Drinking water on the ship

dasi11

What type of PURIFIED WATER (reverse osmosis) does MSC carry on the ship?  I don't mean tap water. 

I definitely do NOT mean mineral water or SPRING water.  I want CLEAN, mineral free water.  I drink about 6 bottles a day a day of reverse osmosis purified water.  It is all I drink all day.  Aquafina, Dasani, and other brands of purified water are fine but I can't find any listed in the drink menu's  Please if anyone can check for me what brand of  purified water do they offer on the ship?  Thanks so much.

19 minutes ago, dasi11 said:

What type of PURIFIED WATER (reverse osmosis) does MSC carry on the ship?  I don't mean tap water. 

I definitely do NOT mean mineral water or SPRING water.  I want CLEAN, mineral free water.  I drink about 6 bottles a day a day of reverse osmosis purified water.  It is all I drink all day.  Aquafina, Dasani, and other brands of purified water are fine but I can't find any listed in the drink menu's  Please if anyone can check for me what brand of  purified water do they offer on the ship?  Thanks so much.

Acqua Panna

"Acqua Panna is an Italian brand of bottled water and one of the world's largest bottled water brands. Acqua Panna takes its name from Villa Panna in the hills of Tuscany, where the natural spring was first discovered. "

This water is natural spring water that naturally has many minerals in it.  What other types of water do they have on the ship?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, dasi11 said:

What other types of water do they have on the ship?

Look on our counter. The smaller bottle if blown up looks like VERA ? With the red cap.

10 B.jpeg

Edited by morpheusofthesea

7 hours ago, dasi11 said:

Aquafina, Dasani, and other brands of purified water are fine but I can't find any listed in the drink menu's  Please if anyone can check for me what brand of  purified water do they offer on the ship? 

Depends on the route. Usually it is a Nestle brand, but it changes from time to time. 

Thanks.  I was hoping they had water that was not spring water on the ships.  Other cruise lines always have multiple types of water because of this issue.   If they have the Nestle Pure Life, then that works.  You sure that brand is on the ship?

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 1:15 AM, gizfish said:

The free water from restaurants, bars, and your bathroom tap is pure reverse osmosis water.  https://www.msccruises.com/int/about-msc/sustainability/planet. I am guessing your aversion to the tap water is because chlorine is added.  The water in restaurants and bars is generally filtered to remove the chlorine taste and smell.

That's not quite correct.  The statement from MSC says both reverse osmosis and evaporation.  Generally more is made by evaporation, since this uses waste heat from the diesel engines to evaporate the sea water, while reverse osmosis uses electricity to pump the sea water at high pressure, so evaporation is more efficient and more environmentally friendly.  And, the water in the restaurants and bars is filtered, but not because of taste or smell.  It is filtered to prevent chlorine scale formation in the water stations/bar guns.

So, further to the OP's question, the "tap water" is at least RO quality (and all RO water has some minerals in it), or better, as the RO water is mixed with the evaporator made (distilled) water.  I looked at quality reports for Nestle Pure Life, and found sodium, chloride, and sulfates as reportable quantities, and total dissolved solids in the range of 26-60ppm.  Shipboard RO units stop producing water, and dump the product back to sea at 20ppm, and evaporators dump at 10ppm, and generally operate at 1ppm total dissolved solids.  Chlorides come in at 6-16ppm, whereas the ship's water only has a residual chlorine of 0.5ppm.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

My take on the MSC water options -

I stick to a low sodium diet at home. We rarely eat out and never fast food, so that makes it easier. And tastebuds really do change over time to crave less salt, believe it or not! 

Within a few days on the Seascape in March, my ankles swelled up (which had never happened) and my blood pressure went up (I travel with a cuff).

I drink lots of (filtered) tap water at home but drank the bottled still and sparkling waters in the cabin (YC) and at meals. As others point out, there are various minerals in them including a lot of sodium. And of the food is all heavily salted.

SO...I found sodium-free canned club soda at the bars and filled up on the tap water in the buffet as well. Plus I loaded up on fruit - just about the only thing I could think of that didn't have added salt! Back to normal after one day at home!

• Like 1