*LIVE* NCL Joy Bermuda 7-nite sailing from NYC in HAVEN-06/16/2024-w/pics

2 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

I would like to thank @debenson0723 @Sugar Magnolia and @graphicguyfor your terrific review and a sneak peak into your trip.  I felt like I was eavesdropping half the time!  Your banter was thoroughly entertaining, You all have the best senses of humor (humour?) and feed off each other perfectly.   It made me wish my trip on the Joy were several weeks earlier than it is just so I could try to meet you! Hopefully someday I will.

Thanks again for my vicarious adventure.  In a few weeks, I'll be experiencing it myself, but I'm sure my report wouldn't quite read the same..... 

Hope to meet you someday too,  We are easy to find...just look at the nearest Waterfront bar, Hope you have a wonderful time on the Joy, It's a fun ship.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I just looked up the fine for my 'speeding' ticket..$265. That is stupid. My brother in law just printed out the Oklahoma statutes and the posted speed was 45, while the 'suggested' speed around the curves I was driving was 30-35. The white sign supersedes the yellow suggested signs. So I am going to fight it (via certified letter to the Court). I think the officer saw an out of state license plate and thought I was an easy mark. Little did he know he is messing with the wrong woman.  Nothing to lose, worse that can happen is I go to jail (just kidding...I will just have to pay the fine). $265 will almost pay for my spa package in November!

Image 2.jpeg

• Haha 3

Well…taking the dog for a walk early this a.m. and stopped to chat with my neighbor with the TravelPro luggage setting up his garage sale.  

He asked if I was still interested in the luggage.  Looked at it again.  Seems legit, especially given he had the original tags in the box it came in.

I waffled.  

Asked him why he was selling it.  He Said it is his wife’s, who was diagnosed with breast cancer, so she wouldn’t need it for a while.

Well…heart strings tugged, and I liked it.  It has a little dirt in the wheels, but that’s about it.

So, in my garage, just lysol-ed it (looks new inside).  Wiped it down with clorox.  

My first use of it will hopefully be this Fall!

IMG_3955.jpeg

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Well…taking the dog for a walk early this a.m. and stopped to chat with my neighbor with the TravelPro luggage setting up his garage sale.  

He asked if I was still interested in the luggage.  Looked at it again.  Seems legit, especially given he had the original tags in the box it came in.

I waffled.  

Asked him why he was selling it.  He Said it is his wife’s, who was diagnosed with breast cancer, so she wouldn’t need it for a while.

Well…heart strings tugged, and I liked it.  It has a little dirt in the wheels, but that’s about it.

So, in my garage, just lysol-ed it (looks new inside).  Wiped it down with clorox.  

My first use of it will hopefully be this Fall!

😔 In a moment, all that concerned us became less concerning.

Depending on how she feels, you can share with your neighbors the places and adventures Platinum Blue has experienced, accompanied with photos.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

... TravelPro ... My first use of it will hopefully be this Fall!

Excellent "buy" and BTW, nice & shinny big wheels next to your pre-owned spinners 😉 😁 😂   Our oldest SIL is 78, her cancer was diagnosed nearly 30 years ago and she is one more living proof today (sailing with us again this Fall) ... reassure your neighbor all shall be fine upon early diagnosis & skilled interventions with advances in medicine ... thoughts & prayers for them. 

Have you checked your spam email folders lately ... within the past 72 hours and noticed anything, eBag Store is closed and now getting flooded with Samsonite marketing, free Standard Shipping with Orders of $250+  🙄 😬 😳 

Pulled out one of the 10 years old eBags 22" carry-on rollerboard, lifetime warranty and sturdy as ever, wear-n-tear but nothing broken or worn ... nope, not planning to buy any luggage ahead but been watching Away and Level8 as possible replacement for DW.   Just about 1 month+ before stepping onto the once "Friendly Skies" and head west, YVR bound for 10 nights Alaska ... gotta decide to tactically use eBags' MotherLode convertible backpack/expandable carry-on (19" or 22") or the rollerboard, first world problem.  UA's personal bag allowance is more "restrictive" size-wise but with priority boarding, hopefully, we'll at least fit all 6 carry-on overhead ... never a fan of the B737's going back to the 1980's.  

Meanwhile, waiting to see when T-Mo is going to roll out cellular to satellite (via Starlink) especially while roaming, sold & traded up the 2 years old Samsung S22+ to the newest S24, 7 years of updates & support ... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

😔 In a moment, all that concerned us became less concerning.

Depending on how she feels, you can share with your neighbors the places and adventures Platinum Blue has experienced, accompanied with photos.

What a great idea.  The neighbors are nice people.  

I know the big "C" isn't the death watch it used to be.  

As I told my neighbor, being I'm retired, if I can help, I will.  Seems like a hollow offer though, as I can only give the proverbial "hope and prayers".

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Excellent "buy" and BTW, nice & shinny big wheels next to your pre-owned spinners 😉 😁 😂   Our oldest SIL is 78, her cancer was diagnosed nearly 30 years ago and she is one more living proof today (sailing with us again this Fall) ... reassure your neighbor all shall be fine upon early diagnosis & skilled interventions with advances in medicine ... thoughts & prayers for them. 

Have you checked your spam email folders lately ... within the past 72 hours and noticed anything, eBag Store is closed and now getting flooded with Samsonite marketing, free Standard Shipping with Orders of $250+  🙄 😬 😳 

Pulled out one of the 10 years old eBags 22" carry-on rollerboard, lifetime warranty and sturdy as ever, wear-n-tear but nothing broken or worn ... nope, not planning to buy any luggage ahead but been watching Away and Level8 as possible replacement for DW.   Just about 1 month+ before stepping onto the once "Friendly Skies" and head west, YVR bound for 10 nights Alaska ... gotta decide to tactically use eBags' MotherLode convertible backpack/expandable carry-on (19" or 22") or the rollerboard, first world problem.  UA's personal bag allowance is more "restrictive" size-wise but with priority boarding, hopefully, we'll at least fit all 6 carry-on overhead ... never a fan of the B737's going back to the 1980's.  

Meanwhile, waiting to see when T-Mo is going to roll out cellular to satellite (via Starlink) especially while roaming, sold & traded up the 2 years old Samsung S22+ to the newest S24, 7 years of updates & support ... 

Henry...I thought of you.  I was too "cheap" to pull the trigger on the big "eBags shut down" sale, where there were great deals.  But, show me something shiny like that TravelPro, and my will gets weak.  LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

been watching Away and Level8 as possible replacement for DW.

On one of those days when it felt like I was living on the surface of the sun, I walked into the Away store in Soho for air conditioning relief, since I don't have a/c at home, still.

Away luggage is very well built, but I still don't like spinners or the clam shell design. I will stick with my 2-wheeled rollaboards. It's a shame too, because I like all the fun Away colors.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

On one of those days when it felt like I was living on the surface of the sun, I walked into the Away store in Soho for air conditioning relief, since I don't have a/c at home, still.

Away luggage is very well built, but I still don't like spinners or the clam shell design. I will stick with my 2-wheeled rollaboards. It's a shame too, because I like all the fun Away colors.

I was one of the "kickstarter", "Fundme" or whatever AWAY used to get off the ground.  So, I have had an Away Hardside check bag for 6-7 years.

Not sure if they've changed much.  The only caveat is the two sides of the clamshell have become flimsy, not broken, but hard to line up to zip shut.  When I first got it, it wasn't like that.  The zippers, while functional, have become "less smooth" to operate, too.

Given I've gone to mostly carry on, my AWAY bag is sitting in a closet.  Probably been 2+ years since I've used it, and not sure I'd pull it out for a long trip vs some sort of Costco luggage I have for long trips.

I think the AWAY luggage was fairly priced on the kickstarter campaign.  Now, it looks like they've gone up in price quite a bit.

One final comment....GET 'YE SOME A/C!  

😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Note for mking8288--On the news this morning out of Seattle, Washington, there is a huge wildfire burning in the Jasper (Alberta, Canada) and evacuations are being ordered in the city of Jasper.  At the moment there are over 500 wildfires burning in the States of Washington and Oregon.  Checking the Seattle Space Needle webcam a few minutes ago, Seattle is covered in smoke again.  Doubt if we get any real relief until mid to late September.  If you or any of party going on the QE next month have breathing problems, take whatever precautions you can.  Where I live (320 miles Southeast of Seattle), it is going to be a very smoky day.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

... told my neighbor, being I'm retired, if I can help, I will ... as I can only give the proverbial "hope and prayers" 

16 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Keep offering...that is real help...been there

Go "all in" with just being a good neighbor in case they feel a need.  100% on what Sy said.  Could be as simple as giving them a ride to the appointment, picking up basic necessities & groceries along the way for them ... a homemade basket of fruits & cookies as a special treat, etc. etc. - be creative and surprise them.  Something as simple as giving them a big & friendly hug ...   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure if they've changed much.  The only caveat is the two sides of the clamshell have become flimsy, not broken, but hard to line up to zip shut.  When I first got it, it wasn't like that.  The zippers, while functional, have become "less smooth" to operate, too.

That's good to know. What I saw looked and felt solid. The wheels were also the smoothest after testing many, though I still won't use spinners.

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think the AWAY luggage was fairly priced on the kickstarter campaign.  Now, it looks like they've gone up in price quite a bit.

Yes they are pricey. They just came out with a line of softside luggage, but they are heavier than the hardside counterparts. I'll stick with my bargain basement Travelpro, though you still got the better deal.

I have a closet full of old Tumi luggage that weigh a ton. On a cruise a few years ago when my cabin attendant delivered my luggage, he asked whether I had a dead body in my luggage. I asked him why he assumed the body was dead. He was rather humorless, unfortunately...the cabin attendant, not the body.

• Haha 3

@www3traveler  With much thanks, Mandy for the heads up ... Going to quite an adventure, huh.  Reykjavik volcanic disruption threats for our Prima TA and wildfire in the Pacific NW and Canada ... global climate changes are real, here we are taking a short pause as temperature out East  are going be up again starting this weekend.  Stockpile of KN95 and KF94 respirator masks are good, along with regular 3-ply facial mask ... flying in early, AirBnB (condo apartment for 6) in Richmond, BC for several days and then head to Canada Place to embark on the QE 8/30.  Will get an extra "script" of inhaler & nasal spray, just in case.  

Haven't started early packing yet ... really should, Cunard doesn't have an App - things done on mobile browser only, going to be an interesting adventure as newbie - not going to be Live, probably very limited "Semi" not here - that we'll start early before leaving.  Seemed like a good # of NCL "addicts" are checking out the competition like we do, maybe YVRTeacher will be back to help with a bit of cheerleading & insider's tips, haha, loving her Princess reporting.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Go "all in" with just being a good neighbor in case they feel a need.  100% on what Sy said.  Could be as simple as giving them a ride to the appointment, picking up basic necessities & groceries along the way for them ... a homemade basket of fruits & cookies as a special treat, etc. etc. - be creative and surprise them.  Something as simple as giving them a big & friendly hug ...   

What great suggestions.

• Like 1

@Sugar Magnolia

Have a Tumi briefcase and two wheel roll aboard from my international work travel days....both did duty weekly for many years and were quite functional.  I think both are over a decade old.  And as you point out, compared to today's luggage, heavy to haul around.

With no A/C you will melt away to nothing, I fear!!!!!!  @debenson0723 would NEVER dream of not being in A/C!!!!

Image 3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

@Sugar Magnolia

Have a Tumi briefcase and two wheel roll aboard from my international work travel days....both did duty weekly for many years and were quite functional.  I think both are over a decade old.  And as you point out, compared to today's luggage, heavy to haul around.

With no A/C you will melt away to nothing, I fear!!!!!!  @debenson0723 would NEVER dream of not being in A/C!!!!

Image 3.jpeg

Funny you mention that...the A/C was out in our whole office building for about 2 weeks. Had portable units brought in but all they did was churn the hot air. Every time it was "fixed" a pump would go out. Or a breaker. Was doing the homeless routine, like @Sugar Magnolia. Now that it's working we keep the temp on meat locker. It's freezing but no one is complaining. Better too cold than too hot!

And I love that melting photo.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

... AWAY luggage was fairly priced ... looks like they've gone up in price quite a bit ... 

9 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

... The wheels were also the smoothest after testing many, though I still won't use spinners.

... they are pricey ... softside luggage ... are heavier than the hardside.  

Most well-build luggage will survive multiple trips over the years, especially carry-on that doesn't end up being gate checked ... and not from being dropped from the jet-bridge ramp "straight" down to the tarmac.  Flight crews simply just don't check their TravelPro "pro" bags even while deadheading - among the first to board & take the prime space on flights and off-duty ones are always well taken care of by others on the job.  Rest of us gotta do what we need to - retired my Kirkland Signature 23" expandable carry-on (from Costco - 15 years ago) that was once my "go to" on domestic flights, especially JetBlue as it's within the allowance, darn thing is 12 lbs empty ... don't even think about using that to flying international where carry-on are increasingly limited to 10 kg/22 lbs.  That beast had been to Asia a # of times and taken a good # of closed-loop cruises, curbside-to-ship-to-home again, even for 12 to 15 days (NCL's "free" laundry helps, of course)  Nowadays, gotta double-check with the portable luggage scale & tape measure or else get challenged by the gate "police" with the sizer eager to collect fines.  

Anyone doing Bermuda and/or Canada/NE soon on NCL or otherwise, appeared that cabins are available for last minute booking, prices ... #cough #cough and not seeing deals for solo cruisers.  @Sugar Magnolia  are you still going to kickoff the Fall series eastbound on the Sky 😉 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

are you still going to kickoff the Fall series eastbound on the Sky 😉 

Sky Prima Encore...shhhhhhhh

Family obligations have kept me grounded for the past few weeks. Otherwise I would be flying to Reykjavik right now for the Prima...10 day cruise under $1,000 for solo inside. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

@www3traveler  With much thanks, Mandy for the heads up ... Going to quite an adventure, huh.  Reykjavik volcanic disruption threats for our Prima TA and wildfire in the Pacific NW and Canada ... global climate changes are real, here we are taking a short pause as temperature out East  are going be up again starting this weekend.  Stockpile of KN95 and KF94 respirator masks are good, along with regular 3-ply facial mask ... flying in early, AirBnB (condo apartment for 6) in Richmond, BC for several days and then head to Canada Place to embark on the QE 8/30.  Will get an extra "script" of inhaler & nasal spray, just in case.  

Haven't started early packing yet ... really should, Cunard doesn't have an App - things done on mobile browser only, going to be an interesting adventure as newbie - not going to be Live, probably very limited "Semi" not here - that we'll start early before leaving.  Seemed like a good # of NCL "addicts" are checking out the competition like we do, maybe YVRTeacher will be back to help with a bit of cheerleading & insider's tips, haha, loving her Princess reporting.  

Glad Yvonne is having a good time ( other than this morning's breakfast).  Given that she has not said anything about Dad in several days, I wonder how things are for him at the moment.  A former NCL Captain lives about mid Vancouver Island and is currently a British Columbia Ferry Captain says that the smoke is really thick in the Inside Passage.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Most well-build luggage will survive multiple trips over the years, especially carry-on that doesn't end up being gate checked ... and not from being dropped from the jet-bridge ramp "straight" down to the tarmac.  Flight crews simply just don't check their TravelPro "pro" bags even while deadheading - among the first to board & take the prime space on flights and off-duty ones are always well taken care of by others on the job.  Rest of us gotta do what we need to - retired my Kirkland Signature 23" expandable carry-on (from Costco - 15 years ago) that was once my "go to" on domestic flights, especially JetBlue as it's within the allowance, darn thing is 12 lbs empty ... don't even think about using that to flying international where carry-on are increasingly limited to 10 kg/22 lbs.  That beast had been to Asia a # of times and taken a good # of closed-loop cruises, curbside-to-ship-to-home again, even for 12 to 15 days (NCL's "free" laundry helps, of course)  Nowadays, gotta double-check with the portable luggage scale & tape measure or else get challenged by the gate "police" with the sizer eager to collect fines.  

Anyone doing Bermuda and/or Canada/NE soon on NCL or otherwise, appeared that cabins are available for last minute booking, prices ... #cough #cough and not seeing deals for solo cruisers.  @Sugar Magnolia  are you still going to kickoff the Fall series eastbound on the Sky 😉 

@mking8288 We are on the Gem, B2B coming up, the last one for Bermuda and the first one for Canada, does this count for the " fall " season?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Sky Prima Encore...shhhhhhhh

Family obligations have kept me grounded for the past few weeks. Otherwise I would be flying to Reykjavik right now for the Prima...10 day cruise under $1,000 for solo inside. 

Epic TA just dropped the solo supplement. Now $788 for inside...or at least it was yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Henry, just to put another monkey wrench in your Alaskan plans, the highway between Skagway and the Canadian border is now closed because of a massive mud and rock slide.  The Whitehorse Train excursion is also affected.  Passengers from a Holland America and A Princess ship on the train excursion are having to be bused 5 hours around the slide area to meet their ships in Haines.  From the video I have seen posted, this is going to take a long time to fix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1