QA Canaries 10 May Comments

exlondoner

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

You wanted to know about journals. The Cunard themed shop has something called a Cunard memorial notebook, nattily bound in eau de nil leather. Would that suffice? Still can’t get my internet to work.

We have no problem, in fact, we can’t quite believe how brilliant the internet connection is on the 'essential' package. See you at dinner and we can compare facilities.

For info.

I was told the reason some of the food might not be as hot as it should be ( we have had no problem) is there is no separate Grills kitchen any more and everything comes from one kitchen, Britannia.

Don't know where that information came from, but there is, as usual, a separate Grills galley.

Just had a cup of tea in PG for afternoon tea. Great tables set up and far better than QG.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We have no problem, in fact, we can’t quite believe how brilliant the internet connection is on the 'essential' package. See you at dinner and we can compare facilities.

Sorry, I was talking nonsense. The internet is brilliant: it is my email that won’t work, which I think may be something to do with BT. I have a feeling something similar happens the last time we went to the Canaries.

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

For info.

I was told the reason some of the food might not be as hot as it should be ( we have had no problem) is there is no separate Grills kitchen any more and everything comes from one kitchen, Britannia.

Don't know where that information came from, but there is, as usual, a separate Grills galley.

Just had a cup of tea in PG for afternoon tea. Great tables set up and far better than QG.

There is a certainly a large blank area on the plan which must surely be the Grills Galley.

Interesting about PG. I think QG is a lovely room, just not the seating arrangements.

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

There is a certainly a large blank area on the plan which must surely be the Grills Galley.

Interesting about PG. I think QG is a lovely room, just not the seating arrangements.

I agree on both counts. I really like the QG restaurant but unlike yourselves , I’m speaking with the benefit of a lovely table position too. 

• Like 1

I have just been for a wander in the sun around the outside areas of Decks 11-14. I am very impressed. There is a huge amount of outside sunning space, and, for Grills passengers at least, Deck 11 provides a most agreeable all round promenade. Oh, and I found a rust spot on our balcony, so I feel much at home. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Some may remember a most interesting review of a Cunard Med. trip by @Jam manI think. He asked about the incidence of pineapples on cabin doors. Just To say, so far, I have detected none. 

Or any form of decoration whatsoever. 😀

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

But how are the salt & pepper containers??

All the ones encountered so far are well matched but rather dull, like most of the ones on their other ships.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

it is my email that won’t work, which I think may be something to do with BT. I have a feeling something similar happens the last time we went to the Canaries.

I claim no expertise in this.

Is it possible that because you are accessing the BT email from a different internet system to normal (IP address), it might be looking for some 2nd stage verification that it is actually you?

That might be through a text to you, which you might have switched off to avoid roaming fees.

18 minutes ago, D&N said:

I claim no expertise in this.

Is it possible that because you are accessing the BT email from a different internet system to normal (IP address), it might be looking for some 2nd stage verification that it is actually you?

That might be through a text to you, which you might have switched off to avoid roaming fees.

Um. I don’t know.

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Um. I don’t know.

Perhaps something to ask BT's help people when you are back in UK, if you can be bothered.

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

You wanted to know about journals. The Cunard themed shop has something called a Cunard memorial notebook, nattily bound in eau de nil leather. Would that suffice? Still can’t get my internet to work.

That sounds like a new version of the journal, although it also sounds like the kind of condolence book that is put out for guests to sign at a memorial service. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

No Canapés in the grills lounge, you were lucky if you had a bowl of crisps 

That is wrong on so many levels, not even bar mix?

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Some may remember a most interesting review of a Cunard Med. trip by @Jam manI think. He asked about the incidence of pineapples on cabin doors. Just To say, so far, I have detected none. 

Or any form of decoration whatsoever. 😀

I love my new nickname but just to clarify, it was friend who was asking about the pineapples. I am a good boy with no need need for such knowledge 😌

He said to keep checking, they have gotten more discreet with their new found fame. Check for signs in the buffet. Has the pineapple display been rearranged in a southern direction 🤔

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

But how are the salt & pepper containers??

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

All the ones encountered so far are well matched but rather dull, like most of the ones on their other ships.

Let's hope they stay on their toes, I may have just recently booked my mom and I on another Cunard voyage and will expect standards to be met.

Don't think I've forgotten their trouble at seeing that the Cunard emblem on the plates is facing the correct direction either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Um. I don’t know.

Is your email asking you to sign in by any chance ?  I get problems with BT with third party wifi on trains and in certain hotels.  Apparently it is to do with shielding and firewalls.  If I switch off WiFi I still have to sign back into my email account.  BT told me to use webmail rather than the phone icon in these instances and although a little time is used doing this it does work. 

8 hours ago, Judyrem said:

That is wrong on so many levels, not even bar mix?

We were elsewhere before dinner last night but I saw crisps, olives and peanuts or it might have been a bar mix, on a table as we walked past. Didn’t look closely at all but I’ll look more closely, tonight.

Not a place we will think of using much but it was pretty full pre dinner so some obviously like it. Not seen it during the day so no idea how popular it is for morning coffee etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I love my new nickname but just to clarify, it was friend who was asking about the pineapples. I am a good boy with no need need for such knowledge 😌

He said to keep checking, they have gotten more discreet with their new found fame. Check for signs in the buffet. Has the pineapple display been rearranged in a southern direction 🤔

I hardly enter the buffet. Anyway, here it is called the Artisan’s Food Hall, for some inscrutable reason. Goodness knows why: it’s a buffet.

I had assumed your interest in the pineapple question is on the same basis as my own, mere spirit of intellectual inquiry. 😀

• Like 1

Interesting to find the things they don’t have, presumably because they are still in a warehouse at Southampton. No All-bran, which is quite a common cereal. I thought it might just be QG, and went to look in the Lido this am, but they didn’t have it either. The first night they didn’t have peppermint tea, but subsequently found that, which was good. I know the wines are always a bit random, but they didn’t have a straightforward Aussie Riesling I’ve had a number of times before. On the other hand, Sir Sam’s is probably rife with unicorn steaks.

One good thing from my point of view is that you can still get bar soap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We were elsewhere before dinner last night but I saw crisps, olives and peanuts or it might have been a bar mix, on a table as we walked past. Didn’t look closely at all but I’ll look more closely, tonight.

Not a place we will think of using much but it was pretty full pre dinner so some obviously like it. Not seen it during the day so no idea how popular it is for morning coffee etc.

I know this is like people saying they hated the food and the portions were too small, but it is just as well the bar isn’t popular, because it is quite small. I think it should be turned into a dining terrace and they should find somewhere else for the bar.