Do I need a transit visa at Frankfurt Airport?

thebeast74

We are US citizens with a US passport flying from DFW-FRA-OSLO on Lufthansa. We have a change in Frankfurt to another Lufthansa flight. I've spent hours researching if I need a transit visa at the Frankfurt airport and have read it both ways....yes, you need one....no, you don't. Can anyone tell me if you have recently had this experience?

I have never heard of a transit visa. But as mentioned, as of now, you don't need a visa to visit the EU. However, depending on when you are going, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization in the future. Its not a visa...much easier. Its coming, sometime in 2025, as of now.

I'm really curious what sources you were finding that say you do need one, because I would recommend people stay away from whatever the hell website that is. Not only do you not need one, but it's not even a transit in an immigration sense...you are entering the Schengen Zone in Frankfurt, which covers both Germany and Norway. Transit visas usually apply when you're going from Country A to Country C via Country B...in this case, as far as immigration is concerned, you're going from Country A to Country B via Country B. 

19 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

You do not need any visa if you are a US citizen anywhere in the EU.

In most cases, true. And in OP's case (for tourism or for business), true. But sometimes US citizens do need visas to go to the Schengen Zone (which is different than the EU). For example, if you plan to work there, or study there for an extended period, or spend more than the allotted visa-free time. Like I said, these don't apply to OP, but there are cases where US citizens would need a true visa (not just an ETIAS) to go to EU and/or Schengen. 

Just now, Zach1213 said:

I'm really curious what sources you were finding that say you do need one, because I would recommend people stay away from whatever the hell website that is. Not only do you not need one, but it's not even a transit in an immigration sense...you are entering the Schengen Zone in Frankfurt, which covers both Germany and Norway. Transit visas usually apply when you're going from Country A to Country C via Country B...in this case, as far as immigration is concerned, you're going from Country A to Country B via Country B. 

In most cases, true. And in OP's case (for tourism or for business), true. But sometimes US citizens do need visas to go to the Schengen Zone (which is different than the EU). For example, if you plan to work there, or study there for an extended period, or spend more than the allotted visa-free time. Like I said, these don't apply to OP, but there are cases where US citizens would need a true visa (not just an ETIAS) to go to EU and/or Schengen. 

Yes you are right. I was just referring to tourists less than 90 days.

Thank you. The transit visa is something used at the Frankfurt airport for transfers from non schengen countries to schengen countries. It's quite confusing and contradictory information is out there depending where you look.

6 minutes ago, thebeast74 said:

The transit visa is something used at the Frankfurt airport for transfers from non schengen countries to schengen countries.

No, it isn't.

As Zach1213 explained above, that's not a transit. If you're transferring at Frankfurt from a non-Schengen country to a Schengen country, you either need a Schengen entry visa to enter Schengenland there, or else you do not need a visa.

And almost all US tourists do not need a visa.

• Like 2

From the FRA website:

• You are arriving from an airport in a non-Schengen country and are traveling to a destination within the Schengen Area:  You will probably have to clear a border check. Depending on your nationality, you may require a transit visa. If in doubt, please contact an embassy or consulate of your country.

2 minutes ago, thebeast74 said:

From the FRA website:

• You are arriving from an airport in a non-Schengen country and are traveling to a destination within the Schengen Area:  You will probably have to clear a border check. Depending on your nationality, you may require a transit visa. If in doubt, please contact an embassy or consulate of your country.

See this site and discover that US citizens do not require the transit visa.

https://www.germany.info/us-en/service/visa/airport-transit-visa/924624

I think that website explains it pretty clearly. I don't know how I missed it because I searched for quite a while. Thank you everyone for your help. I knew I should have come to cruise critic first.

1 hour ago, thebeast74 said:

It's quite confusing and contradictory information is out there depending where you look.

I think you can stop looking. Any site saying the normal US passport holder on tourist or business purposes needs a visa is just wrong. I enter Schengenland on a US passport for tourist and business purposes 10-12x yearly and as of six days ago when I last entered Schengen, I didn't need a visa. 

• Like 1