First-time cruiser with many questions.

1 hour ago, BridgeMates said:

What do they have for breakfast?   Thanks.

It's a diner-type breakfast.  It had options like eggs, choice of meat, potatoes, toast.  They also had a few scrambles with eggs over potatoes with various topping options (including chili).  My wife was able to get just egg whites, so it seemed they were making the food to order on the "grills". 

I found this link that showed a menu, though it may have been updated as this doesn't look how I remember it:

Johnny_Rockets_Breakfast.jpg.optimal.jpg

One thing I cannot emphasize enough for first time cruisers is the importance of advanced specialty dining reservations. Yes, there are plenty of free dining options to choose from.  You can have a wonderful cruise without setting foot into a specialty restaurant. Often, however, newbies decide too late that they want to try one out only to discover they are all booked up on the first day.  You can look at the options on the Royal Caribbean website under Manage my cruise > Cruise planner.  As you mentioned, there are promos on cruise planner regularly. If you do decide to purchase one in advance, you can cancel 24hrs in advance of reservation and the $ will be credited to your onboard account.

If you haven't looked at cruise planner yet, I recommend you browse thru the various options just to get a feel for what the ship has to offer.  It is fun to look at. 

33 minutes ago, dragontrainer said:

It's a diner-type breakfast.  It had options like eggs, choice of meat, potatoes, toast.  They also had a few scrambles with eggs over potatoes with various topping options (including chili).  My wife was able to get just egg whites, so it seemed they were making the food to order on the "grills". 

I found this link that showed a menu, though it may have been updated as this doesn't look how I remember it:

Thank you.  I assume there is a charge for this......

31 minutes ago, dragontrainer said:

Following up on my own post, I found a menu online that looked more like I remember, but I'm not sure how acceptable it is to link to another cruise site, so decided not to include the link.

The main difference is there is not an omelet option shown, and they devote more space for "Premium" options that you pay extra for (Rocket Loaded Potatoes, Rocket Breakfast Burger, Maple Bacon Shake).

2 minutes ago, BridgeMates said:

The breakfast at Johnny Rockets is free.  They have some premium options you can pay extra for, and the menu is slightly updated from what is shown above, but there is no charge for the general breakfast.

I try to go early in the cruise (e.g., Day 2) and it's almost empty before word gets out and it fills up more later in the cruise.

8 minutes ago, dragontrainer said:

The breakfast at Johnny Rockets is free.  They have some premium options you can pay extra for, and the menu is slightly updated from what is shown above, but there is no charge for the general breakfast.

I try to go early in the cruise (e.g., Day 2) and it's almost empty before word gets out and it fills up more later in the cruise.

😄 Thanks again.

9 hours ago, BridgeMates said:

I did "the works" and had them take off the chilli. They scrambled eggs into potatoes and pepper and onions. My scrambled eggs werent cooked enough. If I go back I'm asking for well done scrambled eggs. Just a FYI. 

What's included in your ticket: 

- Meals in the Main Dining Room, Windjammer Buffet, Sorrento's Pizza, Cafe Promenade (sandwiches, desserts, drinks), Solarium Bistro Buffet, El Loco Fresh Mexican food 

- Water, tea, lemonade, fruit punch, and basic coffee 

- You don't need to buy water bottles.  Just bring a refillable bottle; the water onboard is purified and is equal to what you'd buy in a bottle.  Cups of water are sitting out any time the Windjammer is open.  Cafe Promenade and a couple other small venues have self-serve water sitting out all the time.

- Pools, shows, most entertainment 

What costs extra: 

- Specialty restaurants -- we don't bother 

- Alcoholic beverages, milkshakes, smoothies, and some other drinks 

- Room service is about $10 (for all you care to order) + you should tip your delivery person.  

- You can absolutely have a wonderful cruise without paying a penny extra onboard.  If you opt for extra-cost meals or alcoholic beverages, you can buy them individually OR get a package.  

How flexible is it if we want to eat at a slightly later time?

- You've signed up for Traditional Early Seating in the Main Dining Room.  If you eat in the dining room, it'll be at 5:00 -- it's organized so that everyone enters together, the wait staff serves appetizers at the same time, etc.  

- If you want to give up Early Seating, you can change to My Time Dining, which means you can choose different times each evening -- but your options'll all start later.  Like after 7:15.  

- You aren't locked into eating in the MDR every night.  With an 18-month old, dinner in the Windjammer Buffet might be easier.  The smaller venues (pizza, Mexican) are also open for dinner.  

Is it possible to just spend the day at CocoCay and not pay for any of these things?

- Absolutely yes. 

- The first thing you'll see when you walk onto the island is a giant pirate ship playground.  Your 18-month old'll love it.  No cost.  

- Choose a beach and grab some chairs.  

- Yes, water (and other drinks) are free at the two big buffets (Chill Grill and ... I forget the other name), but drinks aren't available until just before lunch opens.  No breakfast is available on the island either.  It'd be smart to bring some water from the ship.  

- It's a long walk from the ship to the island.  With a child, you'd better bring that stroller along.  

When we call in San Juan and Saint Marteen,

- You'll find shopping, food, entertainment around the port.  You can absolutely fill the time an 18-month old will "last" by just walking around.  You can take a taxi to a nearby beach.  

- Yes, the ship wants you to buy their shore excursions.  Private excursions can also be found on the internet.  

- Most excursions include transportation, but you should read the details and know exactly what's included (you might need to wear certain shoes or bring water, etc.).  Some excursions include food.  

- Regardless of what you do, be sure you know what time the ship will sail, and return to the ship with 2 hours to spare.  

I'm interested in the Old San Juan City Tour, but it says Restriction Minimum age 3 years. Since my child will be only 18 months, does that mean we can't take him? Even if I'm wearing him on a baby carrier?

Don't sign up for any excursion for which you're not qualified.  You don't want to be told at the port, "Sorry, you can't come."  

When you call in Bahamas and Saint Marteen, do you have to go through a border control process and get your passport stamped? How long does that process usually take? 

Every time you exit the ship, security will run your Ship IDs through a machine that keeps count of who's on /who's off the ship -- then they'll do the same when you return.  Few islands require passports -- your Ship ID is enough.  

How long does it usually take for everyone to disembark from the ship? Is it very slow? 

No.  We do self-disembarkation, and we get in line about 7:00.  We're always in our car headed North by 7:30.  But we're easy:  We're natural born Americans with the same last name, we pack light, carry our own stuff and don't buy anything.  

Are the shows aboard the ship free or do you have to pay for them?

Included in your ticket price. 

I don't see any options to pay for on-ship entertainment like the waterparks, so does that mean they are free and included in the price of the cruise?

I read that Royal Caribbean cruises have a childcare service where we can leave our child. Do I need to book that ahead of time?

Go to the daycare area shortly after boarding and sign your child up.  Children under 3 only get day care -- older children get great programming, but that's for future cruises.  I think it costs $10/hour.  They'll tell you how to sign up.  

Will we be able to buy diapers onboard the cruise?

Probably, but they'll cost so much more.  Bring what you need from home.  If you're flying in /can't carry everything, buy what you need in your port city the night before you board.  You do know you need to arrive a day ahead of boarding, don't you?  

Bring your own sippy cups, etc.  

Will we be able to get a crib for our suite?

You can request a Pack-n-Play.  I personally would bring my child's own sheets.  

Will we be able to get a diaper pail?

No.  Since you're in a suite, your Cabin Steward will come to your room twice a day; emptying the garbage will be a part of that service.  

Who do I contact about these? Do I need to request them ahead of the cruise, or once I've boarded the ship?

Two weeks before the cruise, email Special_Needs@RCCL.com .  Put the name of the ship and your sailing date in the title line, or they won't even open your email.  If these things aren't in place when you arrive, speak to your Cabin Steward; those guys are your front-line helpers in so many ways.  

Are compact, foldable strollers allowed onboard the ship at no extra charge? Is it convenient to move about the ship pushing a stroller?

If you're asking whether the ship provides them, no.  

If you're asking whether you can bring them, yes.  I don't think they'd be particularly useful around the ship, and I'd rather have the big, comfortable stroller for island stops. 

Other things you didn't know to ask: 

- Milk is available at no cost at breakfast.  Bring a couple cartons back to your room and store them in your cooler (like a refrigerator but not quite as cold). 

- Onboard you'll have all the food you need, but you will probably want to bring pre-wrapped snacks and juice boxes for your child during the island stops.  

- My smart daughter only allows my grandson to wear swimsuits in red, orange and yellow.  Most swimsuits are blue, and they blend into the pool.  Bright colors stand out -- safety first. 

- Have you downloaded the phone app yet?  It includes so much information -- you can see the MDR menus now, and later you'll be able to see show times, movie titles, etc.  

- Your child will be given a wristband, which he or she must wear the entire cruise.  If you were to be separated, it'd let the staff know the child's name, muster station, etc.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

What's included in your ticket: 

- Meals in the Main Dining Room, Windjammer Buffet, Sorrento's Pizza, Cafe Promenade (sandwiches, desserts, drinks), Solarium Bistro Buffet, El Loco Fresh Mexican food 

- Water, tea, lemonade, fruit punch, and basic coffee 

- You don't need to buy water bottles.  Just bring a refillable bottle; the water onboard is purified and is equal to what you'd buy in a bottle.  Cups of water are sitting out any time the Windjammer is open.  Cafe Promenade and a couple other small venues have self-serve water sitting out all the time.

- Pools, shows, most entertainment 

What costs extra: 

- Specialty restaurants -- we don't bother 

- Alcoholic beverages, milkshakes, smoothies, and some other drinks 

- Room service is about $10 (for all you care to order) + you should tip your delivery person.  

- You can absolutely have a wonderful cruise without paying a penny extra onboard.  If you opt for extra-cost meals or alcoholic beverages, you can buy them individually OR get a package.  

How flexible is it if we want to eat at a slightly later time?

- You've signed up for Traditional Early Seating in the Main Dining Room.  If you eat in the dining room, it'll be at 5:00 -- it's organized so that everyone enters together, the wait staff serves appetizers at the same time, etc.  

- If you want to give up Early Seating, you can change to My Time Dining, which means you can choose different times each evening -- but your options'll all start later.  Like after 7:15.  

- You aren't locked into eating in the MDR every night.  With an 18-month old, dinner in the Windjammer Buffet might be easier.  The smaller venues (pizza, Mexican) are also open for dinner.  

Is it possible to just spend the day at CocoCay and not pay for any of these things?

- Absolutely yes. 

- The first thing you'll see when you walk onto the island is a giant pirate ship playground.  Your 18-month old'll love it.  No cost.  

- Choose a beach and grab some chairs.  

- Yes, water (and other drinks) are free at the two big buffets (Chill Grill and ... I forget the other name), but drinks aren't available until just before lunch opens.  No breakfast is available on the island either.  It'd be smart to bring some water from the ship.  

- It's a long walk from the ship to the island.  With a child, you'd better bring that stroller along.  

When we call in San Juan and Saint Marteen,

- You'll find shopping, food, entertainment around the port.  You can absolutely fill the time an 18-month old will "last" by just walking around.  You can take a taxi to a nearby beach.  

- Yes, the ship wants you to buy their shore excursions.  Private excursions can also be found on the internet.  

- Most excursions include transportation, but you should read the details and know exactly what's included (you might need to wear certain shoes or bring water, etc.).  Some excursions include food.  

- Regardless of what you do, be sure you know what time the ship will sail, and return to the ship with 2 hours to spare.  

I'm interested in the Old San Juan City Tour, but it says Restriction Minimum age 3 years. Since my child will be only 18 months, does that mean we can't take him? Even if I'm wearing him on a baby carrier?

Don't sign up for any excursion for which you're not qualified.  You don't want to be told at the port, "Sorry, you can't come."  

When you call in Bahamas and Saint Marteen, do you have to go through a border control process and get your passport stamped? How long does that process usually take? 

Every time you exit the ship, security will run your Ship IDs through a machine that keeps count of who's on /who's off the ship -- then they'll do the same when you return.  Few islands require passports -- your Ship ID is enough.  

How long does it usually take for everyone to disembark from the ship? Is it very slow? 

No.  We do self-disembarkation, and we get in line about 7:00.  We're always in our car headed North by 7:30.  But we're easy:  We're natural born Americans with the same last name, we pack light, carry our own stuff and don't buy anything.  

Are the shows aboard the ship free or do you have to pay for them?

I don't see any options to pay for on-ship entertainment like the waterparks, so does that mean they are free and included in the price of the cruise?

I read that Royal Caribbean cruises have a childcare service where we can leave our child. Do I need to book that ahead of time?

Go to the daycare area shortly after boarding and sign your child up.  Children under 3 only get day care -- older children get great programming, but that's for future cruises.  I think it costs $10/hour.  They'll tell you how to sign up.  

Will we be able to buy diapers onboard the cruise?

Probably, but they'll cost so much more.  Bring what you need from home.  If you're flying in /can't carry everything, buy what you need in your port city the night before you board.  You do know you need to arrive a day ahead of boarding, don't you?  

Bring your own sippy cups, etc.  

Will we be able to get a crib for our suite?

You can request a Pack-n-Play.  I personally would bring my child's own sheets.  

Will we be able to get a diaper pail?

No.  Since you're in a suite, your Cabin Steward will come to your room twice a day; emptying the garbage will be a part of that service.  

Who do I contact about these? Do I need to request them ahead of the cruise, or once I've boarded the ship?

Two weeks before the cruise, email Special_Needs@RCCL.com .  Put the name of the ship and your sailing date in the title line, or they won't even open your email.  If these things aren't in place when you arrive, speak to your Cabin Steward; those guys are your front-line helpers in so many ways.  

Are compact, foldable strollers allowed onboard the ship at no extra charge? Is it convenient to move about the ship pushing a stroller?

If you're asking whether the ship provides them, no.  

If you're asking whether you can bring them, yes.  I don't think they'd be particularly useful around the ship, and I'd rather have the big, comfortable stroller for island stops. 

Other things you didn't know to ask: 

- Milk is available at no cost at breakfast.  Bring a couple cartons back to your room and store them in your cooler (like a refrigerator but not quite as cold). 

- Onboard you'll have all the food you need, but you will probably want to bring pre-wrapped snacks and juice boxes for your child during the island stops.  

- My smart daughter only allows my grandson to wear swimsuits in red, orange and yellow.  Most swimsuits are blue, and they blend into the pool.  Bright colors stand out -- safety first. 

- Have you downloaded the phone app yet?  It includes so much information -- you can see the MDR menus now, and later you'll be able to see show times, movie titles, etc.  

- Your child will be given a wristband, which he or she must wear the entire cruise.  If you were to be separated, it'd let the staff know the child's name, muster station, etc.  

Outstanding response.