(Ship) Shore excursion - scheduled to get back at sail away time???

I just got a notice of a time change for a shore excursion.  I have not been on a ship's shore excursion before (usually DIY or do a 3rd party), but in the port we are visiting - that was pretty much the only option.

The time of the excursion was moved to 3:30 PM.  It is a 3.5 hour excursion.  Ship is in port until 7PM.  This means the excursion is ending at 7PM.  This is also a tender port.  I'm just wondering how this is even possible if we are supposed to be back on board 30 minutes before sail away?

I tried calling to move to the earlier time for the excursion, which IS available (at 1:15).  But, being Celebrity, was told we could only cancel and pay prevailing prices (which is about $200 more). 

I did ask about the timing and was told it is fine, so guessing it is - just wondering why/how?  Maybe there's a schedule change for the ship coming and we are just not informed yet?

If anyone has had similar - where the excursion ends at the same time as sail away is set - how did that work?  Did they cut down excursion time to align with sail away or was it just done in advance of a port time change?  THANKS!

1 hour ago, Shiba_Lover said:

I just got a notice of a time change for a shore excursion.  I have not been on a ship's shore excursion before (usually DIY or do a 3rd party), but in the port we are visiting - that was pretty much the only option.

The time of the excursion was moved to 3:30 PM.  It is a 3.5 hour excursion.  Ship is in port until 7PM.  This means the excursion is ending at 7PM.  This is also a tender port.  I'm just wondering how this is even possible if we are supposed to be back on board 30 minutes before sail away?

I tried calling to move to the earlier time for the excursion, which IS available (at 1:15).  But, being Celebrity, was told we could only cancel and pay prevailing prices (which is about $200 more). 

I did ask about the timing and was told it is fine, so guessing it is - just wondering why/how?  Maybe there's a schedule change for the ship coming and we are just not informed yet?

If anyone has had similar - where the excursion ends at the same time as sail away is set - how did that work?  Did they cut down excursion time to align with sail away or was it just done in advance of a port time change?  THANKS!

Ship excursion no need to worry, they will sort it 

• Like 1

Since you are on a ship shore excursion you have no need to be concerned.  Even if it is a tender port the ship will not leave until all passengers on their cruise line sponsored shore excursions are onboard and accounted for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ship shore excursion they will get you back on time. If not , they will wait.

I would go to the excursion desk asap once onboard and ask for the earlier time with no price increase being as though they changed the time on your original booking.

We have been on three different cruise line shore excursions that came back late for all aboard.  In each case the ship waited for us.  Any cruise line excursion comes with a guarantee that the ship will either wait for you or they will get you to the next port at their expense (a cost they do not want to incur, so I have never heard them resorting to that option).

• Like 1

Thanks all - just very odd that they are scheduling an excursion that they know will result in a late time.  I figured most excursions that got back late were due to traffic or some other condition that just occurred during the excursion not something planned in advance😁.  Oh well - I guess it is what it is, and we'll just go with the flow.  

As others have said, they'll hold the ship - or if they absolutely cannot the cruiseline will cover your expenses getting you back.

When I was on RCCL in February, I did the ship-based shuttle to Disney World for a day at Disney Springs and resort hopping with a friend (managed a monorail ride to Epcot and back to the Ticket and Transportation Center too to at least go around Epcot and see The Journey of Water from the monorail). I knew good and well that the meet-up time back was going to be pushing it - all aboard was scheduled for 5pm and our meeting time was 4pm. So during Rush Hour when best-case of there is NO traffic it's an hour. I got on the first bus (or 2) and we left around 3:45 when we were full. We pulled into the lot at like 5:15. And we knew there was another bus at least 15 minutes behind us. They did wait, and the people on that bus did make it, but they were urged through the terminal as quickly as possible and literally as soon as the last one crossed into the ship the ramp was pulled and we were off.

Thanks again all.  The ship spends the next 2 days cruising in the Arctic circle, so I guessing there's plenty of time and daylight to wait a bit if we are late.

14 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

Thanks all - just very odd that they are scheduling an excursion that they know will result in a late time.  I figured most excursions that got back late were due to traffic or some other condition that just occurred during the excursion not something planned in advance😁.  Oh well - I guess it is what it is, and we'll just go with the flow.  

Not meaning to argue, but if it's booked through Celebrity it isn't a "late time".  That's why I often do ship tours.  Because if you are "late" the ship will wait for you.  Worst case scenario on a Celebrity tour, if you miss the ship they will get you to the next port at their expense.  Private tour and your bus breaks down 30 minutes before sailing?  Good luck with that.

I still book some private.  I'm looking at my Bali cruise in 6 months thinking I'm not excited about some of the Celebrity tours.  

15 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

As others have said, they'll hold the ship - or if they absolutely cannot the cruiseline will cover your expenses getting you back.

All very well in theory...unless you're in the Azores on a transatlantic! 😄