Suitcase size & packing for a cruise

MSEm

#1 Rule: If you cannot handle your own bag then you have really over packed.

#2 Rule: pack at least 1 change of clothes in your carry on. We take 1 carry on and 1 backpack with a change of clothes in each.  Also all the meds go into 1 of the carry ons.

We also check 1 bag for liquids, curling iron, toiletry kit, dawn dish detergent for spots and sink washing & dryer sheets for sink wash items and clothes.  The smaller the bag, the less you overpack.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MSEm said:

Likely spoken by someone who doesn't want to use porters.

18 minutes ago, MSEm said:

The smaller the bag, the less you overpack.

And the less options you have for YOUR vacation.  I don't want to spend mine "sink washing", hanging clothes up to dry in my room, or being known as "the guy wearing that same blue shirt".

YMMV.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MSEm said:

#2 Rule: pack at least 1 change of clothes in your carry on. We take 1 carry on and 1 backpack with a change of clothes in each.  Also all the meds go into 1 of the carry ons.

We also check 1 bag for liquids, curling iron, toiletry kit, dawn dish detergent for spots and sink washing & dryer sheets for sink wash items and clothes.  The smaller the bag, the less you overpack.

I personally believe that packing is an "art" and we have refined our art of packing over the years.

We have never yet traveled with any overweight checked luggage (23kg) or any overstuffed carryon and we have everything that we ever need, and often more.

We take a lesson - still - from every cruise and vacation that we go on and that has helped us to refine how we pack.

I think that the main lesson we learned is that we always - each - have 2 changes in our carryon.

17 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Likely spoken by someone who doesn't want to use porters.

Porters are great if you are taking large checked bags, or any checked bags.  For checked bags, I really don’t care how big or how many.

My pet peeve is huge heavy carryons.  If the bag owner (or someone else in their party) can’t lift it into the overhead bin, then it should be checked.  And while I know many flights never check the size or number of carryons, that isn’t an excuse to exceed the size limits or bring on more bags than allowed.  Especially when people try to cram all of it into the overhead bins instead of using the space under the seats in front of them.

Boarding takes forever now, since so many people are going the carryon only route and often bringing more onto the plane than they can easily manage themselves.  I wish airlines did things in reverse, make checked bags free and charge for carryons.  It would make boarding so much faster.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, bookbabe said:

My pet peeve is huge heavy carryons.

Of course, it be hilarious if gate agents would ask which of their carry-ons is their personal item and will be going under their seat.

• Like 1

Over the years, I've set a couple of rules for packing. Carry what you have to have (meds, glasses, passport, change of clothes etc) in a small carry-on bag or backpack. One check-in bag. When I finish packing the checked bag, I re-think what I have and attempt to remove 1/3 third. Not always successful but I try. 😉 

21 hours ago, Mitina said:

Of course, it be hilarious if gate agents would ask which of their carry-ons is their personal item and will be going under their seat.

Works unless the airline has completely blocked the under-seat space with their equipment.  That has happened to us often enough. 

• Like 2

Over the years have found more and more of our checked bag taken up by non-clothes items like otc meds, especially when we're sailing to exotic locals.  That's why we love VO and self-serve laundry.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...