Live from the Sapphire Princess and Denali Explorer - Southbound - May 18-25

fpsphil

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from fpsphil! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

fpsphil was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Wasn’t going to do a live from for this cruise with the land portion and needing a full escape but with all the hub hub about the propulsion issues though I might as well.

This is our first (and my first) land tour and one way Alaska cruise and have been looking forward to this since the Crown Princess Alaska debacle that we were in almost 2 years ago to the day. While I may have little faith when it comes to some corporate decisions from Princess I think the Sapphire (full disclosure it’s our favorite ship in the fleet) will provide us a good journey southbound despite the incoming cruise issues.

We flew into Fairbanks Wednesday early AM and spent the day in downtown and hanging out at the lodge. The season is just barely starting up here so a lot of places including Pioneer park were still shut until next weekend. Princess Fairbanks Riverside has been great so far and have had 0 complaints so far. Off to the river boat this morning then down to Denali.

Will post more as internet allows during the land portion but once we are onboard will be providing updates on the new steakhouse concept and anything else that seems different or changed from many previous cruises onboard the Sapphire.

IMG_5133.jpeg

IMG_5124.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the live! Looking forward to hearing about "what's new" on the Sapphire. Have an amazing trip!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

Princess Fairbanks Riverside has been great so far and have had 0 complaints so far. 

Thank you so much for doing this! We fly to Fairbanks next Friday for our land tour before boarding Sapphire. I look forward to any reports you have!

I'm glad to hear the Princess Fairbanks Riverside is great for you. We are staying there 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend. Could you tell me if they still have the local shuttle service? If so, where does it go and how much? I've read old reports that it takes you downtown and some shopping venues, but those were mostly pre-pandemic.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Thank you so much for doing this! We fly to Fairbanks next Friday for our land tour before boarding Sapphire. I look forward to any reports you have!

I'm glad to hear the Princess Fairbanks Riverside is great for you. We are staying there 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend. Could you tell me if they still have the local shuttle service? If so, where does it go and how much? I've read old reports that it takes you downtown and some shopping venues, but those were mostly pre-pandemic.

Thanks again!

Shuttle was 10 dollars to the cultural center downtown and the holland America hotel, ran about every hour. We ended up just getting an Uber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for doing this live! We sail on Sapphire in a few weeks. Hoping for no mishaps during your voyage and that all issues will be resolved as Princess is stating. I'll be following along!

• Like 2

Made it to Denali. Today we are doing the natural history tour before heading down to McKinley Resort for tonight. Riverboat was great yesterday, really a good experience. Here are couple pics.

IMG_5203.jpeg

IMG_5241.jpeg

• Like 6

Been absolutely stunning here at Mt. McKinley lodge yesterday and today. Can’t ask for better weather.

We are off to the train to Whittier this afternoon. Super excited to be boarding tonight!

IMG_5444.jpeg

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_5464.jpeg

• Like 7

We are doing the same in June and are really looking forward to it.  Your pictures are amazing and Alaska is always spectacular.

We were on the Crown in 2022 last sailing before she went into dry dock, no missed ports and arrived on time to all ports IIRC.  Best part was not having to get off the ship until noonish on departure day.

This will be our first time on the Sapphire, love spending time in Skywalkers and Vines.

Thanks for posting!

Train and boarding.

Was an amazing train ride down to Whittier today. Weather was absolutely perfect until we got closer to the ship. Clear/scattered skies all the way down. We were on one of the smaller older trains but still enjoyed it. Really happy with the land tour other than chaos at the Chalet resort in Denali.

Boarding was super easy today. They brought port staff onboard in Anchorage to do our passports and give out medallions to those who didn’t have them yet. This was nice since we were the last train/group to join the ship boarding around 7:00

Great dinner in Santa Fe tonight as we sailed out. Ship and staff have been great and currently are doing 19 knots leaving Prince William Sound. Expecting 50knot winds tonight so captain gave us a heads-up it might be a bit choppy.

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5547.jpeg

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5564.jpeg

IMG_5578.jpeg

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_5581.jpeg

IMG_5590.jpeg

IMG_5601.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dickinson said:

Thanks for your report.  What is the Chalet resort in Denali and what was the chaos?  Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Wondering the same thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Wondering the same thing.

Felt very disorganized there. We got moved from the wilderness lodge to the Chalet and we were already having some issues with our schedules and packet not lining up with the others we are traveling with. Trying to find a person that could do the Princess logistics at the chalet was impossible until the morning of our departure. Also dinner in the steakhouse took almost 3 hours for mediocre food at best. Just felt disorganized, may have been early season growing pains but Fairbanks and Mt McKinley lodges were night and day difference

• Like 3

Picking up pilot for Hubbard Glacier at 3:30. A bit behind schedule due to sea and wind. Not mechanical or ship related.

Snow is expected in Glacier Bay tomorrow so that will be interesting

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

Felt very disorganized there. We got moved from the wilderness lodge to the Chalet and we were already having some issues with our schedules and packet not lining up with the others we are traveling with. Trying to find a person that could do the Princess logistics at the chalet was impossible until the morning of our departure. Also dinner in the steakhouse took almost 3 hours for mediocre food at best. Just felt disorganized, may have been early season growing pains but Fairbanks and Mt McKinley lodges were night and day difference

Where did you receive the packet?  At the hotel in Fairbanks?  We did have transfers but cancelled them as we don't need them otherwise we would have picked them up at the airport.

We didn't book the meal plan so I am hoping we won't have any issues with the restaurants at the lodges.

Good to know about the Chalet, hope they don't move us.  But one of the couples on our cruise I met in March so we should be able to compare information the first day.

Really enjoying your posts and pictures, we are just over a month now until we fly out.   Literally can't wait......

29 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Where did you receive the packet?  At the hotel in Fairbanks?  We did have transfers but cancelled them as we don't need them otherwise we would have picked them up at the airport.

We didn't book the meal plan so I am hoping we won't have any issues with the restaurants at the lodges.

Good to know about the Chalet, hope they don't move us.  But one of the couples on our cruise I met in March so we should be able to compare information the first day.

Really enjoying your posts and pictures, we are just over a month now until we fly out.   Literally can't wait......

We got packets each night. Fairbanks they have a booth at the airport next to baggage claim, chalet was when the bus arrived and when departing the chalet they gave us  packets for McKinley upon boarding the bus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fpsphil said:

We got packets each night. Fairbanks they have a booth at the airport next to baggage claim, chalet was when the bus arrived and when departing the chalet they gave us  packets for McKinley upon boarding the bus.

Thank you.  And the train, sorry I do all the booking, planning, etc and hubby basically shows up.lol.

• Like 1

Thanks for your live! We get on Saturday, so I’m happy to be getting first hand infomation. You said snow is expected tomorrow. Do you advise winter coats/clothes? Any other packing recommendations? Thanks!

Hubbard Glacier:

Weather was cold and rainy but we were able to get super super close. Happy we didn’t spend the extra money for the excursion that went even closer. We ended up probably less than 2 miles from the face

IMG_5748.jpeg

IMG_5730.jpeg

IMG_5684.jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

• Like 7

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Next month will be my 3rd Alaska cruise, but first time on Princess. I especially love the pics of the Patter. Thank you again and enjoy your cruise!!!

• Like 1