Dun Laoghaire Port to Dublin Question

Looking for advice from those who have made their way into Dublin from the Dun Laoghaire cruise port. We want to explore the city of Dublin. What is the best way to get from the pier to tourist sites?
Thank you!

Posted (edited)

We did not find cabs at all in the port area, so therefore took the train.

(It does appear they might have been further from the pier, but did not see where that would be)

It is a quick walk across the street from the pier, inexpensive & quick. 

Get off at Pearse Street--you are directly across from Trinity College campus, and easy to walk to Temple Bar area.

Since we got off early, lots not open yet, so we opted for a HOHO bus tour to get our bearings a bit. 

Guiness stew for lunch in the Temple Bar area.

The Irish Rock-n-Roll Museum was the highlight for me!!

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

(It does appear they might have been further from the pier, but did not see where that would be)

The nearest taxi stand is located on Marine Road, just across from the train station and 150 yards up the road straight in front (towards shopping centre).  However, I would prefer to use the train to get into Dublin centre quickly.  Better use of time and money.

Just so you will know for next time 😉

5 hours ago, KKB said:

I would personally just hop on the train but you can use Uber in Dublin to call a taxi to you (UberX doesn't exist but rather calls a traditional taxi). You can use UberBlack for higher end livery cars like normal. 

Just got home after my NCL Star cruise around Ireland, so this is still fresh in my mind!

NCL Star had an overnight stay in Dun Laoghaire, and when we alighted from the tender boats, there was a small tourist information kiosk and several people in red and green jackets promoting the 2 hop-on hop-off bus tour lines. I think there was a deal for a day's hopping on and off and the return train ticket, but I found it was better value to buy a EUR 5 day return and a 48 hour hopping ticket.

The very helpful man at the DART station recommended getting off the train at the Tara Street station. This is a few minutes walk from Trinity College and then crossing the river to the GPO.