesn't have a set dining time, i.e. you dont have to be there when they open (though most everyone shows up within about 30min)  But there is certainly a limit to how late you could feasibly come and still expect to be fed.

Posted (edited)

I feel river cruises are much more programmed than their ocean equivalents.  The smaller size of the ship and passenger count pretty much drives all of the passengers to pretty much on the same schedule including dinner.

On my current Avalon cruise, dinner follows immediately after “happy hour” and the next day’s “port talk” by the cruise director.  Of course some people do show up a bit later for dinner, but it’s within a much tighter band than on ocean cruises and really only one fixed seating exists.  

There does seem to be more variability of timing at breakfast and dinner as these meals are buffet-based.  

The bottom line to me is that river cruises are just a bit different than ocean cruises and operate differently.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

If you get a chance take a tour of the kitchen facilities on board, you will then realise the need for a tighter serving time, I’ve wondered in the past how these guys and gals present such wonderful food from such cramped catering quarters but they do and very well. 

• Like 1

In my experience and opinion, it is the way that it is on a River ship because there is essentially one dining venue.  Yes, Viking has the Aquavit Terrace, but if weather is not on your side then the indoor portion is small and to my memory only 7 or 8 tables.  This also is just an extension of the dining room.  Same menu, same service standard.

On Viking anyway, you can see why they like a table to be fully seated before taking orders.  I have watched our serving team as they come out from the kitchen...  yes the kitchen is cramped and the kitchen team is small.  They prepare and serve the appetizers table by table, then bring the main, and then the dessert.  You can see the appetizers come with the team for each table in the same order that orders were taken.

It is not that they cannot prepare a appetizer for someone that comes "late" but the kitchen has moved past service of the appetizer for 98% of the guests. 

The dining staff and kitchen staff are also a very limited and tight group.  They have a lot of prep after dinner for breakfast and this team has been going since 5am'ish already and served three meals.  They don't have the same staff contingent to run different seatings.

River cruise dining is about efficiency of the kitchen and serving crew.

• Like 1