Another live from Explora I departing LA 12th May

We have now dined at all restaurants and have found the quality of food and service to be excellent at all. My standout is Shakura and my partner’s is Fil Rouge. None of the restaurants have felt overly busy. I do prefer the lack of a main dining room and to date I have had no issue with finding something new to eat on each visit, although as others have said as I start to look to my next 10 nights on board I can see this starting to get a bit repetitive and therefore a rotated menu would be an improvement.

We managed to secure a booking at each Shakura and Marble and Co before we arrived and then on our first day managed to get another booking at each later in the week. In addition I have found that the staff do their best to try and accommodate where there are able for example this evening they have extended a couple we met on boards booking from a two to a six to allow us and other two to join them. It will be interesting to see if this changes next week when more passengers are on board.

The Med YC and Shakura open at lunchtime on sea days although as yet we haven’t taken advantage of this as we love the Emporium Grill concept. There is a small outside seating area here with a variety of table sizes and banquet style seating which is nice if like me you like to dine outside. It is quite a walk to the food though and therefore you definitely get your steps in! There are also a few tables by the conservatory pool but again unless you want ice-cream it’s a long way from the food and would not be easy for some passengers to carry food that distance. Saying that on occasions a helpful waiter/waitress has taken my plate and carried it back to the table. I do miss the variety of outdoor dining that they had on Seabourn which extended to evening options too. Another  point, is that the aircon in Emporium is very effective and can be extremely cold. The that may be welcome for some particularly as it has been humid the last few days but it was a little too chilly for my liking. 

I really cannot fault the food at all, absolutely delicious and something to meet all tastes. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, English Tim said:

Even got speciality restaurant food delivered to our suite when  I was ill.

Thank you Tim for your updates on the ship as well as your health

Alm the best

David 

• Like 1

The ship still continues to impress and I am so very pleased (ok well smug) that whilst a number of guests depart tomorrow I still have another week onboard 😊. Today is a sea day and a rather wet and stormy one at that! Again the design of the ship excels as I have managed to find a comfortable bed at the conservatory pool, which now has its roof on creating a tropical delight and the perfect place to read my book, take a dip in the pool or sit in one of the whirlpools that face the ocean. The bar staff are working hard delivering refreshments and no area of the ship feels crowded despite everyone needing to be induce. Granted we are well under capacity and this could be a different story next week when numbers nearly double but for the moment anyway this is a perfect way to spend a day. Speaking to the head of service last night he feels that the staff are well prepared and excited to have a higher level of occupancy tomorrow

2790CC9F-1D14-44CF-A623-9B4CF3A1E8CF.jpeg

15B6B986-0261-4794-84F6-B8B933F57C10.jpeg

58B516A6-856A-451C-9B4D-ED4925D6607E.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sidney68 said:

The ship still continues to impress and I am so very pleased (ok well smug) that whilst a number of guests depart tomorrow I still have another week onboard 😊. Today is a sea day and a rather wet and stormy one at that! Again the design of the ship excels as I have managed to find a comfortable bed at the conservatory pool, which now has its roof on creating a tropical delight and the perfect place to read my book, take a dip in the pool or sit in one of the whirlpools that face the ocean. The bar staff are working hard delivering refreshments and no area of the ship feels crowded despite everyone needing to be induce. Granted we are well under capacity and this could be a different story next week when numbers nearly double but for the moment anyway this is a perfect way to spend a day. Speaking to the head of service last night he feels that the staff are well prepared and excited to have a higher level of occupancy tomorrow

2790CC9F-1D14-44CF-A623-9B4CF3A1E8CF.jpeg

15B6B986-0261-4794-84F6-B8B933F57C10.jpeg

58B516A6-856A-451C-9B4D-ED4925D6607E.jpeg

Hopefully, they have increased the temperature in the hot tubs, now that the weather is a little less humid. They were great when we first came on board, but sometime whilst I was laid up people complained that the hot tubs were too hot and so they reduced the temperature to my dismay.

We have just collected the brochure detailing the ships tours for the upcoming cruise and I must say it’s a real shock that the prices are so high. I cannot understand why they need to charge so much, when the cost of living is much lower than at home. 

• Like 1

An update on the conservatory pool.  Be prepared for a dripping roof I assume due to a build up of condensation… it’s like being in a rain forest! 🤣 also sleep being constantly disturbed by the frequent sounding of the Claxton blaring I assume due to poor vis ability… sending a message to the bridge to turn the volume down! 😉 pretty please 

11 minutes ago, registrar said:

Where is this cruise ending? And where is the next cruise going? What do the excursions cost?

I am not sure exactly where it ends but know that one leg ends in Panama tomorrow and then the next in Miami and then it goes on to Barcelona.. after that perhaps someone a little more knowledgeable will be able to comment. 

i am going to post separately on the excursions that we have undertaken via the ship (we have done some ship excursions and some we have arranged ourselves). They range I would say from euros 100-210 dependant upon the length and content. I will see if I can upload a list of the excursions we were offered on this cruise for your information 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 6:07 PM, saminina said:

You will not see a noticeable difference.   Reason being no noticeable difference in passenger count.  Source: one of the bar staff.   Oh, and common sense.

The count is increasing by almost 50%. The bar staff are correct they’ve been in training planning for it! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uktog said:

The count is increasing by almost 50%. The bar staff are correct they’ve been in training planning for it! 

Yes, we heard the passenger count was going up when Explora calls in Miami.

I'd say it's a good thing that the bar staff is preparing for the increased load.  The bartenders in the Explora Lounge and Astern Lounge were not the speediest, IMO.  On the other hand, the bartenders in the Lobby Lounge were great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

On the other hand, the bartenders in the Lobby Lounge were great.

Increased pax count should not impact the service at the lobby bar. Even with a half empty ship there was often no seating available. The extra people, like us, will just find another bar to frequent.

• Like 2

I am trying to keep an open mind but my near perfect ship has changed, the new clientele are younger and brasher than we had previously I am guessing a large population being influencers and TAs. It no longer has the sophisticated vibe that I look for on a cruise and I consider myself young at heart. I guess this is the clientele that Explora are looking to attract which is fine but I am not sure that it is for me. The astern pool resembles a paddling pool and vast swathes of guests try to cool down and a child splashes in the shallow water, a far cry from what we enjoyed last week. The staff I would say are working hard and whilst as you would expect service is slower, they are still attentive although are taken away from duties keep asking for people to not take glasses in the pool! It resembles a 5* all inclusive but not the luxury model I look for. The Astern lounge last night drowned out the two talented musicians through loud talking and a crying child. I am sure fine for most but not me unfortunately 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It’s unfortunate they are filling their Ships with these TA’s and influencers that take away from the luxury experience you’ve been fortunate to experience this past week. Both of my previous cruises on Explora with over 500 passengers had a lot of travel agents on them and my first was filled with crew members family too, which does not bother me as much as the TAs .

My most recent had extremely large groups of TA’s, 20 to 30+, all gathering in large groups and others walking aground the ship with their company lanyards around their necks, dining in large groups with officers in the restaurants. With 550ish passengers it didn’t terribly impact the experience, but I hate these large groups that take over an area that ultimately takes a way from us paying passengers experience. 

I love the ship, the food and staff but I don’t love the itineraries with the same Med and Caribbean cruises being offered and I really do not want to cruise with travel agents that get perks for bringing all their friends/family when I’m paying full fare. I’ve got one more in October on II and I try to choose off peak

times hoping they won’t be full, but it seems EJ just fills the ship with TA if the cabins are not selling.  

I hope it gets better for you and you continue to find joy in the ship and crew even with the new addition of these new passengers. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sidney68 said:

I am trying to keep an open mind but my near perfect ship has changed, the new clientele are younger and brasher than we had previously I am guessing a large population being influencers and TAs.

You are being far too kind with your description of newly boarded clientele.   In a way, I'm happy you are bearing witness to the atrocity upon us.  But, saddened you will spend a week with such slop.  I've spent the day in cabin and not a big deal to do same until Friday. 

Have written previously.  If the company chooses to pack the ship with influencers without qualifying them, they deserve to reap every benefit these people can bestow upon them.

Seriously, this current crop will yield a negative.   635 is passenger count.

• Like 2

Oh My!  I have been following your trip since you left LA.  This sounds pretty bad!

We are joining the ship in Miami on the 31st for the Transatlantic to Casablanca  I hope these undesirables get off in Miami and there isnt another load ready to board  Last I heard we will have 600 Passengers on that leg.

Fingers crossed that your dining experience remains excellent.  

• Like 2

What I particularly noticed today was the lack of consideration for other people, by getting the best vantage point and not worrying whether you are blocking someone else’s view, but there is so much space on the ship that is easy to go and find somewhere else to be.

The dealbreaker for me could be the brand of champagne when they advertise well-known brands and then deliver whatever they consider okay?

• Like 3

I am sorry to say that the service has deteriorated significantly. I have tried to give leeway to accommodate the change in passenger numbers but it is so dramatic I need highlight. Lunchtime in emporium I waited 15 mins to get a glass  of water - in the end I had the go up to the maitre D and ask if there was any service down our end of the restaurant? In the end he himself had to serve us. Empty plates were not removed and the whole experience resembled a very bad all inclusive buffet concept. Tonight, the restaurant still managed a good level of service but go into Explorer lounge and Journey’s lounge before and after dinner oh dear, what a change. We ordered drinks in a nearly empty explorer lounge before dinner and had to chase after 15 mins as our drinks hadn’t arrived, I don’t think they had clean glasses… In journeys lounge they were more interested in collecting dirty glasses from the previous show than taking new drinks orders. How things change! I really am trying so hard to not find fault but the change is so dramatic it is hard not to . 

As reported by other posters previously the evening entertainment needs work. The two singers have great voices but hearing similar songs night after night is repetitive! Overlay that on a two week cycle so that we are now on repeat of our first week and boy I am ready to scream! 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Sidney68 said:

I am sorry to say that the service has deteriorated significantly. I have tried to give leeway to accommodate the change in passenger numbers but it is so dramatic I need highlight. Lunchtime in emporium I waited 15 mins to get a glass  of water - in the end I had the go up to the maitre D and ask if there was any service down our end of the restaurant? In the end he himself had to serve us. Empty plates were not removed and the whole experience resembled a very bad all inclusive buffet concept. Tonight, the restaurant still managed a good level of service but go into Explorer lounge and Journey’s lounge before and after dinner oh dear, what a change. We ordered drinks in a nearly empty explorer lounge before dinner and had to chase after 15 mins as our drinks hadn’t arrived, I don’t think they had clean glasses… In journeys lounge they were more interested in collecting dirty glasses from the previous show than taking new drinks orders. How things change! I really am trying so hard to not find fault but the change is so dramatic it is hard not to . 

As reported by other posters previously the evening entertainment needs work. The two singers have great voices but hearing similar songs night after night is repetitive! Overlay that on a two week cycle so that we are now on repeat of our first week and boy I am ready to scream! 

OUCH

9 hours ago, English Tim said:

What I particularly noticed today was the lack of consideration for other people, by getting the best vantage point and not worrying whether you are blocking someone else’s view, but there is so much space on the ship that is easy to go and find somewhere else to be.

The dealbreaker for me could be the brand of champagne when they advertise well-known brands and then deliver whatever they consider okay?

Packing a ship with ill mannered free loaders is what would put me off booking beyond our current commitments.

I can’t get excited about whether they serve brand x or y alcohol. I bet in blind tasting many cannot tell the difference so I won’t let label snobbery influence my decision. In all our bookings I cannot see the brand of champagne mentioned, I always take marketing blurb with a pinch of salt anyway, switches of brands happen on all lines from time to time. 

7 hours ago, Sidney68 said:

Not good. Hope it picks up. I must admit I didn’t like the singers at all in November and was hoping for an improvement as we have realised our next 14 night cruise is 2x7 cruises (it was sold as a 14). I will be climbing the wall if it’s the same very average two in September. Only two singers is never going to work. They need to wise up on that one! 

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Packing a ship with ill mannered free loaders is what would put me off booking beyond our current commitments.

I can’t get excited about whether they serve brand x or y alcohol. I bet in blind tasting many cannot tell the difference so I won’t let label snobbery influence my decision. In all our bookings I cannot see the brand of champagne mentioned, I always take marketing blurb with a pinch of salt anyway, switches of brands happen on all lines from time to time. 

I think I phrased that badly. I don’t mind what the brand is as long as I like the taste. I’m undecided about the current offering. When we booked there was specific names mentioned and we look forward to drinking those around the ship, which we can’t and that does make a difference as we particularly like champagne. It was something that was completely different from other cruise lines, who generally use this well-known brands. 

My point was that I feel that with a new cruise line, they need to provide what they advertise and as long as they do that the standards of service and friendliness of the crew, plus the excellence of the food will persuade people to return.

I am shocked about the comments about poor service yesterday, as we were in the same restaurant and the service was as usual, excellent. The only issue we have had with service was on changeover day, when there didn’t seem to be so many crew around in the marketplace and I was told that some had been redeployed.

• Like 1

I am not so much of a champagne person, but looking online, Mercier is supposedly the most popular champagne in the French domestic market.

The thing I was disappointed with was the limited selection of vodkas.  From what I saw at the bars, Absolut is their 'well' vodka, and only Tito's and Grey Goose were on the shelf.  Thank goodness for the Grey Goose, at least.

• Like 3