Missing Activities on App

I have seen several threads on here, which I cannot find, stating they do not show any activities or menus for their cruise.  I too noticed that as I am repeating my previous Alaska cruise going the second week of the season instead of the end of the season as we did in '22 and could fully plan a month or more ahead of time.  The response was:

The information varies depending on ship and sail date. We also adjust or modify some setting on the Celebrity App. Hopefully will be available before you set sail, but it is not you will find it on embarkation day.

24 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

I have seen several threads on here, which I cannot find, stating they do not show any activities or menus for their cruise.  I too noticed that as I am repeating my previous Alaska cruise going the second week of the season instead of the end of the season as we did in '22 and could fully plan a month or more ahead of time.  The response was:

The information varies depending on ship and sail date. We also adjust or modify some setting on the Celebrity App. Hopefully will be available before you set sail, but it is not you will find it on embarkation day.

We always only trust the printed daily planner placed in our cabins every night for the next day.  We in fact have been told by several "in the know" cruise crew, on several of Celebrity ships, that the only thing to trust is the printed page.  The app is not often updated and is often, wrong.  

• Like 2

We sail in a little over a week, and the activities and entertainment are just starting to show up in the app - they seem to load in batches and by sailing day.  So for our 9-night cruise, we can see activities for the first 6 days or so.

• Like 1

For the general schedule - port times etc - simply look at a current cruise with the same itinerary.  Should be very similar.  For activities on board again a current planner will show a general.schedule.  For evening entertainment not likely you will know until shortly before boarding as entertainers often change.

15 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

We always only trust the printed daily planner placed in our cabins every night for the next day.  We in fact have been told by several "in the know" cruise crew, on several of Celebrity ships, that the only thing to trust is the printed page.  The app is not often updated and is often, wrong.  

I've actually seen changes between the time the daily planner was printed and the actual activity/event the next day. The app is frequently, but not always, more accurate. Apparently the daily planner is actually edited and printed onboard by the cruise director's staff, and the app probably relies on IT support off the ship. A lot depends on when the change occurs.

35 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

I think it's high time to get rid of the app. Their IT has enough trouble just keeping the website semi useful.

We use the app regularly while on board to check menus both lunch and dinner and message.  We have found app to be about as accurate for activities as the printed daily, with both location or time of activities being wrong on occasion.  
For doing check-in, the health questionnaire and the safety video the app is our preference. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

I think it's high time to get rid of the app. Their IT has enough trouble just keeping the website semi useful.

I think it’s time to quit wasting paper. The IT department uploads what they’re given. The app functions fine within those limits. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, markeb said:

I've actually seen changes between the time the daily planner was printed and the actual activity/event the next day. The app is frequently, but not always, more accurate. Apparently the daily planner is actually edited and printed onboard by the cruise director's staff, and the app probably relies on IT support off the ship. A lot depends on when the change occurs.

Weather can force a change in venue for an activity, that obviously isn't listed in the paper copy nor the app as it happens too fast.  And that has not been our experience, ever, regarding accuracy - the paper has been the gold standard and has been referred to as such by crew.

1 hour ago, lexmiller said:

Weather can force a change in venue for an activity, that obviously isn't listed in the paper copy nor the app as it happens too fast.  And that has not been our experience, ever, regarding accuracy - the paper has been the gold standard and has been referred to as such by crew.

Not disagreeing, just a different experience. But to be honest, there's no reason the app SHOULDN'T be the gold standard. They put the dailies out with the evening service, which starts around 5:00 pm. That means they probably cut off the information at 2:00, 3:00 at the latest to allow time to print and distribute them. The daily planner then goes out to around 3:00 am the following day. The later events in the day are over 24 hours out of date.

The app should be more or less "live". I don't know how they actually do it. Could be as simple as a "publish to app" button on the ship. You theoretically can change it as often as you need to, again depending on how they've set that up.

I would hope that both the paper daily and the app are pulling from the same activity data base. It's certainly possible that someone is sitting at a computer with a calendar up on one monitor and a MS Word screen on the other and typing things across by hand. That would be very sad...

(True computer war story. An organization I was in in the early 90s had a Wang computer that was used by the secretary for word processing. A year or so after I got there, they were upgrading(!) to Zenith 286 computers. Turned out she had been essentially copying pages for probably 5-6 years and she had one continuous document of probably 1000 or more pages that even on a DOS system was too big to fit on a single floppy to move to the new computer. I have visions of that...)

• Like 1

We are sailing in five days time, the activities have only started loading in the last two days, the theatre shows only appeared today. I wonder if there is a filter to hide the kids club activities? They seem to have a very busy schedule, but not relevant to us. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sail next Sunday and when I pull up the app I can't see any activities. So, they should be updating the app sometime before I board the ship? I have my Xpress pass on there already but the "Activity/Entertainment links are blank.

This is my first time back on Celebrity in 7 years and it looks like there are a lot of changes. 

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

I sail next Sunday and when I pull up the app I can't see any activities. So, they should be updating the app sometime before I board the ship? I have my Xpress pass on there already but the "Activity/Entertainment links are blank.

This is my first time back on Celebrity in 7 years and it looks like there are a lot of changes. 

Edge Alaska Dawes Passage 31 May showed up exactly two weeks prior.