Meraviglia Bermuda - 8pm departure?

SnorkelFool

I just saw that the Aug and Sept sailings to Bermuda on Meraviglia don’t depart Brooklyn until 8pm which surprised me. I’m kind of bummed with the later departure time. Curious if anyone knows why they leave NY so late when the ship is set to arrive by 7am from the prior cruise?

You should be thrilled! A night-time sail away from NYC is an awesome experience! Why are you bummed about the late departure as long as you still make it to Bermuda on time?

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I hadn’t thought of it in that way. I drive into NYC all the time, so seeing it lit up is something I see regularly, but a sail away in the evening would be a unique way to see it. I was

more focused on less ocean time, and spending the day on the ship while still docked. Thanks again for giving me a new perspective on it! 

Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty are beautiful when sailing away at night and going under the Verrazzano bridge somehow feels a little more death-defying at night as well. Enjoy it!

One thing worth noting when in port that long is that, if you don't have a drink package, you will be paying NY taxes on more drinks. In my experience so far sailing out of NYC on MSC, they only charge you the per-drink tax if you don't have a package and are paying for drinks individually.

Luckily, we have the easy plus package for drinks. The MSC app currently shows my embarkation time as 5pm. That is a wasted ship day if I don’t get on until then. Any insight on showing up earlier? I really prefer to get on ship much earlier in the day. 

1 hour ago, SnorkelFool said:

Luckily, we have the easy plus package for drinks. The MSC app currently shows my embarkation time as 5pm. That is a wasted ship day if I don’t get on until then. Any insight on showing up earlier? I really prefer to get on ship much earlier in the day. 

MSC does not enforce arrival times at all. Show up when you want!

54 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

MSC does not enforce arrival times at all. Show up when you want!

I should have said MSC does not enforce arrival times for US cruises. I am not sure what their procedure is in international ports.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I should have said MSC does not enforce arrival times for US cruises. I am not sure what their procedure is in international ports.

Yes,,,they don't enforce arrival times, but it doesn't mean they allow boarding.  If the ship is docking at 7am...and departing at 8pm, they may be doing something on the ship and delay boarding.

3 hours ago, oceans.calling said:

We were given 1:00 embarkation time on our Aug cruise.

No, you were given a 1 PM check in time. 

How long you have to wait before boarding can vary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, SnorkelFool said:

I just saw that the Aug and Sept sailings to Bermuda on Meraviglia don’t depart Brooklyn until 8pm which surprised me. I’m kind of bummed with the later departure time. Curious if anyone knows why they leave NY so late when the ship is set to arrive by 7am from the prior cruise?

Thanks for posting this, I never noticed that the departure time was 2000 for my September cruise. I'll be glad to depart in the evening for the viewing, but this may have me looking at other transportation options as I was originally planning to drive and this makes things a bit more flexible for me.

• Like 1

Since we are in the Yacht Club, embarkation times really don’t matter. On the website it states embarkation time, not check in time. We usually get on as soon as we get there around 11ish, never really had to wait. 

We just booked a cruise for MSC Meraviglia for Sept 29th and our booking confirmation shows the departure time out of Brooklyn is 6pm.  Where does it show that they are leaving for 8 pm?

It really does not matter what time they leave for us, just as long as we are on it.  😄

21 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i just returned from the 6 day bermuda cruise and when i saw one more day for 400 bucks cheaper than the 6 day, had to book it, plus love the night lights. 

How did you like the Bermuda cruise? Did you just have 2 days in port?

Never been to Bermuda, but I love the Meraviglia and am looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, Anastas617 said:

How did you like the Bermuda cruise? Did you just have 2 days in port?

Never been to Bermuda, but I love the Meraviglia and am looking forward to it. 

9 am tues to 3pm thurs. was great! friendly people and you can ask the bus drivers to stop where you want to go if you dont know where to stop. 19 bucks for a one day pass to the ferry/bus system. we knew we just needed a ferry ride the one day and its 5 bucks each way. cash is ok for that. Make sure you find out before you go what you need. saw people very confused when they got to the front of the line.

the bus system is so easy that you dont need a ship excursion unless you do it the last day and are worried about return to the ship. there are touristy things near the dock but taking the ferry to hamilton and st george really opens up possibilities. we had the most perfect weather of any of the dozen cruises ive been on and i know it will never be that way again so i appreciated it pretty much 70 ish every day. zero rain. no crazy winds.

restaurants are more than our hometown but thats because everything is imported. matter of fact i had more variety in my local store than they did in bermuda. was shocked to see some basic things like the very local iced tea here, in bermuda. but in different countries i like to buy unique brands/kinds of potato chips.

pick just a handful of things to do. cant do it all. this will be my 4th trip. hope to get a few more things under my belt or just relive the fun ones. for me thats the jungle and swizzle in. mini golf is good the last day when you wanna stay close to the port

• Thanks 1

Having a late departure of 8:00 pm is to accommodate European passengers arriving on afternoon flights and then being able to board those Bermuda cruises. 

2 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Having a late departure of 8:00 pm is to accommodate European passengers arriving on afternoon flights and then being able to board those Bermuda cruises. 

they werent following that on the april cruise  we departed at 4